What is this move called

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My daughter was just taught this in class but I don't know what it's called. The knee to the stomach and then leg hook and roll over in the beginning of this video. I am not trained much on grappling.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the context of ground grappling, "sweep" is generally used for any reversal (going from bottom to top) which starts from some form of the guard (where the bottom person has their legs either around the top person or between them).

So this technique would not be a sweep:

But these techniques would be considered sweeps:

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's a variant on a basic scissor sweep. It's usually one of the first sweeps learned in BJJ.

I think yes that's what they called it. That second video you posted was very close to what I observed.

Thanks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the context of ground grappling, "sweep" is generally used for any reversal (going from bottom to top) which starts from some form of the guard (where the bottom person has their legs either around the top person or between them).

So this technique would not be a sweep:

But these techniques would be considered sweeps:
That's a curious vocabulary usage. Any idea how "sweep" came to mean "reversal from the guard"?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a curious vocabulary usage. Any idea how "sweep" came to mean "reversal from the guard"?

I'm sure Tony could answer this better, but it's pretty much the same as in standing Arts, you are taking them off their base.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure about the historical origin - as far as I know BJJ has always used that terminology when teaching in English. I suspect it's because many of the fundamental sweeps from guard are pretty much analogous to standing sweeps in Judo. Apply some form of kuzushi to off-balance the opponent, then use a leg/foot to either knock their base out from under them or else block them from adjusting their base as you topple them over using your hands or your other leg. The biggest difference is that from guard you can often use both of your legs to take their balance since you don't need one to stand on. Once the terminology was established, then the term naturally broadened to cover reversals from guard which don't fit so neatly into that paradigm. (Reversals from an inferior position like bottom of mount are generally regarded as escapes rather than sweeps. Under most BJJ competition rules you get points for sweeps, but not for escapes - getting out from being mounted is considered reward enough. It's kind of arbitrary, but that's how it evolved.)

In Portuguese, the word is used is raspa or raspado, which my dictionary translates as "scraper" or "grater". I don't know whether the original idea was that you were "scraping" someone off their feet or if there is some regional slang in Brazilian Portuguese which makes more sense for that

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Portuguese, the word is used is raspa or raspado, which my dictionary translates as "scraper" or "grater". I don't know whether the original idea was that you were "scraping" someone off their feet or if there is some regional slang in Brazilian Portuguese which makes more sense for that
Perhaps @marques might have some insight as to the why that Portuguese word would be used, unless it's some uniquely Brazilian idiom which wouldn't make sense in European Portuguese.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure about the historical origin - as far as I know BJJ has always used that terminology when teaching in English. I suspect it's because many of the fundamental sweeps from guard are pretty much analogous to standing sweeps in Judo. Apply some form of kuzushi to off-balance the opponent, then use a leg/foot to either knock their base out from under them or else block them from adjusting their base as you topple them over using your hands or your other leg. The biggest difference is that from guard you can often use both of your legs to take their balance since you don't need one to stand on. Once the terminology was established, then the term naturally broadened to cover reversals from guard which don't fit so neatly into that paradigm. (Reversals from an inferior position like bottom of mount are generally regarded as escapes rather than sweeps. Under most BJJ competition rules you get points for sweeps, but not for escapes - getting out from being mounted is considered reward enough. It's kind of arbitrary, but that's how it evolved.)

My Portuguese is too weak to give any input on that last point, but I'd like to hear from a native Brazilian to find out if that's just the equivalent of "sweep" in their usage.

That etymology makes sense, and is a fairly common progression - a group of techniques gets a name based on a common feature, then starts to include techniques that lack that feature.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Regarding sweep vs reversal, it really only matters I think in competition. A sweep, which others have correctly said is from a form of guard, is worth points. A reversal is not.

This causes a lot of confusion with white belts, who sometimes believe they should be awarded points for rolling from bottom mount into their opponent's guard. The reward is that you're no longer mounted. :)