Gunting/Limb Destructions

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
PLUS, if I learn the language of 'mechanical dysfunction' and 'stopping the threat' I reduce the spin doctoring of legal beagles who will try to imply that I INTENDED to hurt him if I use language like "Cause him pain" which can take way from a Self defense....well, defense for my use of force and spins it into intentionally causing bodily harm (ala Assault, mutual combat....or something else that gets me fined, jailed, sued....).
This is just plain smart. Thanks for detailing the reasoning here, Paul - this is excellent from a perspective of personal liability.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
This is a beautiful technique, one of my "bread and butters". If in fact gunting means scissoring, this could even be considered that, as the way I do it I am crossing the left and right side, if not quite as pronounced as I would if both my arms were extended. Anyway, great technique, one of my staples. Not "bizarre" at all (to me).
icon7.gif

Flatlander

For me this type of technique always seemed to be along the lines of destroying/injuring the fist so the fight wouldn't continue. In fact I believe Dan Inosanto taught it as (his instructors taught him) hitting the fist with this upward elbow specfically to hit the pinky and break it. Thereby possibly ending the fight before really serious harm comes to anybody. This was kind of a compassionate technique in a sense compared to the others that have been posted talking about destroying the arm then the face etc. etc. as a way to destroy the opponent.

I mentioned "bizarre" because in that context of trying to break the pinky/hand in order to stop a fight before it can really begin, seems to be a high ideal to me. And not something that everyone could normally pull off. But in the right place and the right time it worked. SO "bizarre" wasn't really the best term to descibe the technique.

I am glad you use it though. Do you use it in sparring?

Mark

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mark, actually, I do this destruction on a down angle, rather than up. Think angles 1 and 2, but with elbows. The other hand draws across from the other direction, so as to make a scissoring motion. They (the hand and elbow) just don't cross quite as deeply as a "hands only" technique might.

Yes, in fact I use it as often as I can - when we do spar it is with the open-palm style spar mitts. I'm not saying it'll always land, but its nice when it does.

Just as everything else, there is a time and place for everything - this would be something that I would use at general striking range. What I like about it is that it's an intercept/destruction that I can utilize without having to commit myself to entering too deep, yet follow ups flow quite nicely from it (backfist, parries, brush,grab,strike, etc.,) and I'm able to generate power through the twist, rather than needing to move in.
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions