Greetings from Florida

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Mou Meng Gung Fu, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

So at 14 years old, you trained until your belt literally turned red from blood, and got the equivalent of 2 years of practice in 6 months?

Also, to clarify, why did you like my comment that I feel unqualified to teach, when I have more training in one art than you have in all of your arts? Are you agreeing with me that that amount of training does not make you qualified to teach? If you're creating your own style, I would hope you have a minimum of 10-15 years training in multiple arts (and I would not count anything below the age of 16 personally for that, although that's a topic for debate).

2. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Kids.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. TwentyThree

TwentyThree Green Belt

So, here's why some of us are reacting... skeptically... to the things you've said here. I'll narrow it down to what I can speak about with a little knowledge, as I don't have much of a background in KMA. JMA outside of kobudo (and I'm still a newb there), MMA, etc.

You said, specifically, you don't study FMA but you've borrowed "the concepts". So basically, you've borrowed things from something you said you don't study. I can tell you, after having studied for nearly nine years now, that it is highly unlikely that you've borrowed a "concept" from the FMA's. You've copied a technique either someone showed you (very common to see this for FMA's), or you picked up off the internet via the YouTube dojo. This is not the same thing as a "concept".

A martial arts style is more than a simple collection of techniques, that you can pick from this and that, pull it all together, and call it a new style. It's a series of perceptions and opinions about violence (how it happens and how to cope with it), strategic choices, and a viewpoint of the world, often developed under very specific conditions. Within the FMA world, there are literally more styles than I can possibly name here, and often, the only thing we have in common with each other are the tools. The concepts - and what we think is important - can vary widely.

That being said, there isn't really anything that unique in the FMA's that can't be found in other styles when you look at techniques (in my specific lineage, it's one of our sayings - "It is all the same"). What we do exists in every other style in some way. What makes an FMA style a style (and in fact, makes any martial arts style a style), is how we organize our training, what strategy we employ in dealing with violence, and principles that form how we look at the world. That's when the deeper meaning - the CONCEPTS of what we do - come to light. By your own words, you haven't studied any of this.

You are basically doing wing chun with sticks. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but it's not FMA's.

I think none of us care much if you want to do your own thing - plenty of us do that. If it's you and your buddies playing around in a back yard or a garage, no harm done (except to yourselves, maybe, but you're a grownup). Where it's bothersome is that you claim you are synthesizing concepts from styles you haven't seriously studied into your personal style. You've made statements as fact that aren't true. And you want us to take you seriously as a founder of a style, obviously.

That's going to get a reaction - and you got it.

Best of luck to you in your training.

• Like Like x 2
  4. oaktree

oaktree Master of Arts

What I am reading from this is that there is 2 names for this now Wei wu style mou meng gungfu and mou meng gungfu? when you put your name in front and then style it is to show difference from another style such as Chen style taijiquan or yang style taijiquan. One second mou meng is a style then its not a style then its a secret martial art but its being talked about on a public forum so confusing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Or, perhaps, you end up taking just a couple of notes from each and creating an interesting new dish or two that you can produce well. You won't be highly skilled at any one of them, but the knowledge can still be cumulative. I wouldn't expect the average student to progress on that level of learning, but I've met a couple of instructors with only 3 years of experience in their art who were actually quite good at teaching the basics of that art, and with a depth of understanding I wouldn't normally expect from someone with so little experience. One of them had some experience in other arts (a bit less broad than the OP, but a mixture), and the other had only some dabblings besides his 3 1/2 years in his art. Both were competent instructors.

As for starting one's own style, that's just a matter of being able to bring pieces together that work well in combination under a unified set of principles. I've seen it done well, and I've seen it done badly. Experience doesn't seem to be proof against the latter.

6. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Master Black Belt

so you dont think you sound like this..
    but you post this....
    trust me at this point no one gives a hoot about "researching " you art. what does that mean ...why did you use the term research? as if its a legit treasure that needs to be discovered. a non ostentatious person would have said in any is interested in what i do.

then you post this ... and i can honestly say no one cares what any individual practices. the point is you make posts that are deceptive and inflated to sound better than what the reality is.
    for starters you never trained in Okinawan anything. you said you trained in the back yard with someone who new Shotokan which by definition is a mainland Japanese art. the fact that you didnt know that says something to me.
    you practiced for 6 months, PERIOD six months is not 2 years. you think because it was in your back yard 1 on 1 that somehow that is better. well i can tell you from experience its not. it just isnt.
    then that ostentatious pops up again....you trained so much and so hard your white belt was stained red... seriously ? come on. that makes you sound like a wannabe.

again with the wannabe language. no one takes you have a manual as anything other than bravado BS. it means nothing. trophies? no one cares. you didnt say you won anything, you said you have a trophy. big deal
    and your karate was with a brown belt stop saying you studied under so many masters its annoying

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Grenadier

Grenadier Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Admin's Note:

This thread is now closed. No further replies will be accepted.

On a side note, if you do not like what someone has to say about your training, then it's entirely within your own power to use the "Ignore" feature that is part of the Xenforo forum software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.