Greetings/Budding Aikidoka

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thought I would drop a note of introduction.

First, I am not a physician. I do practice clinically in non operative PM&R spine as a PA, but my primary job is in health services research, examining how patients and providers make decisions in spine care.

Second, I haven't been in martial arts training in years. I fought quite a bit growing up. Lots of parking lot brawls..I was a very angry young man..looked for trouble....and well, usually found it.. Did boxing for awhile, trained with one of my best friends who was the golden gloves state champ in his weight class. I sparred a lot with him, learned a lot, and got my butt whipped....A LOT. Later, some of us would engage in bare legged, drunken kickboxing. I would not recommend it, but it was fun at the age of 18, and despite the numerous scars on my shins now, I learned a lot.

I did take formal martial arts, TKD through green belt, but that was in my pre-teen, early teen years, also took judo for a very short time.

Joined the military as a young man, and saw the world. Hoo Rah. Went through multiple unarmed combat training courses. Was told that it was a combination of jujutsu, hapkido, and karate. No idea. It worked well in the few bar brawls I got into overseas (alcohol, youth, and military bravado are not always a good combination).

I've always been fascinated with the arts, and in particular the samurai code of budo. When I was in the military, I read the "Budoshoshinshu: The Warrior's Primer of Daidoji Yuzan". That really resonated with me. Between medicine, the military, and my youth, I have seen enough violence, misery, and death to last me several lifetimes. I have no interest in competition, MMA, or any of that. Not that I am not competitive, but I get my fill of that in the academic arena, I need balance in my life. One thing I learned over the years, is that no one....NO ONE, ever wins a fight. I am thinking of taking Aikido as the art resonates with me, I am hoping to grow, develop balance, and finally......after decades, find even a small sliver of inner peace.

Anyway, it is my deepest honor to meet you, and I look forward to learning from all of you and your wisdom.

Mike

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. There's bound to be something of interest so jump in. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome. I was 58 when I started aikido and it has been a great experience. I hope it works well for you also.
:wavey:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to martial talk (MT) nice to meet you there's a lot of forums here and there's probably some people here who are in similar styles and can help, good place to get advice besides your instructor

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Mike. Look around ask questions and get involved. Enjoy!