• Only own one for protection of me/family

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I voted good awhile ago.

I actually think that as an invention, they are bad. Too many people have been killed as a result of this invention.

But, since they have been invented and are available for "bad guys" I say it is good to own and learn how to use it.

I always tell people who ask why I carry a knife as a "weapon,"
"The knife isn't a weapon, it's a tool. I'm the weapon!"

I believe that this is true in the case of guns also.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's a tool. Any positive or negative connotation is strictly in the mind of the beholder. For a martial artist to not avail himself, or herself, of a potentially lethal tool, especially one as common as a firearm, is naive and childish at best.

OP
P

pknox

There's nothing wrong with guns - it's the bullets that hurt! ;)

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I choice good. I've grown up with guns and so have people in my family. You have to respect a weapon before you can really appreciate it. However, there are always precautions that should be taken with any weapon. We keep all our weapons locked up when they are not being used, that is if we're not target practicing or using them for hunting. A few have also mentioned that many people get killed by guns. My response to that is more people die in car accidents each year than they do from guns and I don't see too many people in a big hurry to outlaw cars. It's not the gun's fault that an idiot was put behind it, they can only harm when someone pulls that trigger :asian:

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hard question kind of
they have good and bad as do martial arts
both are born of a need to harm yet can be used to help survive
i got to say the answer to good or bad is
yes they are good and bad just like humans
mainly good though

OP
P

pknox

Well said, Doc. It is only a tool, after all, and without a user it isn't all that useful.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Although this post has been around a while, this is the first time I have looked at it. I may have avoided it before because I am very 'anti-gun'. And I know that talking about my point of view on guns is even more futile than talking about religion or politics.

But, what did come to mind as I reviewed the first few posts is :

What a strange choice in adjectives!

Many have already said that guns are not good or bad ... yada yada yada ... but why not make the survey choices "Safe" and "Dangerous", or "Big" or "Small", or "Intelligent" or "Foolish". How might that change the discussion?

Some spiritual beliefs propose that we are all connected .. so, if you own a gun, I own a gun ... and that is enough for me.

OP
M

MisterMike

I guess the same poll could be set up for cars.

Safe or Dangerous?

It depends whose "hands" it is in.

More people die from cars each year BTW ;-)

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Although this post has been around a while, this is the first time I have looked at it. I may have avoided it before because I am very 'anti-gun'. And I know that talking about my point of view on guns is even more futile than talking about religion or politics.

But, what did come to mind as I reviewed the first few posts is :

What a strange choice in adjectives!

Many have already said that guns are not good or bad ... yada yada yada ... but why not make the survey choices "Safe" and "Dangerous", or "Big" or "Small", or "Intelligent" or "Foolish". How might that change the discussion?

Some spiritual beliefs propose that we are all connected .. so, if you own a gun, I own a gun ... and that is enough for me.
I don't consider any tool/technology as inherently 'good' or 'bad.' Nor do I consider myself a 'pro gun' or what ever person.

I do believe that I am a "Pro Responsibility/accountability" person regardless of the technology. In the case of firearms, they are here to stay and will improve in their development as all technology does.

I think that regulations that hold firearms owners accountable and teach them how to operate them responsibility is a must. I also don't think that is rediculous that the Gov can say that a private citizen can not own a Browning .50 cal machine gun. Come on, there is a point where 'civil liberties' and practicallity meet and you have to look at the reality over the 'principles.'

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didn't think "good" would win either. Was a little surprised. Guns are not bad or good. They hate no one. They don't kill people.
People are either good or bad. People hate. People kill. Guns are just one of many tools that can be used to do harm. They can also be a tool to teach your child how to be resposible. Hunting with your children can build bonds that never break. An Indiana town police officer tied his wife to the bed and beat her scull in with a hammer. Are hammers good or bad?

OP

Guns are a good thing to have. I just like to shoot at paper targets to have fun.

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER said:
An Indiana town police officer tied his wife to the bed and beat her scull in with a hammer. Are hammers good or bad?
I voted guns good
Hammers good
some people... bad

Hey, he had to tie her down to hit her with that thing? what too many doughnuts?

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recall a conversation on usenet long ago.

Poster A: I don't like guns, and that's my opinion.
Poster B: Why do I care about your opinion? You are unarmed.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Geez, is thread ever gonna die?

If the question had been: "Should private citizens be restricted from owning firearms;" or "Are firearms a viable method of self-defense;" or "Does the availability of firearms contribute to violent crime?" Then that would have been one thing (of course we know the answers to those questions too). But "are guns bad?" Puh-leez, guns are inanimate objects and are no more good or bad than knives, rocks, flower-pots, or dildos.

-end of rant-

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Puh-leez, guns are inanimate objects and are no more good or bad than knives, rocks, flower-pots, or dildos.

-end of rant-

So true, I belive the worst part about guns is the lack of education when it comes to them. The general public has no idea about firearms and that is dangerous.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
dubljay said:
So true, I belive the worst part about guns is the lack of education when it comes to them. The general public has no idea about firearms and that is dangerous.
That is because the general public is loaded with idiots that believe everything that comes out of the mouths of people like Oprah Winfrey and Katie Couric.
If someone wants to know about firearms then go to the source, ask the NRA or GOA, not some television personality.

HKF

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah that is true, I dont own a gun but there are so many crackpots out there that want to tell the rest of the world how to live their lives. I dont have a problem with people owning them personally I dont care if someone owns them. I however, would not want some tv personality telling me what I should or should not do with my life, I unlike most of them live in the real world and dont need their advice on anything.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I unlike most of them live in the real world and dont need their advice on anything.
Celeberties live in a real world with real trials and tribulations. Perhaps getting killed because a paparatzi ran your car off the road to get good "after the accident" pics isn't an issue for you, or you sunbathing topless won't show up on tabloid covers all ove, and perhaps no one will sue you because you seem like an easy target, and perhaps you can go to dinner and eat without being mobbed the whole time, and perhaps you don't have a couple people stalking you.

The real world you live in my not be the same one as the real world they live in; but let's not disparage a group of professions, nor discount the "reality" of their lives just because they are different from ours.

Based on what you and I do, soldiers working in Iraq wouldn't live in the "real world" either... theirs is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions