Greatest kicking art

A

andurilking2

Im looking for an excellent percussive style art that has a primary focus on kicking, any good suggestions? Prefferably empty handed and not tkd.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm that's kind of like wanting to take an all punching art but not wanting to take boxing. I would visit a bunch of TKD schools and see if any of them train seriously before making that decision because there is no other art that concentrates so much of it's training time on learning how to kick from many different angles of attack. Or you could join for a year and then move on once you get a grasp of the basics of all the kicks. Lots of arts do some kicking, but none of them concentrate on it to the extent TKD does.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

andurilking2

well i heard alot about muai thai concentrating primarily on kicking but i am not sure i have never actually seen a muai thai class, if anyone knows anything about it please lemme know
Hmm that's kind of like wanting to take an all punching art but not wanting to take boxing. I would visit a bunch of TKD schools and see if any of them train seriously before making that decision because there is no other art that concentrates so much of it's training time on learning how to kick from many different angles of attack. Or you could join for a year and then move on once you get a grasp of the basics of all the kicks. Lots of arts do some kicking, but none of them concentrate on it to the extent TKD does.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
unfortunately your probably right but i am really trying to avoid tkd

OP
A

andurilking2

i heard that it is very very much like tkd is that true?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
from what I've heard, TKD and TSD are two twigs on the same branch of the Korean MA tree, but I'm not certain, as my experience with TSD has been fairly limited, and I only had 2 years of TKD.

My personal preference is for arts that encourage your feet to stay on the ground, but I've heard good things about Muay Thai

OP
A

andurilking2

thats pretty much the same impression i got from tsd and tkd.

OP
A

andurilking2

any web page or something i could go to for info on that?
streetwise Mi Zhong, Lost Track style from Northern Shaolin

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
not to seem impersonal about this but it really depends on what is iny our immedeate travel area. If you can't get to it it really dose not matter how goodit is you can't train in it.
The two befor mentioned arts and Savate are good choices as well as the brizialian foot fighting art (do not ask me to spell it )

OP
M

MartialArtist

I think your foolish to judge an art. Why not TKD? Is it the style or the schools that you don't like? :shrug:

OP
S

soccer50

Muay Thai is very simple art that focusses on power. Muay Thai ppl have the strongest kick I've seen.

TKD has bunch of kicks. The look cool too. TKD ppl have fastest kick ive seen

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh no. Now will come the "I've seen fast MT kicks" and the "I've felt hard TKD kicks" people.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Marginal
Oh no. Now will come the "I've seen fast MT kicks" and the "I've felt hard TKD kicks" people.
Is it not true? ;)

OP
S

spook mma

Originally posted by andurilking2
well i heard alot about muai thai concentrating primarily on kicking but i am not sure i have never actually seen a muai thai class, if anyone knows anything about it please lemme know

if your goal is to learn a variety of kicks, then you will be sorely disappointed in muay thai. muay thai relies on a small number (3?) of simple kicks that can be used at different heights ranges.

unfortunately your probably right but i am really trying to avoid tkd

IMO thai kicks are something that you can learn quickly and continue to practice on your own. there is no 'need' to take up muay thai as an art if the only thing that you desire is to learn 'the kick' (thai roundhouse). as was implied earlier, TKD is to kicking what boxing is to punching.

btw, i second the savate option.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to study a kicking art great. But select you school based on the ability of the instructor(s) to teach you and to apply the techniques, not the art they do.
(BTW if the instructor can do all kinds of wild kicks, but the students can't...you might want to question his ability to teach you.)

Latest Discussions