Had a Seizure in Jiu Jitsu Class Today

OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When someone has really strong legs, you will need good technique. Here's the thing. Nothing works every time. Just keep at it.

And truly, it's no problem to mix up the words. I figured out what you meant. I really just want to make the point that you are really, really new at this. Cut yourself some slack and just go and do your best. And personally, I would recommend you keep sparring with that kid. It sounds like he's challenging you, which is a good thing.

I appreciate the advice, man. I think I'm used to seeing big improvements with new sports straight away (except basketball, never play bball unless you're 6'6) and with bjj you only see little moments of improvement which gets frustrating.

For stubborn closed guards, standing passes seem to work better for me. It takes work to get up. The key is maintaining your base. You can slide one knee between you as you drop your weight back down. The other is do a motion like you're reaching into your back pocket and then guiding or flipping their leg off of you.

I'll try it out, haven't attempted a standing pass yet and definitely haven't got a niche (did I use that word right?) for my passing yet.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, man. I think I'm used to seeing big improvements with new sports straight away (except basketball, never play bball unless you're 6'6) and with bjj you only see little moments of improvement which gets frustrating.

I'll try it out, haven't attempted a standing pass yet and definitely haven't got a niche (did I use that word right?) for my passing yet.
Think about it this way. Every time you roll with a training partner, you get a little better and they get a little better. While there are a lot of things that contribute to improvement, at the very basic level, you're all improving. So, you won't see a lot of improvement because you're trying to pass your partner's guard and every tmie you try you get a little better. He also gets a little better at defending.

Stick with it. What's going to happen is, somewhere in between 3 and 6 months of training, some new guys are going to join the school and you'll be sparring with them. All of a sudden, things you've been trying to do for months actually work.

Point is, you aren't seeing your improvement, But you are. Guaranteed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You probably won't notice the improvements until - as someone said - a few months down the road when a new person joins and you realize they are easy to deal with. Or when you start thinking the guys ahead of you are all having "off" days, because they aren't tapping you out as often as they usually do.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A) How can I increase my stamina?
Keep training. The more you roll, the easier it gets. This is not just about physiological adaptations to increase your cardio - it's also about psychological adaptations so you relax, keep breathing, and don't waste energy.

B) How do I get out of these moves?

Your teacher can show you details about how to escape the individual positions you mentioned. You're not really describing them clearly enough for me to give you a detailed counter. Best approach is to not get in them in the first place. When you are in someone's guard, focus establishing a solid base and good posture first. After that, fight for superior grips. It doesn't matter what kind of guard pass you try, it won't work if you have bad base, bad posture, and inferior grips.

C) Should I try to stay at the bottom so I don't get caught in his guards?
Nope. Top position is better. You'll get plenty of practice being put on the bottom anyway.

D) How do I spar against someone who is reliant on their leg strength? How can I take advantage of that?

Use your entire body. Start with base, posture, and grips.

it's just disappointing to lose against beginners, especially when they're 11!

Remember that you are pretty much a complete beginner yourself. Of course you're going to lose to other beginners.

Last edited:
OP
J

james0012

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Going to change sparring partners, I think he had something like 5 tap outs in 5 minutes before stopping and asking if he could practice and teach drills (he's had about 5 lessons) to save me the embarrassment of going for another 10 minutes but just made it so much worse. It came from the right place (I think) but it was just cringey. 90% of his 'teaching' was gym-related and he said at one point to "squat bigger weights". What's worse is that I couldn't even get a damn tap out in the drills!

Anyway, I've probably complained about this poor kid too much here. Thanks again!

Use your entire body. Start with base, posture, and grips.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never properly understood what base meant. Is that just referring to balance?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never properly understood what base meant. Is that just referring to balance?
Pretty much. It refers to the proper body positioning and structure which allows you to have good balance in a given situation. Your instructor should be able to advise you on what your proper base and posture should look like when you are sitting in someone's guard and should be able to correct all the little things that you don't even realize you are doing wrong. None of your guard passes are going to work until you can establish solid base and good posture.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Base is everything. In stand up fighting as well. It's the rock the church is built on.

As said in that song....It's all about the base, about the base. And you thought they were saying "bass". :)

Latest Discussions