Greetings from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Trying to stay within the bounds of the rules against fraudbusting here ... it's possible that a lot of the issues you're seeing with MMGF's understanding may go back to his previous head instructor.

*(Feel free to PM me for details.)

You know, I sent a PM to DaleDugas offering to meetup with him in person (not to fight, but to talk peacefully) regarding GM Santella and some of the other guys I've trained with. GM Santella and I do not live very far from Dale, and neither one of us are very hard to find. You will see GM Santella's school (and off-shoot schools affiliated with it) advertised on the side of public buses, park benches, billboards and signs throughout Florida, and although his address is open to the public (the doors are always open), I don't think anyone I know has ever once challenged his authenticity. But anyways, I digress, as I'm no longer a member of that gym.

But I admire your efforts to bash the man privately in secret like a ninja in hiding. You must really have some bad blood with this guy. "Why?" is the question. But anyway, I don't have to defend GM Santella's honor. He's fully capable of handling himself. But I will point out the fact of what you're secretly trying to do here. If that is your prerogative, then go right ahead. I won't stop you.

Last edited:
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"FMA uses katana-type swords..."

Is that what I said? Perhaps I should have said "katana-like," though I doubt it would've made any difference what I said since people will only interpret words from their own personal perspectives. But I stand by what I said, regardless. Again, I am not an expert at FMA (for the 6th or 7th time), so I don't know the FMA term for such blades. To me, they looked like katanas back in the day. All I know is what I said before. "FMA uses katana-type swords, but they use them very differently as opposed to their JMA counterparts." That is what I said, you are correct and I stand by that statement. If you want a better answer, ask someone else who does FMA.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But I admire your efforts to bash the man privately in secret like a ninja in hiding. You must really have some bad blood with this guy. "Why?" is the question. But anyway, I don't have to defend GM Santella's honor. He's fully capable of handling himself. But I will point out the fact of what you're secretly trying to do here. If that is your prerogative, then go right ahead.

I won't stop you.
No bad blood. I never heard of the guy before you mentioned him. I just did some research in order to get an idea of where you were coming from.

As far as why I'm not publicly listing the various red flags I found, it's because the Martial Talk terms of service prohibit fraudbusting. I agreed to those terms of service when I joined the site and I do my best to follow them. It's nothing to do with whether you would want to stop me.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, I sent a PM to DaleDugas offering to meetup with him in person (not to fight, but to talk peacefully) regarding GM Santella and some of the other guys I've trained with. GM Santella and I do not live very far from Dale, and neither one of us are very hard to find. You will see GM Santella's school (and off-shoot schools affiliated with it) advertised on the side of public buses, park benches, billboards and signs throughout Florida, and although his address is open to the public (the doors are always open), I don't think anyone I know has ever once challenged his authenticity. But anyways, I digress, as I'm no longer a member of that gym.

But I admire your efforts to bash the man privately in secret like a ninja in hiding. You must really have some bad blood with this guy. "Why?" is the question. But anyway, I don't have to defend GM Santella's honor. He's fully capable of handling himself. But I will point out the fact of what you're secretly trying to do here. If that is your prerogative, then go right ahead. I won't stop you.
BJJ quality control (aka BJJ police). :) You should know it.

Tony is just investigating. Nothing personal, I guess.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So in total (before teaching on your own in 2012):

-2 months TKD (1991)
-6 months Karate (1999)
-4 classes Fencing (2000)
-5 years Wing Chun (2000-2005)
-5 years MMA + FMA (2005-2010)

I don't feel like this is enough training to start your own style. I think the best thing for you is to find a good Wing Chun Sifu and finish your training. Then find a good teacher in another martial art and complete your training in that. Once you have reached a high level of skill in 3-4 martial arts, then create your own.
Thank you. I had been trying to figure this out.
I have more than his entire training time in just one art, and I still would feel like a fraud teaching it.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
"FMA uses katana-type swords..."

Is that what I said? Perhaps I should have said "katana-like," though I doubt it would've made any difference what I said since people will only interpret words from their own personal perspectives. But I stand by what I said, regardless. Again, I am not an expert at FMA (for the 6th or 7th time), so I don't know the FMA term for such blades. To me, they looked like katanas back in the day. All I know is what I said before. "FMA uses katana-type swords, but they use them very differently as opposed to their JMA counterparts." That is what I said, you are correct and I stand by that statement. If you want a better answer, ask someone else who does FMA.

I see.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
BJJ quality control (aka BJJ police). :) You should know it.

Tony is just investigating. Nothing personal, I guess.

I'm going to give this the benefit of a doubt and talk about something that has nothing at all to do with me or my style. I don't want to, but here I go.

GM Santella does not make claims about himself. He does not go on the internet trying to make claims, nor is he interested in talking on a martial arts forum. GM Santella was a law enforcement officer the last time I saw him. He runs a school called S.D.S.I. ("Street Defense Systems Institute") in Florida, which offers classes in several different martial arts. It's a big name school and a lot of the local MMA fighters come from that school. In fact, other martial artists and masters have travelled all around the world from Hawaii, Japan, Brazil and other countries just to train at GM Santella's school. In regards to Brazilian Jiujitsu it is very possible that a few BJJ black-belt holders or masters visited S.D.S.I. in order to train with GM Santella, and also very possible that some of them stayed at S.D.S.I. afterwards to teach BJJ classes at GM Santella's gym. There are many rooms in that dojo where many different classes are being taught by certified instructors. It's almost comparable to an early-era Jing Mo institute, with several masters of different styles all teaching their own unique systems. As I mentioned before, I never had any reason to question that school's authenticity. I didn't exactly do a background check. If you guys want to do your own background check, go right ahead. But I doubt you will find much information on the internet in regards to what really goes on at GM Santella's gym. Like me, they are more concerned with training than with politics.

I hope this helps at least somewhat. I can actually almost hear GM Santella's voice right now, telling me to quit worrying what people say, get off the internet and go train (lol). I think I'll listen to this voice in my head. It's calling me into the backyard. See you guys later. ;)

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
In fact, other martial artists and masters have travelled all around the world from Hawaii, Japan, Brazil and other countries just to train at GM Santella's school. In regards to Brazilian Jiujitsu it is very possible that a few BJJ black-belt holders or masters visited S.D.S.I. in order to train with GM Santella, and also very possible that some of them stayed at S.D.S.I. afterwards to teach BJJ classes at GM Santella's gym. There are many rooms in that dojo where many different classes are being taught by certified instructors. It's almost comparable to an early-era Jing Mo institute, with several masters of different styles all teaching their own unique systems.

I gonna need some popcorn for this.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Please pardon my vagueness. Some of the aforementioned recollections of my history are obscurely faded from memory (in other words, I forgot lol). I didn't keep many records back then, and to be frankly honest, I don't keep many records now. Wumingquan is the personal expression of the person who is teaching it to his family. I don't really need to record most events.

As far as my history is concerned, there is some confusion among members of this forum. All I can say is that you are asking me to dig through memories from many years ago. I can tell you that some of the dates probably criss-cross at some point. There were days when I'd train at one gym by day and then go to a different gym that very same night. There was also a lot of cross-training in different styles. Sometimes I would leave a school for many years, and then go back to it. A lot of knowledge exchange took place amongst some fellow martial artists who liked to help each other learn new things. A lot of experimenting and openness to all things MA related.

Sometimes we would practice WCK techniques while holding FMA weapons (as opposed to WC butterfly swords), or we'd practice FMA concepts while holding JMA weapons (like the bokuto). Sometimes we practiced gun disarms. Most of the time we didn't even practice with weapons (we would train unarmed, then just practice the same techniques while holding a knife for example). I had an exposure to many different styles and teachings. I can properly demonstrate and apply techniques that I don't even know the names of (lol). I researched my own experience. I absorbed what was useful. I discarded what was useless. I added what was specifically my own. Nothing more and nothing less. I apologize for any confusion.

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. I had been trying to figure this out.
I have more than his entire training time in just one art, and I still would feel like a fraud teaching it.
The way I see it, if you never learn to cook Chinese food properly, and then never learn to cook Italian food properly, and then dabble in some Korean cooking for 6 months, you wind up with a bad case of salmonella, and not good food.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wei Wu style Mou Meng Gung Fu is a non-classical martial art system. Mou Meng Kuen (Cantonese for "Nameless Boxing") has been a family tradition for over a decade. Brother Wei Wu has trained in several martial art systems from various schools. He has training manuals, trophies and certificates in various styles under different masters and grandmasters. Brother Wei Wu is also the founder of what he now calls "Mou Meng Gung Fu," in order to prevent his siblings from stunting their growth by becoming stylized or opinionated. In this style, the system is molded to the individual. The individual is not molded to the style. They are expected to learn new techniques, and to test those techniques when training. Brother Wu Wei does not claim to be a master of martial arts. He also did not give his art a traditional ranking system. MMGF practitioners are refered to simply as brothers and sisters, juniors and seniors. He refuses to make a profit or teach Mou Meng Gung Fu to outsiders or the general public. This makes Mou Meng Kuen a secretive martial art with obscure training methods. Naturally, other schools question its authenticity and methodology. Brother Wei Wu's school only questions Mou Meng Kuen's methodology as they are always too busy training, sparring and experimenting with different tactics to answer to skeptics and politics. Brother Wei Wu wishes his art to stay alive and evolve with time.

Last edited:

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

I think we are about here in the train wreck process.

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think I can understand where Dr. Dugas is coming from.

He appears to me (I do not know him at all and only know a bit of his background from what I have read here on the forum) to have devoted many decades to the study of CMA/culture/medicine and is extremely knowledgeable and to see someone making claims that are contradictory and VERY ostentatious are bothersome and irritating.

We have the same thing in the military when we see people spotting off about their "Years of deployments in the sandbox with blood and guts everywhere" and then you find out that they have either never even deployed or never went outside the wire or only "deployed" to Kuwait. Now if you want to see someone taken down in public viscously, look at some of the Stolen Valour stuff.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So in total (before teaching on your own in 2012):

-2 months TKD (1991)
-6 months Karate (1999)
-4 classes Fencing (2000)
-5 years Wing Chun (2000-2005)
-5 years MMA + FMA (2005-2010)

I don't feel like this is enough training to start your own style. I think the best thing for you is to find a good Wing Chun Sifu and finish your training. Then find a good teacher in another martial art and complete your training in that. Once you have reached a high level of skill in 3-4 martial arts, then create your own.

I did not learn much TKD in the 90's (actually I'm learning it now from George W. Adkins to be honest). I also recieved a TKD instructor's manual passed down to me by one of Sabum Richard Marcelin's students from the ATA (which has more in common with the ITF than WTF) and practiced many TKD-like kicks and exercises during my time in MMA throughout the years.

As for Okinawan Kara-te, that is a style I only use now for demonstrations and counter drills. I did receive about 6 months of 1-on-1 private backyard training (more or less) equivalent to maybe 2 years (more or less) of someone who only attended a Karate class in a Dojo three times a week. In those 6 months, I trained in traditional Shotokan Karate until my white belt turned into a red belt (or brown belt) naturally from all of the blood, sweat and dirt. It was actually very difficult making the switch from Kara-te to Kung-fu, and even today I feel like I am sometimes too rigid as a result of Kara-te.

As for fencing, I learned quite a bit through slicing/deflecting drills, freestyle full-contact sparring with different weapons, using different methods and styles, and through light-contact simulation sparring. I had exposure to Spanish saber-fencing, Japanese bokuto-fencing, and Filipino rattan-fencing for a time period before training on my own. Most of the techniques I use for gun disarms, I learned from FMA knife-sparring (using either metal spoons, dull butter knives or unloaded guns). I also use some fencing principles in my footwork, broken rhythm, lead jab and cadence. I picked those up from JKD and Spanish fencing. Other than that, I don't practice much fencing. My art is more focussed on un-armed street defense than it is on weapons training. But I do count my many years of experience in JKD (which is missing from your list) as part of my training also.

You also forgot to mention Western Boxing and Judo/Jujutsu/Aikido, which I also took as seperate classes apart from MMA (and I am still a student of Judo/Jujutsu/Aikido to this day, despite being the founder of MMGF).

I just wanted to clarify all that. :)

Last edited:
OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think I can understand where Dr. Dugas is coming from... to see someone making claims that are contradictory and VERY ostentatious are bothersome and irritating.

Contradictory, maybe on some levels, yes. But ostentatious? Really? I don't think that's fair. Ostentatious implies saying things in order to seek attention by boasting or showboating. A lot of skeptic remarks were made and questions were asked simply because I wasn't showing off or saying anything. I got scrutinized for it and called a fraud. All I did was answer the questions that were asked. Now you say I'm being VERY ostentatious and bothersome? Well, can't please everyone I guess. :cool:

Look man, I didn't come here to show off, or to be punked around by a gang of bullies on a MA forum. I came here to be around like-minded individuals with a sincere honesty for learning martial arts. I'm here to learn, to exchange perspectives and gain knowledge. I'm not sure what other purpose anyone would have for being here, to be quite frank.

Last edited:

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Contradictory, maybe on some levels, yes. But ostentatious? Really? I don't think that's fair. Ostentatious implies saying things in order to seek attention by boasting or showboating. A lot of skeptic remarks were made and questions were asked simply because I wasn't showing off or saying anything. I got scrutinized for it and called a fraud. All I did was answer the questions that were asked. Now you say I'm being VERY ostentatious and bothersome?

You know, I actually really thought about exactly what adjective to use in that sentence (I really am putting too much effort into this whole thing ... God only knows why?) and after reading almost all of the posts in your three (four?) threads, that was the one word that really jumped out at me.

Now I was not an English major (my wife was the Phi Beta Kappa English major) so maybe I am wrong but in my opinion (and I am not calling you a fraud or fake or anything, not even a bad person) you seem to have been very ostentatious in your threads.

Just my opinion but it might be one of the reasons you seem to have drawn as much fire as you have here.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You know, I actually really thought about exactly what adjective to use in that sentence (I really am putting too much effort into this whole thing ... God only knows why?) and after reading almost all of the posts in your three (four?) threads, that was the one word that really jumped out at me.

Now I was not an English major (my wife was the Phi Beta Kappa English major) so maybe I am wrong but in my opinion (and I am not calling you a fraud or fake or anything, not even a bad person) you seem to have been very ostentatious in your threads.

Just my opinion but it might be one of the reasons you seem to have drawn as much fire as you have here.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I really didn't mean to sound ostentatious. Honestly I don't mean to. I'm not that good with internet communication skills myself, so I understand what you mean by trying to find the right words sometimes. I will admit it is very difficult to communicate on-line. What could I do to improve my internet social skills in order to prevent these sort of misunderstandings in the future? I don't mind asking questions, providing answers and engaging in forum-based conversations. However, I want to make sure that my difference in style and grammar is not confusing to others. It is very difficult to relate to practitioners of other styles (especially in any of the styles I mentioned as part of my previous MA training) because when I for example say that I had some exposure to JMA or FMA, other martial artists from JMA or FMA traditions tend to automatically assume that I am still a modern-day practitioner of such traditions, rather than someone who has simply borrowed JMA or FMA elements and modified them to work fluidly with his own personal expression in martial arts (i.e. my experience with Karate, in which I had to discard almost the entire system in order to learn WCK). Even now, I feel like I am perhaps using a bad choice of words here. So how can I correct myself when making posts in order to prevent any misconceptions? I tried doing away with the mentioning of any style altogether as I felt that it might bring about misconceptions from the experts in those styles if I mentioned them. I refer to my own style as MMK in an attempt to break away from those other styles and traditions. KMA, JMA, CMA, JKD, FMA, MMA, etc. etc. etc. I may have had some training in those styles in the past, but style-wise, they have very little to do with the martial art I practice now (or have been practicing since at least 2007). I really hope to get that point across to anyone who plans to do research into my art, because as I had mentioned before, MMK should not be confused with other martial arts, even if some of our weapons and techniques do sound similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions