GOP may have Rush, Hannity and Levin moderate debates...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know nobody will read it though....don't want to interfere with their confirmation bias....

Back when non-Christians were killed/tortured/imprisoned/banished for not being Christian, there were not many non-Christian scientists in Christian areas.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many of the moons features are named after Jesuit's again?

We evolved from nothing...through the big bang...from "soup" to here? Sounds miraculous to me.

People thinking we believe "God" is a man with a white beard in the sky only illustrates their ignorance imo....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_science

Mathematics, engineering and architecture[edit source | editbeta]
According to art historian Kenneth Clark, "to medieval man, geometry was a divine activity. God was the great geometer, and this concept inspired the architect".[14] Monumental cathedrals such as that of Chartres appear to evidence a complex understanding of mathematics.[14] The Church has invested greatly in engineering and architecture and founded a number of architectural genres - including Byzantine, Romanesque, Gothic, High Renaissance and Baroque architecture.[10]
Development of Modern Science[edit source | editbeta]

"The Vitruvian Man" by Leonardo da Vinci.
Geology[edit source | editbeta]
Georgius Agricola (1494-1555), is considered the founder of geology and "Father of Mineralogy".[15][16] He made important contributions which paved the way for systematic study of the earth.[16] A German Catholic who retained his faith through the Reformation, he also wrote on patristics (early church history).[15]

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you believe religion belongs in a science classroom? If so, then why do you believe a lecture on evolution does not belong in your church?

Because my Pastor is long winded enough I dont think I could sit thru two lectures.
In reality our Church does have lectures from other faiths and beliefs. We also welcome any and all to come to our Bible studies and have had scientist and atheists come to "set us straight"

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back when non-Christians were killed/tortured/imprisoned/banished for not being Christian, there were not many non-Christian scientists in Christian areas.

Like I said....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So firsts they didn't have scientists now they did but they were all Christians? Which is it

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Copernicus[edit source | editbeta]
Main article: Copernicus

Nicolaus Copernicus, the clergyman astronomer who put the sun at the centre of the solar system, upsetting both scientific and religious accepted theory.
Nicolaus Copernicus was a Renaissance astronomer and Catholic clergyman who was the first person to formulate a comprehensive heliocentric cosmology which displaced the Earth from the centre of the universe.
In 1533, Johann Albrecht Widmannstetter delivered a series of lectures in Rome outlining Copernicus' theory. Pope Clement VII and several Catholic cardinals heard the lectures and were interested in the theory. On 1 November 1536, Nikolaus von Schönberg, Archbishop of Capua and since the previous year a cardinal, wrote to Copernicus from Rome:
Some years ago word reached me concerning your proficiency, of which everybody constantly spoke. At that time I began to have a very high regard for you... For I had learned that you had not merely mastered the discoveries of the ancient astronomers uncommonly well but had also formulated a new cosmology. In it you maintain that the earth moves; that the sun occupies the lowest, and thus the central, place in the universe... Therefore with the utmost earnestness I entreat you, most learned sir, unless I inconvenience you, to communicate this discovery of yours to scholars, and at the earliest possible moment to send me your writings on the sphere of the universe together with the tables and whatever else you have that is relevant to this subject ...[24]

"Big Bang" Theory for origin of the Universe[edit source | editbeta]

Georges Lemaitre, Belgian priest, astronomer and professor of physics pioneered the Big Bang theory for the development of the universe in the 1920s.
The Big Bang model, or theory, is now the prevailing cosmological theory of the early development of the universe and was first proposed by Belgian priest Georges Lemaitre, astronomer and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Louvain. Lemaître was a pioneer in applying Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity to cosmology. Lemaitre theorized in the 1920s that the universe began as a geometrical point which he called a "primeval atom", which exploded out and has been moving apart ever since. The idea became established theory only decades later with the discovery of cosmic background radiation by American scientists.[67]

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sponsorship of scientific research[edit source | editbeta]
In ancient times, the church supported medical research as an aid to Christian charity. The Church supported the development of modern science and scientific research by founding Europe's first universities in the Middle Ages. Historian Lawrence M. Principe writes that "it is clear from the historical record that the Catholic church has been probably the largest single and longest-term patron of science in history, that many contributors to the Scientific Revolution were themselves Catholic, and that several Catholic institutions and perspectives were key influences upon the rise of modern science."[68] The field of astronomy is a prime example of the Church's commitment to science. J.L. Heilbron in his book The Sun in the Church: Cathedrals as Solar Observatories writes that "The Roman Catholic Church gave more financial aid and support to the study of astronomy for over six centuries, from the recovery of ancient learning during the late Middle Ages into the Enlightenment, than any other, and, probably, all other, institutions."[69]

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of the moons features are named after Jesuit's again?

By the Greeks? None. By the Indians? None. By the Chinese? None. By the Church? Lots.

We evolved from nothing...through the big bang...from "soup" to here? Sounds miraculous to me.

But that a sentient being came to exist from nothing...that one you're willing to buy?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wait. What's going on here? Are you guys saying that if a Christian makes a scientific discovery, that it's not science?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if Arni knows he owes his livelihood to the Church?

The idea of an academy is due to the Greeks in the West and there were Islamic schools that paralleled the development of European higher ed. but the early universities were indeed largely under the control of the Catholic church, growing out of smaller religious-themed schools. But the church had its hands in everything back then.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait. What's going on here? Are you guys saying that if a Christian makes a scientific discovery, that it's not science?

No we are saying that the Church is not afraid of science in fact they are very much involved in many scientific advances

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No we are saying that the Church is not afraid of science in fact they are very much involved in many scientific advances

Some aren't, certainly. But that still doesn't make science the same as religion, nor does it make creationism a scientific theory.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not me. I said that the Church held back a lot of science and lagged behind scientific discoveries. Lots of individual Christian scientists have done excellent work--Newton was very religious, for example--but the Church as a whole resisted many advancements. It held back anatomy and physiology by opposing autopsies as disrespectful and sacrilegious, for example.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:lfao:

sorry mate....
but not really....
Unless you are talking in advances in personal gain for the clergy....
Sorry matette

During the Middle Ages, the Church founded Europe's first universities, producing scholars like Robert Grosseteste, Albert the Great, Roger Bacon and Thomas Aquinas who helped establish scientific method. During this period, the Church was also a great patron of engineering for the construction of elaborate cathedrals. Since the Renaissance, Catholic scientists have been credited as fathers of a diverse range of scientific fields: Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744–1829) prefigured the theory of evolution with Lamarkism; Friar Gregor Mendel (1822-84) pioneered genetics and Fr Georges Lemaitre (1894-1966) proposed the Big Bang cosmological model. The Jesuits have been particularly active, particularly in astronomy. Church patronage of sciences continues through elite institutions like the Pontifical Academy of Sciences and Vatican Observatory.

Latest Discussions