GOP may have Rush, Hannity and Levin moderate debates...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some aren't, certainly. But that still doesn't make science the same as religion
Never said it was.
, nor does it make creationism a scientific theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
All you got to do is tell me where people came from then. Prove it

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
During the Middle Ages, the Church founded Europe's first universities, producing scholars like Robert Grosseteste, Albert the Great, Roger Bacon and Thomas Aquinas who helped establish scientific method. During this period, the Church was also a great patron of engineering for the construction of elaborate cathedrals. Since the Renaissance, Catholic scientists have been credited as fathers of a diverse range of scientific fields: Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744–1829) prefigured the theory of evolution with Lamarkism; Friar Gregor Mendel (1822-84) pioneered genetics and Fr Georges Lemaitre (1894-1966) proposed the Big Bang cosmological model. The Jesuits have been particularly active, particularly in astronomy. Church patronage of sciences continues through elite institutions like the Pontifical Academy of Sciences and Vatican Observatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method#History

The modern scientific method crystallized no later than in the 17th and 18th centuries. In his work Novum Organum (1620) – a reference to Aristotle's Organon – Francis Bacon outlined a new system of logic to improve upon the old philosophical process of syllogism.[SUP][/SUP] Then, in 1637, René Descartes established the framework for scientific method's guiding principles in his treatise, Discourse on Method. The writings of Alhazen, Bacon and Descartes are considered critical in the historical development of the modern scientific method, as are those of John Stuart Mill.

Bacon was religious. Descartes' views on religion are disputed, from pious to atheist. Alhazen was Muslim. Mill was an atheist.

Overwhelmingly, scientists today are atheists. That the proportion was shifted in earlier times is no surprise.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any good scientist who is non religious would have to be agnostic instead of atheist Imo....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any good scientist who is non religious would have to be agnostic instead of atheist Imo....

You're right, if you interpret 'atheist' to mean a belief that there can be no god(s) rather than a lack of belief in a god(s). A scientists says "I don't believe in god" in the same way he says "I don't believe in vampires" or "I don't believe in the Loch Ness monster": He means that there is no evidence to support such a view so he does not hold it. The difference between an atheist and a theist is that the atheist knows what it would take to change his mind...evidence.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In related science news:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e4a20a-09b8-11e3-b87c-476db8ac34cd_story.html

Six years ago, in its last report, the IPCC concluded that there was a 90 percent certainty that human activity was responsible for most of Earth’s warming. The 2013 draft summary increased that certainty to 95 percent.

“Human influence on climate caused more than half of the observed increase in global surface temperature from 1951-2010,” the report said. “There is high confidence that this has warmed the ocean, melted snow and ice, raised global mean sea level, and changed some climate extremes, in the second half of the 20th century.”

The IPCC — composed of hundreds of scientists, including from federal agencies — tracks the impact of global warming on specific regions and species

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So where did these great apes come from?

That's a long story--much longer than Genesis. You have displayed such a great degree of ignorance of, and hostility to, science and the scientific approach that it wouldn't be worthwhile to do more than suggest you look up "evolution" on Wikipedia.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're right, if you interpret 'atheist' to mean a belief that there can be no god(s) rather than a lack of belief in a god(s). A scientists says "I don't believe in god" in the same way he says "I don't believe in vampires" or "I don't believe in the Loch Ness monster": He means that there is no evidence to support such a view so he does not hold it. The difference between an atheist and a theist is that the atheist knows what it would take to change his mind...evidence.

Hmmm..select your definition to support you point...scientists get to do that?

Fascinating.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a long story--much longer than Genesis. You have displayed such a great degree of ignorance of, and hostility to, science and the scientific approach that it wouldn't be worthwhile to do more than suggest you look up "evolution" on Wikipedia.

I have goes back to goo and chance

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So people that are paid to track global warming came up with the perfect way to make sure they keep getting funding to pay them huh shocker! If my paycheck depended on keeping people in fear Id come up with the same results.

They work for the IPCC on a volunteer basis.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, you did when you suggested that creationism is science.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I never did. I suggested it be taught as an alternative in schools. Taught in science class since they already are charged with teaching the topic, To keep it easier for teachers and students so Mr Jones in social studies doesn't need to figure out what Mr Smith is teaching in science so they don't confuse the kids.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm..select your definition to support you point...scientists get to do that?

'Atheist' isn't a scientific term. It's an English language word without a technical meaning.

DO you believe in vampires? Surely you must be agnostic on the question?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They work for the IPCC on a volunteer basis.

So the IPCC isnt funded?

That works out better now they can justify their paychecks back home by saying see the IPCC says we have a problem so we should keep finding my greenhouse gas removal projects

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never did. I suggested it be taught as an alternative in schools. Taught in science class since they already are charged with teaching the topic, To keep it easier for teachers and students so Mr Jones in social studies doesn't need to figure out what Mr Smith is teaching in science so they don't confuse the kids.

How would Mr. Jones know whether he should teach psychology as a social science or leave it to Mr. Smith as science?

Why would we divide classes into social sciences, sciences, etc., under your system? Most things can be viewed from many angles--philosophically, always. That's why you get a Ph.D. as the last degree in most fields--ultimately, it all comes from philosophy.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How would Mr. Jones know whether he should teach psychology as a social science or leave it to Mr. Smith as science?

Why would we divide classes into social sciences, sciences, etc., under your system? Most things can be viewed from many angles--philosophically, always. That's why you get a Ph.D. as the last degree in most fields--ultimately, it all comes from philosophy.

Because when your teaching the where did man come from or evolution it would be silly to teach part of it in Science with Mr Jones and then he say well there is other parts to the story but you need to wait until you get to Mr Smith next semester to hear more. Its just easier to teach it all at the same time in the same place by the same teacher to the same kids.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You may need to empty your cup, grasshopper.

Ive read it man. Ive studied Darwin I know he was freaked out by things like the eye and how it worked. He answer was well it just had to evolve from less effective eyes even if we cant prove it it just had to be that way. in evolution we all started from some single cell goo and poof a few billion years later and a few billion trial and errors and here we are. Of course there is no proof of this. There is no proof of where this Goo came from. But you can keep your blind faith and ill keep mine.

Latest Discussions