GOP may have Rush, Hannity and Levin moderate debates...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As to Rush...

See, in my humble opinion, folks, if you believe in God, then intellectually you cannot believe in manmade global warming … You must be either agnostic or atheistic to believe that man controls something that he can’t create.

The left always likes those three dots...the ones between the word "warming," and "you," the ones that cover everything else he said in that discussion on global warming....perhaps you could find the entire passage from his radio show and see exactly what he said on the matter...instead of relying on a left winger to qoute Rush...

Besides...he's right...man doesn't have the ability to change global temperature...too many other elements control that...like the sun...the oceans...volcanos...and the ice ages before man ever appeared...weren't caused by man either...and considering the way the climate changes...yeah, it is anti-science to think that man is too small to effect the earth's temperature...

Here is an actual Rush discussion of global warming in it's entirety...I don't think it is the same one as listed above...but it gets to his main beliefs on global warming...perhaps that website should read more of his discussion...

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/04/01/left_just_now_discovering_global_warming_hoax

Anyway, "Over the past 15 years air temperatures at the Earth's surface have been flat," they haven't moved; in fact, they may be lowering, "while greenhouse gas emissions have continued to soar. The world added roughly 100 billion tons of carbon to the atmosphere between 2000 and 2010. That is about a quarter of all the CO2 put there by humanity since 1750." Can I put that another way? In the ten years from 2000-2010, a hundred billion tons of carbon was added to the atmosphere. That's 25% of all the CO2 since 1750.
RUshEIBSnowstormSurvival.jpg

That's really concentrated levels. "And yet, as James Hansen, the head of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, observes, 'the five-year mean global temperature has been flat for a decade.'" Hansen, by the way, is one of the hoaxsters. "Temperatures fluctuate over short periods, but this lack of new warming is a surprise" to scientists, but it's not to me. "Ed Hawkins, of the University of Reading, in Britain, points out that surface temperatures since 2005 are already at the low end of the range of projections derived from 20 climate models.
"If they remain flat, they will fall outside the models' range within a few years," meaning their models are all wrong. "If, however, temperatures are likely to rise by only 2°C ... the calculation might change," and it goes on to get into some scientific minutia here. But the point is that just one story has the entire science community in an absolute tizzy. In the Australian, the way they write this in their headline is: "Twenty-Year Hiatus in Rising Temperatures Has Climate Scientists Puzzled."
Twenty years!

Here is a part where he discusses God and global warming...is this the quote and they misquoted it...or is it a different statement...

By the way, do you know that "greenhouse gas" is what you exhale?
Do you realize that by virtue of your very existence, you are poisoning the planet? Sorry, carbon dioxide, you exhale it. (exhales) I just poisoned the planet! The problem is, I can't help it. I was designed that way. Do you really think that a God... That's another problem. You may not believe in God. If you don't believe in God, manmade global warming is a real easy to accept. If you do believe in God, becomes a little harder. 'Cause if you believe in God, then you believe in creationism, and then you have to accept that you really don't matter.
Not in these terms.
Your life matters in terms of what it makes, but in terms of the ecosystem and how complex it is, you can't possibly matter. None of us do. But of those who matter, only those who fly on jets and drive cars do? Heh-heh-heh. Right. Right. The people that fly in jets and drive cars, they're the ones that are ruining the earth? Yeah, right. People who are engaging in progress are destroying the planet? Right. That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Sunspot activity has slowed down, and that means global warming has stopped, and the earth is beginning to cool. Enjoy global warming while it lasts!
BREAK TRANSCRIPT
RUSH: The last ice age was 4,000 years ago. Therefore, my friends, the earth has been warming for the last 4,000 years. The problem is, scientists can't tell us why. Not the last 4,000. They say global warming is just in the last 25 years -- ah, "manmade." Yes. But why has it been warming for 4,000 years? They can't tell us. They have no idea. In fact, they don't know why we have ice ages in the first place. They don't know why it cools. All we know is that a lot more people die from the cold than from global warming. And here is Vincent, Indianapolis. Hi, Vincent. Glad you called. Great to have you on the program.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here may be Rush's discussion...a little more context...

http://dinnertopics.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/abortion-creation-and-global-warming-hoax/

See, in my humble opinion, folks, if you believe in God, then intellectually you cannot believe in manmade global warming. You must be either agnostic or atheistic to believe that man controls something he can’t create.

It’s always, in fact, been one of the reasons for my anti-manmade global warming stance. The vanity, I mean, these people on the one hand, we’re no different than a mouse or a rat. If you’re listening to the animal rights activists, we are the pollutants of this planet.

If it weren’t for humanity, the militant environmentalist wackos, if it weren’t for humanity, the earth would be pristine and wonderful and beautiful. Nobody would see it. According to them, we’re different. We are not as entitled to life on this planet as other creatures because we destroy it.

But how can we destroy it when we’re no different than the lowest life forms?

And then on the other end, the vanity and the arrogance, we are so powerful and we are so omnipotent, that we can destroy. We can’t even stop a rain shower, but we can destroy the climate. And how? With barbecue pits and automobiles, particularly SUVs. It’s absurd. But nevertheless the esteemed secretary is running around saying that climate change is a challenge to our responsibilities as the safe guarders of God’s creation. Just ask him, what about God’s creation called a fetus?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why it's impossible to take you seriously--you're continually and solely using highly biased sources with cherry-picked, out-of-context quotes and only one end result allowed: Obama is evil. This is great for reinforcing your bizarre conspiracy theories but not for you being seen as having something to contribute to a discussion on a political matter. That it isn't feasible to bust you on it every time seems to make you think that some of it is legitimate--but it's not the case that when there are two sides to the story that they're both equally valid. Sometimes one side is just a Tea Party fantasy.

Yes. Every time. E.V.E.R.Y. S.I.N.G.L.E. T.I.M.E.
How do we know when Billc is spreading misinformation? He's typing on Martialtalk.

The September 2013 issue of National Geographic, which just arrived in the mail a few days ago, has a very good cover article on the issue. For those who need an education on the matter (hint: Billc and friends) it's presented in a very readable format, fully understandable by the typical literate non-scientist member of society.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm gonna cut right thru the BS and get straight to the point, and most likely Billc will act hurt and offended again.

Nobody puts this kind of time and effort into what amounts to a monumental display of enthusiastic ignorance, without getting paid to do it. So Billc is either employed in some fashion by the Fossil Fuels industry, or else he is a large stake stockholder and he's hoping to get rich off the profits.

So Billc: which is it? Who's paying you to post this endless row of Bovine Defecation?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm gonna cut right thru the BS and get straight to the point, and most likely Billc will act hurt and offended again.

Nobody puts this kind of time and effort into what amounts to a monumental display of enthusiastic ignorance, without getting paid to do it. So Billc is either employed in some fashion by the Fossil Fuels industry, or else he is a large stake stockholder and he's hoping to get rich off the profits.

So Billc: which is it? Who's paying you to post this endless row of Bovine Defecation?

I'm neither and I think your global warming fear and we are all going to die is total BS. Gets too hot global warming cooler then normal summer its global warming record snow fall global warming no snow at all global warming. Were all going to die were all going to die unless we tax CO2.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In fact its a little chilly here today I think I'll go start all my cars and tractors and burn a little fossil fuel in the driveway and warm it up a little

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The earth is warming overall, in the sense that the average (over space and time) temp. of the earth's surface is increasing annually. That's what global warming means. You have to know the terms to follow the discussion. Global climate change--more extreme extremes on both ends--is a more complicated matter.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The earth is warming overall, in the sense that the average (over space and time) temp. of the earth's surface is increasing annually. That's what global warming means. You have to know the terms to follow the discussion. Global climate change--more extreme extremes on both ends--is a more complicated matter.

clearly there are those who simply lack the capacity to understand the issue.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And there are people who overblow the issue...and people demanding political change when its unproven what the causes are...what our actions would even mean or if the data we are looking at has any real meaning compared to the millions of years of climate change we don't have recorded.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the proof is abundant and all around. For some, no amount of proof will suffice, and burying one's head in the sand seems to be the favorite strategy.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand its getting warmer it does that every time we come out of an ice age like we are now. Then in a few 100000 more years it will cool off again and everything will freeze. It did it long before we had evil cars and factories and will keep doing it. Its beyond our control and driving a Prius or taxing cow farts won't change it

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the proof is abundant and all around. For some, no amount of proof will suffice, and burying one's head in the sand seems to be the favorite strategy.
So whats the solution if we have all this proof? Hold the US and Europe to different pollution standards then China India and Africa? Oh and plant a tree so I can fly my private jet to Italy for a slice of pizza.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So whats the solution if we have all this proof? Hold the US and Europe to different pollution standards then China India and Africa? Oh and plant a tree so I can fly my private jet to Italy for a slice of pizza.

we all need to be willing to consider making changes, both individually and on a national and world scale. Pursuit of renewable, non-fossil fuel energy sources are a good start, but those are things that get a lot of opposition because the powerful fossil-fuel industry still wants to profit from what's left, what we haven't burned up yet.

But as long as people refuse to recognize what is before their very noses, meaningful changes for the better will never get traction. Personally, I believe it is already too late. Even if we shut off all new pollution right this moment, we are still in for a rough ride, before my lifetime is done. But that being so (in my opinion, anyway), we still need to embrace these kinds of changes instead of pretending it's all a lie simply because that's the most comfortable answer that we would all like to believe.

it ain't a lie. Anyone who thinks it is, is deliberately looking the other way, or is enthusiastically ignorant, in the face of abundant opportunities to become educated about it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we all need to be willing to consider making changes, both individually and on a national and world scale. Pursuit of renewable, non-fossil fuel energy sources are a good start, but those are things that get a lot of opposition because the powerful fossil-fuel industry still wants to profit from what's left, what we haven't burned up yet.

But as long as people refuse to recognize what is before their very noses, meaningful changes for the better will never get traction. Personally, I believe it is already too late. Even if we shut off all new pollution right this moment, we are still in for a rough ride, before my lifetime is done. But that being so (in my opinion, anyway), we still need to embrace these kinds of changes instead of pretending it's all a lie simply because that's the most comfortable answer that we would all like to believe.

it ain't a lie. Anyone who thinks it is, is deliberately looking the other way, or is enthusiastically ignorant, in the face of abundant opportunities to become educated about it.

I got no issues with finding new sources of energy and nothing is stopping people from trying it. If they could get it to work and make a profit from it they would have no problem getting support. But Fear mongering and selling humanity downfall is where you loose credibility.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow, I'm looking forward to seeing Rush Limbaugh et al moderate (haha) the GOP primary debates! It's like the Republicans are trying to alienate moderate voters and ruin their chances at winning the White House for another 4 years.

Eventually GOP leaders are going to realize that embracing his kind of far-right rhetoric and policies - in order to appeal to the really hardcore partisan primary voter base in their local districts - is hurting them on the national stage. I doubt they'll win the White House again until they realize that and tack back to center.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And there are people who overblow the issue...and people demanding political change when its unproven what the causes are...

But they are proven--using the same basic methods of science used to show that antibiotics cure bacterial infections and the earth orbits the sun.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand its getting warmer it does that every time we come out of an ice age like we are now. Then in a few 100000 more years it will cool off again and everything will freeze. It did it long before we had evil cars and factories and will keep doing it. Its beyond our control and driving a Prius or taxing cow farts won't change it

Can events have more than one cause, or be affected by more than one factor?

Latest Discussions