Greatest kicking art

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Is it not true? ;)

It's true to a point IMO. For example, I've taken back piercing kicks that bruised my hip despite a kicking pad being in the way... However, the broad, general focus of a MT kick is power and a TKD kick is speed. Both can generate speed and power, but I don't beleive it's innately wrong to say that a MT kick is is designed to be powerful and a TKD kick is designed to be fast. It's merely an oversimplifiation.

In other words, both speed and power ultimately depend on the pracititioner, but the doctrinal core remains.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Marginal
It's true to a point IMO. For example, I've taken back piercing kicks that bruised my hip despite a kicking pad being in the way... However, the broad, general focus of a MT kick is power and a TKD kick is speed. Both can generate speed and power, but I don't beleive it's innately wrong to say that a MT kick is is designed to be powerful and a TKD kick is designed to be fast. It's merely an oversimplifiation.

In other words, both speed and power ultimately depend on the pracititioner, but the doctrinal core remains.
I wouldn't say that, but there is some truth in it.

I would change that statement to say that the techniques, and not the art were developed for either power or speed. For instance, TKD does have the round kick, the very same kick in muay thai. It is taught alongside the roundhouse kick. It's that the sport version got rid of it since power isn't crucial for tag sparring. But then again, muay thai also teaches a lot of TKD-style kicks. Some places here might get arrogant saying there is nothing from to get from TKD, but just have a talk with the pros. I've talked to one MT pro ring fighter, so my experience is limited. I haven't stayed in Thailand longer than a month at a time, and most of it wasn't spent on MT training. However, Damian Mavis went from his experience was that the trainers in Thailand didn't curse out the TKD kicks at all. I've seen a couple of fights where the person did a TKD roundhouse with his lead leg at head level for the KO or at least a hard hit to the noggin.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by nightingale8472
from what I've heard, TKD and TSD are two twigs on the same branch of the Korean MA tree, but I'm not certain, as my experience with TSD has been fairly limited, and I only had 2 years of TKD.

That's actually a good way of putting it. TSD is very similar to the more combative styles of TKD you may find.

andurilking, I have to agree with MartialArtist here. If kicking is what you want, you should look around for a combat-oriented instructor of TKD. Failing that, you may want to look at some karate schools.

Capoeira? Now that's an interesting suggestion. It may also be worth looking into.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
I wouldn't say that, but there is some truth in it.

I would change that statement to say that the techniques, and not the art were developed for either power or speed.

Works for me.

However, Damian Mavis went from his experience was that the trainers in Thailand didn't curse out the TKD kicks at all. I've seen a couple of fights where the person did a TKD roundhouse with his lead leg at head level for the KO or at least a hard hit to the noggin.

Yep. In fact....

http://www.davidlane.dsl.pipex.com/kickbomatch2.wmv

Not Mr. Mavis, but a kickboxer vs an ex ITF BB by the name of Stuart Anslow. TKD kicks don't look especially useless there. ;)

OP
M

MartialArtist

Works for me.

Yep. In fact....

http://www.davidlane.dsl.pipex.com/kickbomatch2.wmv

Not Mr. Mavis, but a kickboxer vs an ex ITF BB by the name of Stuart Anslow. TKD kicks don't look especially useless there. ;)
Looks more like sport than combat TKD... Not what I'll call a fight fight, but still entertaining to watch. Analog to digital transfer?

OP
J

JTA

Sure, TKD kicks aren't useless if your opponet only uses kicks. But how many people are going to get into a kick fest with you?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dunno what brand of TKD you've seen, but It's kinda hard to apply your assertion against the fact I have to dodge/block/parry punches every sparring session as well. It's more a matter of application and not being a screaming retard with the kicks you do use.

I mean, I've seen JKD guys in MMA events try to open with jumping sidekicks. They got jammed and slammed to the mat in one breath, but I don't assume all JKD kicking techniques are impractical just because those practitioners were stupid..

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by JTA
Sure, TKD kicks aren't useless if your opponet only uses kicks. But how many people are going to get into a kick fest with you?
:rolleyes:

OP
S

Shinzu

i do not have much experience with TKD, but TSD is very similar to japanese shotokan. there is a lot of kicking techniques in TSD.

i like it.

OP
V

Venos-KSW

Anyone mention Taekyyon (sp?). Is it even available in the US?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Venos-KSW
Anyone mention Taekyyon (sp?). Is it even available in the US?

I've read that Taekyon is making a come back in Korea, but I'd be really surprised to find it in the US. I think it's usually thought of less as a martial art, and more of as a game.

Latest Discussions