Hammering?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, its difficult to understand what you are saying with the way you use your words. If your profile is up to date, then I take it you're not a WC practitioner? If so, I can understand why you aren't grasping the concept. WC movements are different then most martial arts. I laugh at the thought of calling a practitioner an athlete though. Well, there may be athletes...that happen to know WC, but becoming an athlete from WC is nearly impossible unless you're doing things wrong.

From practicing WC my arms and chest have lost muscle. 6 pack? yeah right. I use that mini buddah down there to generate power.

There is one guy in our class that is somewhat muscular. He has the most difficult time, compaired to the rest of the class, doing the motions properly.
So you are saying WC is a non-athletic system?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would love that. I think that everyone has there "maximum velocity" when WC is concerned though. There's no need to be faster then really fast. As long as you are relaxed and applying your structure properly, you will be utilizing WC to its fullest potential. If I try to will my fist out any faster, it may possibly come out slower because of the addition thought process of "faster".

I definately disagree that you can't get faster. I thought I was fast until I saw other guys doing stuff! I trained with them and they got me faster. look at athletes. Everyone thought Linford Christie had reached his peak, but he still pressed on and beat his times.

However, please remember that if you get too fast, you start sacrificing power for speed. You need a balance between the two

Touch of Death, I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to a stick. Are you referring to the Roman technique of using heavy wooden swords for training and then switching to lighter, metal ones for battle, as they would move faster?

Wing chun is not an athletic system. Every school I have trained under has never given me a great workout (we sometimes do a hard warm up in various classes at Kamon). I wouldn't call a wing chun student an athlete
Most dictionaries define it as someone who does track and field or sports

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I definately disagree that you can't get faster. I thought I was fast until I saw other guys doing stuff! I trained with them and they got me faster. look at athletes. Everyone thought Linford Christie had reached his peak, but he still pressed on and beat his times.

However, please remember that if you get too fast, you start sacrificing power for speed. You need a balance between the two

Touch of Death, I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to a stick. Are you referring to the Roman technique of using heavy wooden swords for training and then switching to lighter, metal ones for battle, as they would move faster?

Wing chun is not an athletic system. Every school I have trained under has never given me a great workout (we sometimes do a hard warm up in various classes at Kamon). I wouldn't call a wing chun student an athlete

Yeah, we seem to disagree on a lot on the concepts of WC. How can you make your relaxed punch faster, if you aren't using the muscles? heeeh? lol Take a look at bruce lee's punches....they just shoot out there. That's a WC punch. No time to think faster because yer fist comes out as soon as you think it. With WC you don't sacrifice power with speed. Speed just happens to be there, the power comes from the rotation on the center axis and the amount of structure the practitioner has. Don't try and be faster, just be faster by not worrying about it.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, we seem to disagree on a lot on the concepts of WC. How can you make your relaxed punch faster, if you aren't using the muscles? heeeh? lol Take a look at bruce lee's punches....they just shoot out there. That's a WC punch. No time to think faster because yer fist comes out as soon as you think it. With WC you don't sacrifice power with speed. Speed just happens to be there, the power comes from the rotation on the center axis and the amount of structure the practitioner has. Don't try and be faster, just be faster by not worrying about it.
Huh? What are you using to move your arm if not muscles? You train the arm to build in muscle memory and speed all the way through your wing chun training. If you look back at when you first started wing chun to how you train now, you are most definately faster. If you look back in a years time, you will be faster still. Certainly if you watch Ip Chun and see how fast he is even at his age, it will inspire you

And as for Brucies punches - they weren't wing chun. In Enter The Dragon, a majority of his punches came from Chinese boxing, Western boxing and related more from his JKD theories than wing chun

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Huh? What are you using to move your arm if not muscles? You train the arm to build in muscle memory and speed all the way through your wing chun training. If you look back at when you first started wing chun to how you train now, you are most definately faster. If you look back in a years time, you will be faster still. Certainly if you watch Ip Chun and see how fast he is even at his age, it will inspire you

And as for Brucies punches - they weren't wing chun. In Enter The Dragon, a majority of his punches came from Chinese boxing, Western boxing and related more from his JKD theories than wing chun

Muscle memory in WC is applied a bit differently then other fighting styles. It's used very minimally because we don't want to become dependent upon it. As you approach an attacker you will use many tiny muscle memory actions as appose to a couple of larger muscle memory combos. Students that train WC tend to believe that their timing drills and sensitivity drills are there to build muscle memory. When in fact, they should be working on just timing and sensitivity. Those drills are really fun and cause an untrained student to head in the wrong direction.

Our muscle memory should only be used for single action attacks or defends. The reason being, with WC, as you fight you actually right a story and it's funny because you call out the actions in your head. You want to go through the battle answering the opponents questions with the correct answers. You'll actually hear in your head: bong, fook, taan, punch punch. This happens naturally because of sensitivity drills. Not learning how to repeatedly do a certain combo over and over until that combo just happens without though.

Oh, and dude....WC is Chinese boxing. And JKD can use western boxing punches but also uses WC punches at the same time.

Who isn't slower at anything, when they first start. Everyone in WC goes through that process, just as you would any obstacle in life. You wont get faster, using WC, until you over come fear and learn to remain relaxed....then you will have your optimum punch, that cannot be sped up by training physically....but mentally.

I used to train, under two different instructors, and they used the sensitivity and timing drills as a way to create muscle memory. I still to this day am working on removing that info from my head.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our muscle memory should only be used for single action attacks or defends. The reason being, with WC, as you fight you actually right a story and it's funny because you call out the actions in your head. You want to go through the battle answering the opponents questions with the correct answers. You'll actually hear in your head: bong, fook, taan, punch punch. This happens naturally because of sensitivity drills. Not learning how to repeatedly do a certain combo over and over until that combo just happens without though.

The last word in the paragraph should be "thought"

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

One thing I was not doing was refering to using heavy objects to get faster; it was quite the opposite, actually, as that would make you slower.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The last word in the paragraph should be "thought"
Exactly, you should have muscle memory for a path of action. There is only a best path for your strike or the lesser, and its lesser because of the physical damage it can cause you, as well as being a less effective blow.
Sean

Latest Discussions