Good and Bad Taiji

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
Formosa Neijia,

Thanks for that. I can accept that, (don't agree with his methods) but if that is what it was - fine!! He would have been better emphasizing Yang Cheng-fu's 10 essences though.

Very best wishes

Got it. On page 132 of Tai Chi Connections, he mentions shaking occasionally in a posture to check his root and looseness. He's not saying to always do your form like that, though.

His other advice seems congruent to YCF's 10 essences. In fact, most of the book seems to be about clearing up people's problems so they can have those essences.

The book is quite good actually. It's a shame it isn't more talked about. He clears up a lot of issues that most people have.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Formosa Neijia for providing some level of understanding to the intent of the clip. Unfortunately, too often videos of 'internal' arts are viewed for their 'performance' value and evaluated based on what the eye sees (or perhaps what the mind of the viewer wants to see). Especially if the viewer's intent is to grade videos; unfortunately you-tube with its little stars kinda encourages this.

In retrospect, I did come onto this thread a little strong, and maybe confrontational, and for that i do apologize. However, point remains that tai chi is an internal art, and there are different strokes for different folks. Rather than good vs bad on the basis of a clip, i'd prefer to just let them be, and discuss constructively, rather than making fun of what may not be understood. There may be a lesson hiding in there that one can apply to his own practice.

For instance, I was able to go back with my students this weekend and teach the 'head butt' application that exists within the style we practice. Nothing like the clip, but there was a seed planted somewhere...

pete.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

Yes, absolutely a Taiji priciple. Finding your opponents centre needs to be developed by trainingTing Jin (Listening/sensing) energy. This is also one of the central pillars of push hands training (or at least should be!!!!). It is the key to not using strength in Taiji applications. I did not know it was also used in Kempo. That is interesting.

Very best wishes (as always).

East winds,
in kempo it is taught to use minimal strength in your techniques because the assumption is that your attacker will be bigger, stronger and / or faster than you. However, my exposure to different martial artists over the years and especially taiji has lead me to recognize that my first kempo teacher's teachers were studying a some yang taiji and possibley CMC. Based on the principles she emphasized over and over again that others do not and, on certain postures in our techniques...and that i have see my second kempo instructors teacher doing the 108 form although he does not talk about it i cannot imagine the type of schizophrenia entailed in learning such prinicples from taiji and not having influence ones teaching.

Respectfully,
Marlon
still practicing my 108 yang form and loving it...who knows if i am improving in taiji...but my kempo sure is!!!

Quotheraving

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Got it. On page 132 of Tai Chi Connections, he mentions shaking occasionally in a posture to check his root and looseness. He's not saying to always do your form like that, though.

His other advice seems congruent to YCF's 10 essences. In fact, most of the book seems to be about clearing up people's problems so they can have those essences.

The book is quite good actually. It's a shame it isn't more talked about. He clears up a lot of issues that most people have.

See and there was me thinking that he was doing for T'ai chi what Arnold Rimmer did for the salute :duh:

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
See and there was me thinking that he was doing for T'ai chi what Arnold Rimmer did for the salute :duh:
:)

Yeah well that's understandable too. The clip likely was taken at random from the DVD so it didn't show anything in context. Ironic since the guy thought he was helping people toward a more traditional and conservative Yang style. I say that because he mentions being a traditionalist many times.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the words to keep in mind here are "out of context".

I have two of his books as well, and like his methods of finding connections and alignment.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete,

Thanks for your usual constructive input to this discussion. People who post on YouTube can expect comments on their performance (good or bad). I have no desire to post anything on such forums. Unlike you, my identity and qualifications in Taiji are easy to find. I do not protect myself behind what I type or on a screen name. I seem to recall you being asked once or twice about your knowledge and style of taiji, only to be met with the your usual stunning silence. Would you care to enlighten us now?

Very best wishes

I agree with you compltely on the substance of this matter - but pete does give a website on his bagua on Long Island invite thread. It is a well put together and informative site, and his school seems to be a place offering quality and varied instruction. I would not question his qualifications after what I saw there - you should look at it.

I have no doubt pete and donna could teach valuable things, especially as my experience from kempo to Tai Chi appears at least generally similar in nature to theirs. But my dealings with him here are the same as yours and "Torquemada's"..... I wouldn't ask this guy for directions to the bus station. Too bad.

Latest Discussions