Going to look at a new Dojo

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a little tardy, but oh well. Slow forum anyway.

Coming from a GoJu and aikido background I will add that I've found aikido complimentary to GoJu kata bunkai. For example, the obvious being mawashiuke translating to jujinage or kaitenage. Kata like Seiunchin and Sanseiru or Tensho really translate well to aikido influenced bunkai. Just something to look forward to for compatibility's sake.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Got to use some Aikido last night at work. It was so cool. Crowded downtown area with few thousand drunk people when the bars all closed down. I was breaking up a fight had the guys apart when a third guy came charging in at me I side stepped redirected him with one arm on his neck and he went flying and landed on his butt a good 6 feet away. All I could hear in crowd was WOW did you see that and a bunch of people started clapping. It was great. I don't even know if grabbing the neck is a move or not I've only learned arms so far but the movement was the same.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got to use some Aikido last night at work. It was so cool. Crowded downtown area with few thousand drunk people when the bars all closed down. I was breaking up a fight had the guys apart when a third guy came charging in at me I side stepped redirected him with one arm on his neck and he went flying and landed on his butt a good 6 feet away. All I could hear in crowd was WOW did you see that and a bunch of people started clapping. It was great. I don't even know if grabbing the neck is a move or not I've only learned arms so far but the movement was the same.

Nice!!

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I must say after been going to classes for only a few months alot of the "knocks" on Aikido I have read about seem to be very much false.

#1 You need to train for YEARS before you can ever even think of using an Aikido Technique in real life.
Ive only been going for a few months and have already used an arm bar transport carry I was taught and the other day I launched a guy and sent him to his butt.

#2 There are no striking in
We learn strikes in my class including elbows and punches and kicks. We are told Aikido is 70% striking

#3 it does not work against someone who resists
Ive tried to resist and if you do it HURTS!!! If they wanted to destroy my elbows or shoulders or wrists they could easily but thankfully they dont.

Now Im no expert and these are just my personal observations and I know it will be different depending on which Dojo you go to but Ive been plesantly suprized so far. Having been involved in Martial arts for most of my life and involved in occupations that have some focus on self defense and fighting including the Marine Corps and Police Work I can say in my opinon Aikido has its place in Selfdefense and can be extreamly effective.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must say after been going to classes for only a few months alot of the "knocks" on Aikido I have read about seem to be very much false.

#1 You need to train for YEARS before you can ever even think of using an Aikido Technique in real life.
Ive only been going for a few months and have already used an arm bar transport carry I was taught and the other day I launched a guy and sent him to his butt.

We learn strikes in my class including elbows and punches and kicks. We are told Aikido is 70% striking

Ive tried to resist and if you do it HURTS!!! If they wanted to destroy my elbows or shoulders or wrists they could easily but thankfully they dont.

Now Im no expert and these are just my personal observations and I know it will be different depending on which Dojo you go to but Ive been plesantly suprized so far. Having been involved in Martial arts for most of my life and involved in occupations that have some focus on self defense and fighting including the Marine Corps and Police Work I can say in my opinon Aikido has its place in Selfdefense and can be extreamly effective.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate your perspective. That's very good information to have.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It is said - to taste is to know :) I am glad you have your own sample of experience to base your judgements on :) and a little experience is better than none at all I think.. good luck with your continuing studies, Jx

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad another person has experienced what Aikido is about and realised that although it may look all nice and like people are just 'taking dives' they are really only doing that to prevent injury. (Hence why its taught in addition to the locks and throws)

If every uke resisted as hard as they could and never ukemi'd out of a throw the dojo would be an empty place (or just full of people watching with broken/dislocated elbows/wrists :)

In our dojo we resist at times and other times we dont. If we're trying to learn the technique then we start out soft and as we start to explore it we start resisting more. Gives a good foundation and then a more 'real world' feeling. This of course means as you start resisting you'd better hope you ukemi is up to scratch. But interestingly the more relaxed your uke is, often the harder it is to do the technique correctly. If your uke is holding on for dear life its easy to unbalance and move them around. If they're relaxed and go with your flow then thats where good technique comes into it.

Its a rare thing but there's nothing quite like doing a perfect technique.. you've felt no effort on your part but your uke is on the floor halfway across the dojo.. its fantastic, hehe

Latest Discussions