Had my first aikido lesson/experience today.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I figured I'd update my progression in aikido since it's been about 2 years since starting it.

I'm at the 4th Kyu rank now so still a noob that's just enjoying the training.

The footwork has become allot more second nature which has created allot less brain farts.

My breakfalls and rolls are allot more refined even though my left side still gives me brain farts at times on certain throws.

I'm feeling allot more comfortable with the joint locks and have stopped pulling up on my partners arm during the break fall portion of applying kotegaeshi. It was a habit I had from judo since we'd pull up on the sleeve to help rotate the uki during the throws.

I've been picking up some of the finer details of the joint locks as well which has improved my kung fu chin na techniques greatly as well.

My Sensei also switched dojo locations so we're now training at a dojo that has an established judo and bjj student body. Once my hip flexor injury heals (hiking accident) I will be participating in the grappling where I will be trying to incorporate the aikido wrist locks in to my prior grappling knowledge. I have allot of ideals on where I can possibly apply the locks at and ofcourse I will be using caution when applying them since people might not realize what's going on since allot if grappling schools leave wrist locks on the side burner.

The boken work is still not my cup of tea since I prefer Chinese weapon work but I see how boken work develops finer details of empty hand techniques.

Well that sums up where I'm at and I will say I'm actually hooked on aikido now so I'm in it for the long run.

Two other cool things in my personal training is I might consider starting a small CLF kung fu training group since I've friended a sifu that's a few hours away. He was asking why I don't start a small group and I'm really considering it now. I also found a lcal tai chi/xing yI/bagua sifu that I've been having ocasional lessons with. The CMA sifu has given me some valuable footwork and stance exercise that has helped all of my martial arts greatly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Bjj does do wrist locks but they are considered a dirty move. So don't spring them on people unless you like knee rides and cross faces.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bjj does do wrist locks but they are considered a dirty move. So don't spring them on people unless you like knee rides and cross faces.
Oh ill warn them that I'll be playing around with the concepts and from what I understand its not really a dirty technique it's just not focused on since I believe blue belt is where you can start using them in tournaments. The shoot fighting I did also used wrist locks to set up arm locks or finish an arm bars when people would grab their own arm.

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I heard wrong but I thought the term Tenshin simply applied to the style taught at a specific Dojo in Japan and that Segal simply studied at that Dojo. I could be wrong but that was my understanding.
Osaka Japan and LA California were the two dojos that Steven Seagal taught at. Pretty much tenshin aikido practitioners are studying the method that he taught while teaching at those two locations. It's still just aikido but done with a different flavor and mentality.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Osaka Japan and LA California were the two dojos that Steven Seagal taught at. Pretty much tenshin aikido practitioners are studying the method that he taught while teaching at those two locations. It's still just aikido but done with a different flavor and mentality.

I suppose my point was he may have taught it in both but I was under the impression he himself learned it himself at the Osaka Dojo. I did study Aikido sometime ago and that was the impression I was left with from my Sensei.

Latest Discussions