Grappling Clips

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...if it hasn't been noticed already, one of our fellow MT members posted here asking for help with her grappling. She received many excellent replies. One member, Aaron Little, went out and actually filmed a clip with a few of his students, covering the question that Sarah had. Shortly after he posted the clip, he received some requests for future clips.

The point of this thread is to basically take a survey from the people who frequent this thread and forum. Aaron is looking for some ideas for future clips, as well as if this is something that people would like to see.

So.....comments/suggestions??

Mike

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is great, Im looking forward to seeing some future clips.

Being a beginner, I dont really know what to ask, but will post questions as I come across them in training!!

Thanks Aaron!

A

Aaron Little

As a coach and a video producer this should not be too much trouble to do. I am heading out to teach a seminar this weekend in Tennessee so I will not be able to post again until Monday. I will check in then and see what has been discussed and then decide what to shoot next. Lets keep the topics on Striking, Clinch/Wrestling,and Ground/Grappling for now.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aaron Little said:
As a coach and a video producer this should not be too much trouble to do. I am heading out to teach a seminar this weekend in Tennessee so I will not be able to post again until Monday. I will check in then and see what has been discussed and then decide what to shoot next. Lets keep the topics on Striking, Clinch/Wrestling,and Ground/Grappling for now.
Narrowing the topics down to three general ones sound good to me. I'll think some more about submitting specific questions/issues that you can consider within these topics and post them to you soon.

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been having trouble with this, but how do you quickly break the hold of the gyaku-juji-jime (reverse cross lock) from a mounted opponent? I've heard it said that you can push on the elbows to break the lock and then apply the same choke to them. There has to be another way to get out, because some opponents I have don't give easily at their elbows.

- Ceicei

M

Mark Weiser

I think grappling vids would be excellent. I am always looking for good info on other styles.

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Ok...if it hasn't been noticed already, one of our fellow MT members posted here asking for help with her grappling. She received many excellent replies. One member, Aaron Little, went out and actually filmed a clip with a few of his students, covering the question that Sarah had. Shortly after he posted the clip, he received some requests for future clips.

The point of this thread is to basically take a survey from the people who frequent this thread and forum. Aaron is looking for some ideas for future clips, as well as if this is something that people would like to see.

So.....comments/suggestions??

Mike
don't know if you folks have ever checked out the bjj.org site but they have awsome techs and afew good avi's, enjoy

btw, to get things rolling, the situation, you've set up your opponent with a jab, cross, roundhouse kick combo and you want to get him down, what is your next grappling move? osoto gari? single leg? what? got a vid you want to share?

http://www.bjj.org/techniques/

:asian:

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I've been having trouble with this, but how do you quickly break the hold of the gyaku-juji-jime (reverse cross lock) from a mounted opponent? I've heard it said that you can push on the elbows to break the lock and then apply the same choke to them. There has to be another way to get out, because some opponents I have don't give easily at their elbows.

- Ceicei
As they sink the initial grip (the most important part) take your opposite arm and feed it underneith the TOP arm they have cross gripped with. Feed your elbow through.... This will create a huge gap in their cross grip and they will be unable to complete the choke without changing techniques. As you feed underneith you should look to trap the cross gripped arm, trap the same side ankle (with your foot) and roll them.

This goes for when someone sinks a cross grip from guard as well. Opposite arm feeds under the TOP arm. If you feed under the bottom arm you make it tighter. I'll post a video tommorow if you want.

Dave Copeland SBGi Beaverton

PS- you can't choke a skilled player while they have you mounted.

A

Aaron Little

Thanks for the input. I will try and something new up by weekend.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
grappling_mandala said:
As they sink the initial grip (the most important part) take your opposite arm and feed it underneith the TOP arm they have cross gripped with. Feed your elbow through.... This will create a huge gap in their cross grip and they will be unable to complete the choke without changing techniques. As you feed underneith you should look to trap the cross gripped arm, trap the same side ankle (with your foot) and roll them.
Umm. Ok, I think I understand what you mean. When you say opposite, do you mean as in their Right arm with my Left arm, or is it R with R?

PS- you can't choke a skilled player while they have you mounted.
Why not?

Thanks!

- Ceicei

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ceicei said:

Not really any leverage when you're on your back. The reach advantage for the person on top is greater than the person on the bottom. If the one on the bottom extends their arms, they're opening themselves up to an armlock.

Mike

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy on top maintains an advantage of leverage. You can throw on a wicked sleeve or collar choke, and he just pretty much needs to wedge a forearm in your throat and press up. If he's nice. If he's not, he'll snag the arms you're choking him with, and use them as matchsticks.:)

D.

R

Rikki

Aside from getting armbarred, you have to remember that if they are mounted on you they are probably trying to make hamburger out of your face.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd be intersted in learning ways of countering take downs and also ways to transition from the ground back to a standing situation. Being a Kenpo guy I want to stay/get back to where my strength is. :mp5: Thanxs:asian:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
You need your legs to control the opponent and hold him in place. Without that he has all the leveredge, and mobility.

ll he really has to do is put his head on the floor and you got no leveredge to choke him. He can also dismount, or press your face to the floor with one hand, lift himself up a bit and go into a arm bar.

Or he can gi choke you, seeing as he's got the leveredge and you don't...

Few other nasty things that can happen...

Don't attack from the bottom of mount, escape first.

And while we are giving rules like that, don't attack from within there guard unless you are going for a leg lock or baiting him into something else. You're not going to tap a skilled person from within there guard...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Don't attack from the bottom of mount, escape first.
Excellent point to remember. I need to learn more escapes though... Hopefully, some of you may give better tips how to get out of that mounted choke. Thank you.

- Ceicei

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Timing is everything. You got to bridge hard while he is digging for it, once he is set and planted in position you're in trouble.

Most common mistake on bridging that people don't think of is not getting height. Bridge high, then go higher, then turn over.

If he has one hand in for the choke, that arm is easy to trap. He likely will open some space while digging for the second (His head isn't on the floor) So fight with him on it, get him working for that choke, all the while covertly setting up your escape (Trapping the arm and leg)

If you can't bridge him off at least buck him and drive him forward with your knee if you have to. Just keep him off balance BEFORE he gets it locked in place.

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Umm. Ok, I think I understand what you mean. When you say opposite, do you mean as in their Right arm with my Left arm, or is it R with R?
I mean the top players right arm is cross gripped, so that means his hand is on the inside of your right collar, so your reach UNDER with your RIGHT arm, get your elbow up into it, and clear the cross gripped hand. At that point you should already be thinking about a hipover reversal and a knee-elbow escape, whichever presents itself.

Why can't you choke someone from mount bottom? In reach up with your arms you expose a very valuable piece of real estate on your body, your armpits, their hips will close in on that space and isolate your upper body. Then they will punch you in the head, armbar you, choke you, triangle you, or a number of other fun things! Always best to keep your elbows in tight from mount bottom.

Dave in Oregon

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is an excellent idea! I would be very interested in seeing some video that might help me in my Kenpo as Maltair mentioned. We do very little groungwork in our school and I would be interested in seeing some simple beginner escapes that help me get back to my feet as quickly as possible. I really liked the first video...thanks for taking the time to create and post it! :ultracool

Latest Discussions