GM Atillo's new web site

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found this new web site yesterday. A very well done production with some highly infomative commentary. It seems that in the past there have been some discussions and disagreements about the roots of Balintawak, as well as who is who and what is what within the system(s). I have listed the site address below and i would love to have the membership's opinions after you people read through the data, most particularly the history section.

www.atillobalintawak.com

Morgan

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this branch of Balintawak on this site?

I have a few questions from the website.

Unde Techniques the striking or counting only goes up to 10 and some of the numbers there are not the same as what I know from my own studies.

Just curious.

Thanks

OP
M

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this branch of Balintawak on this site?

I have a few questions from the website.

Unde Techniques the striking or counting only goes up to 10 and some of the numbers there are not the same as what I know from my own studies.

Just curious.

Thanks

Hello Mr. Parsons,

I'm not familiar with any Balintawak styles, however, I believe that strikes 6, 7, 8 and 9 are simply reversals of the Modern Arnis strikes of the same numbers. As I played with GM Atillo's strikes it seems to me that #10 would be a downward forehand strike to the center or crown of the head.

As to whether or not the 10 strike system is unique to Atillo Balintwak I can't say. My instructor taught the Modern Arnis 12 strike system as an add-on to our Kenpo program. Nearly all of our blunt instrument defenses can from Modern Arnis, so I'm familiar with that striking system.

Morgan

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Mr. Parsons,

I'm not familiar with any Balintawak styles, however, I believe that strikes 6, 7, 8 and 9 are simply reversals of the Modern Arnis strikes of the same numbers. As I played with GM Atillo's strikes it seems to me that #10 would be a downward forehand strike to the center or crown of the head.

As to whether or not the 10 strike system is unique to Atillo Balintwak I can't say. My instructor taught the Modern Arnis 12 strike system as an add-on to our Kenpo program. Nearly all of our blunt instrument defenses can from Modern Arnis, so I'm familiar with that striking system.

Morgan

Morgan,

Thanks for the information. In all of the Balintawak I have seen, Number 3 is a backhand, and number 4 is the forehand. That is my question about the strikes. As well as why not 12 as this is what I have seen elsewhere as well.

Like I said just curius if there was a reason or history of this change.

Thanks

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Moderator Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

I had to think about this for a minute, so I didn't post in return right away. Yes, your right, I should be more polite; that was the rude "American" in me coming out and I apologize.

Saying that there are many untruths on that website is O.K. to say, because that is the case.

And it is fustrating because there is no need for it. Mr. Atillo is very disrespectful to his contemporaries through his version of history, which is not fitting for his culture. I can relate because when my instructor had told a story that might lead to embarassment for one of his contemporaries, he would not say that persons name out of respect. To this day there are a few stories in which I do not know exactly "who" they are about because it would be disrespectful to the family name to mention it.

So you see, even if Atillo's version of history is correct (which it isn't, as varified by numerous sources) culturally it would be disrespectful to mention peoples names as the website does in an unfavorable light. You just don't do that in Filipino culture. If you have beef with someone, you confront or challange them. You don't try to drag their name through the mud. The most you could do would be to mention who won or lost a challange, and generally you don't mention that if you were involved in the match yourself; you would let the numerous witnessess who should be there tell the story. This is how it is in Filipino culture.

I mention this because people will enevitably get on me to say that in Filipino culture, I shouldn't be disrespectful to my elders. This would be true, unless cultural respect is being violated by the other party first.

And the sad thing is that none of this is necessary. There is no need to drag peoples names through the mud. You just cut off your nose to spite your face. It doesn't help your business, or help you get new students, and it doesn't help others to support you. Mr. Atillo is an "old man" who lived during a very interesting time in Filipino culture. This alone would help him to get many supporters. If he was a bit more respectful to his contemporaries, many people would help him to get his material to the public.

But, Mr. Atillo has chosen to go the other way. This is really a shame.

And dealing with this through the internet will only go so far.

So, I patiently await the day that I can in person confront Mr. Atillo or any of his top people in charge to deal with this issue.

Paul Janulis

Latest Discussions