Greetings from West Java, Indonesia

Antara

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am from Bogor, West Java, Indonesia. I am in my mid 30 and only been studying traditional silat for two years. Still not good at it :).

Glad to see you all here.

Salam hormat...

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! Love Silat, what style of Silat do you train if you don't mind me asking?
By the way Welcome to MT!

OP
A

Antara

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome,

Awesome! Love Silat, what style of Silat do you train if you don't mind me asking?

Of course not. In my place it is common to ask about other people’s mainan (literally: toy, or a game, a polite way in Jakarta ethnic language to refer to one’s martial art).

I am studying Golok Seliwa, a minor Betawi (Jakarta) style. I don’t think any of you ever heard about it. As minor as that we are not even a school. Like many of other traditional styles in Jakarta, we are practicing informally within our small communities.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great! I had a minor stint with "harimau silat" & "serak silat", what I mean by minor stint is my Wing Chun Instructor avidly trained in Silat & Muay Thai so he used to train us quite a bit when he would receive new material.

It's a great system, I enjoyed the training, unfortunately there's really no where in the State that I can further or even actively train. But who knows about the future...

Welcome again & I am looking forward to your posts.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! I have also trained some Indonesian Silat. Great to see more on the board!

OP
A

Antara

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you...
... and thank you for enjoying silat, Tensei85 and Carol.

Just realized that someone posted Golok Seliwa here. What a pleasant surprise.:)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, the greatest thing since.. . um, chuck norris' beard!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions