Hammering?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't say never. The only way to get fast is to move fast
speed doesnt come from muscle or practicing rapid punches. A fast WC practitioner gets to this level by learning to relax and focusing on efficiency. All moves must go from point "a" to point "b" without over exerting the motion. Over exertion will cause you to have to correct with another improper motion. So pretty much speed comes from accuracy and experience. Practicing to move fast will cause you to tense up.
. Yes, you will probably sacrafice technique at first
, but once you understand where the alignment is, the stops and bad habbits you gain by going slow will have to be eliminated eventualy. For instance, when moving slow you use muscles, that aren't normaly asociated with the punch, simply to support the weight of your arm.
Sean

thinking of where things stop is a bad habit in itself. Just get the movements out there and they will stop themselves. If you anticipate stopping something, you are then put into a situation to where you have to hit the brakes on which ever body part you're shooting forward. So going into that punch, or whatever move, you're already tensed up.....not relaxed.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
speed doesnt come from muscle or practicing rapid punches. A fast WC practitioner gets to this level by learning to relax and focusing on efficiency. All moves must go from point "a" to point "b" without over exerting the motion. Over exertion will cause you to have to correct with another improper motion. So pretty much speed comes from accuracy and experience. Practicing to move fast will cause you to tense up.

thinking of where things stop is a bad habit in itself. Just get the movements out there and they will stop themselves. If you anticipate stopping something, you are then put into a situation to where you have to hit the brakes on which ever body part you're shooting forward. So going into that punch, or whatever move, you're already tensed up.....not relaxed.
So, using a stick cause you to move fater than you could naturaly, does that make you tense up?
Sean

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Using a stick will help you learn to move your muscles faster, and therefore be an aid to punching faster. That is where a stick comes in.
sean

Just a regular stick from a tree? or are you talking about Kahlea Escrima? I'm not grasping the stick concept. Can you go more in depth please? I'd like to know and am not trying to be sarcastic in anyway :D

I know that a fast fighter is known as being agile. Agility comes from being able to move your structure around quickly and nimbly. Being nimble comes from practicing relaxation and knowing how to move with looseness and fluidity. Agility doesn't come from building or training a muscle to move fast, it comes from learning to move and remain relaxed.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a regular stick from a tree? or are you talking about Kahlea Escrima? I'm not grasping the stick concept. Can you go more in depth please? I'd like to know and am not trying to be sarcastic in anyway :D

I know that a fast fighter is known as being agile. Agility comes from being able to move your structure around quickly and nimbly. Being nimble comes from practicing relaxation and knowing how to move with looseness and fluidity. Agility doesn't come from building or training a muscle to move fast, it comes from learning to move and remain relaxed.
So the whole fast twitch and slow twitch muscle training debate is not applicable to punching?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So the whole fast twitch and slow twitch muscle training debate is not applicable to punching?

I've never even hear of fast or slow twitch before. Is it WC you are talking about? Twitching, my understanding, is an uncontrolled muscle contraction. Kind of like erroneous electrical signals flowing through the nervous system. This can't be related to what you're talking about. Heroin users twitch.

Are you talking about the tension created just before contact on the one inch punch?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never even hear of fast or slow twitch before. Is it WC you are talking about? Twitching, my understanding, is an uncontrolled muscle contraction. Kind of like erroneous electrical signals flowing through the nervous system. This can't be related to what you're talking about. Heroin users twitch.

Are you talking about the tension created just before contact on the one inch punch?
No I'm talking about dead lifting vs sprinting and the results there of. There are plenty of threads on this topic but good luck finding them. Perhaps some kind Mod will provide a link.:)
Sean

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No I'm talking about dead lifting vs sprinting and the results there of. There are plenty of threads on this topic but good luck finding them. Perhaps some kind Mod will provide a link.:)
Sean

I think I need to go take a long nap, cause I don't understand what you're saying. We went from sticks to talking about dead lifting and sprinting. I'm still interested in finding more about sticks because I know that dead lifting and sprinting have nothing to do with martial speed. Sure, sprinting will increase endurance and make it so you sprint faster. Dead lifting, imho, makes you slower in lots of aspects.

I have very little knowledge of weight training exercises because I'm naturally thin and only workout by training WC.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I need to go take a long nap, cause I don't understand what you're saying. We went from sticks to talking about dead lifting and sprinting. I'm still interested in finding more about sticks because I know that dead lifting and sprinting have nothing to do with martial speed. Sure, sprinting will increase endurance and make it so you sprint faster. Dead lifting, imho, makes you slower in lots of aspects.

I have very little knowledge of weight training exercises because I'm naturally thin and only workout by training WC.
I think its best we stop talking as well.:)
Sean

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its best we stop talking as well.:)
Sean
If you'd deign to use more than a bare handful of words, people might follow what you're talking about... Brevity may be the soul of wit, but it often causes confusion, too.

There seem to be two general types of muscle fibers in people; fast twitch and slow twitch. Fast twitch are just that; they move FAST. Slow twitch are slower, but more "powerful". (I know... rocket science.) Each person has a different natural allotment of both; a sprinter has lots of fast twitch fibers while a marathoner or power lifter has more slow twitch. Both types of fibers do respond to training -- but you need the right type of training.

You can learn more without much trouble by doing internet searches on "fast twitch muscle fiber" or "slow twitch muscle fibers" or combinations thereof...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you'd deign to use more than a bare handful of words, people might follow what you're talking about... Brevity may be the soul of wit, but it often causes confusion, too.

There seem to be two general types of muscle fibers in people; fast twitch and slow twitch. Fast twitch are just that; they move FAST. Slow twitch are slower, but more "powerful". (I know... rocket science.) Each person has a different natural allotment of both; a sprinter has lots of fast twitch fibers while a marathoner or power lifter has more slow twitch. Both types of fibers do respond to training -- but you need the right type of training.

You can learn more without much trouble by doing internet searches on "fast twitch muscle fiber" or "slow twitch muscle fibers" or combinations thereof...
I saw a wall going up or I would have tried harder.:)
sean

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What about the stick? That's what I was really interested in. I'll try searching stick now and see if I find my answer.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about the stick? That's what I was really interested in. I'll try searching stick now and see if I find my answer.
The idea is that the weight of the stick pulls your arm faster than you can push it, and eventualy you stop using the stick but your muscles are now trained to move faster and therefore make you faster over all. In short, weapons training aids your empty handed training.
Sean

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The idea is that the weight of the stick pulls your arm faster than you can push it, and eventualy you stop using the stick but your muscles are now trained to move faster and therefore make you faster over all. In short, weapons training aids your empty handed training.
Sean

Hmmm...I think I see what you're saying. That'll speed you up if you're a muscle fighter. Skinny WCers like myself can't beat up a muscle fighter by using muscles. That's because we barely have any and usually the opponent has much much more. And I feel, because I'm a committed WCer, that it gives me the advantage. Sure, I can't punch with 1000lbs of force...but I can hit with about 550 and will get out 3 of them in the same time that single 1000lb punch is thrown. And that'll be right after I had blocked it ;) If you train WC, you will realize that you move much faster because of being relaxed. It takes a good deal of training to understand how to perform relaxed and when you finally do...you don't want to lose it. So I personally don't train my muscles.

I lightly work out, but that's for the ladies ;) not the opponent.

I do weapons training also but it's really just WC with swords in my hands. I DO feel the muscles between my shoulder blades working more and that will definitely aid my open hand fighting.

Thanks for the info on the sticks. I tried searching it and came up with alot of nothing. I suck at forums searching.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...I think I see what you're saying. That'll speed you up if you're a muscle fighter. Skinny WCers like myself can't beat up a muscle fighter by using muscles. That's because we barely have any and usually the opponent has much much more. And I feel, because I'm a committed WCer, that it gives me the advantage. Sure, I can't punch with 1000lbs of force...but I can hit with about 550 and will get out 3 of them in the same time that single 1000lb punch is thrown. And that'll be right after I had blocked it ;) If you train WC, you will realize that you move much faster because of being relaxed. It takes a good deal of training to understand how to perform relaxed and when you finally do...you don't want to lose it. So I personally don't train my muscles.

I lightly work out, but that's for the ladies ;) not the opponent.

I do weapons training also but it's really just WC with swords in my hands. I DO feel the muscles between my shoulder blades working more and that will definitely aid my open hand fighting.

Thanks for the info on the sticks. I tried searching it and came up with alot of nothing. I suck at forums searching.
Even you can get faster than you already are; skinny or not.:ultracool
Sean

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Even you can get faster than you already are; skinny or not.:ultracool
Sean

I would love that. I think that everyone has there "maximum velocity" when WC is concerned though. There's no need to be faster then really fast. As long as you are relaxed and applying your structure properly, you will be utilizing WC to its fullest potential. If I try to will my fist out any faster, it may possibly come out slower because of the addition thought process of "faster".

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we should agree to disagree about everyone being at maximum; because, some are highly conditioned ahtelites and some are not, even within your system, and I feel modern sports medicine aplies here and you do not. I'm fine with that. Just train.:ultracool
Sean

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think we should agree to disagree about everyone being at maximum; because, some are highly conditioned ahtelites and some are not, even within your system, and I feel modern sports medicine aplies here and you do not. I'm fine with that. Just train.:ultracool
Sean
I'm sorry, its difficult to understand what you are saying with the way you use your words. If your profile is up to date, then I take it you're not a WC practitioner? If so, I can understand why you aren't grasping the concept. WC movements are different then most martial arts. I laugh at the thought of calling a practitioner an athlete though. Well, there may be athletes...that happen to know WC, but becoming an athlete from WC is nearly impossible unless you're doing things wrong.

From practicing WC my arms and chest have lost muscle. 6 pack? yeah right. I use that mini buddah down there to generate power.

There is one guy in our class that is somewhat muscular. He has the most difficult time, compaired to the rest of the class, doing the motions properly.

Latest Discussions