hope it last me a while

are 45 bullets alot more cost wise?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
getting a custom blue barrel glock model 21 great price

hope it last me a while

are 45 bullets alot more cost wise?

Yes; it is significantly more $$, which was why my first pistol was a 9mm. I wanted a defensive round that was cheaper to practice with so I could put thousands of rounds down range. I had intended to get a .45 at a later date when I was well practiced, which I did.

But, another way to go is to get the .45 if you can get it for a good price, then get a conversion kit. A conversion kit will convert your .45 into a .22 so you can shoot .22 rounds (which are the cheapest you can buy) out of your glock: http://www.glockworld.com/22lr.htm

I would recommend getting at least 1 extra .22 mag so you can mag change, and I recommend getting the LE model rather then the target model to keep your practice as close to you real weapon. The only 2 disadvantages I can see to going this route are... 1. recoil. .22 recoil doesn't kick as hard as the .45, making it not exactly the same feel as your defensive round. This is easily remedied with good combat shooting technique, and by shooting .45 rounds through your gun every so often to ensure that you can adjust to the difference. 2. cost. A kit with an extra mag will run you an extra $300 bucks.

This seems like a good thing to do; I actually intend on getting a kit for mine maybe this summer or Xmas next year. Since I have never used or purchased one, though, I am not sure of any other concerns regarding this. So perhaps someone who has a conversion kit for their .45 can offer some advice?

:)

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Had a second gen 17 many years ago, sold it, because it didn't fit my hand, otherwise great gun. My friend just recently got a new 19 with the finger grooves. For some reason it fits much better than I expected it to, better than the 17. I think the slightly shorter grip puts the palmswell in a different area than the fullsize? Nice all around size too - not too big not too small.

magaskins

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a die-hard-tricked-out Colt series 70 combat commander owner and I carry a 2nd gen Glock 30, what does that say about this weapon? Frankly, I'm more confident in the safety, reliability and accuracy of the Glocks.

Holster selection for CCW is extremely important; the biggest mistake I see is people paying big bucks for a quality weapon such as Glock or HK, and stuffing it in a $20 nylon holster... your holster is no place to cheap out if you plan on carrying for personal defense. I have a Fobus paddle holster that is custom fitted to my specific model and another ITWB made from Kydex. Both are extremely comfortable as well as secure. You will most likely end up with several holsters before you find your favorite.

Find the model that fits you most comfortably, then experiment with the different personal defense ammunition available. In a very short period of time you will find a combination that works best for you.

Salute,
Mark Gaskins

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a 21 that's a few years old. It's pretty bulky for carrying, but the stopping power, as well as the slower muzzle velocity of the .45 make it worth it, I think. I only carry it when I'm hiking or hunting, and I keep it quiet because some people I hike with wouldn't be as comfortable knowing that I have it.

I'm a big guy, and I can make it disappear pretty quickly in a horizontal shoulder holster, but if you are built with a smaller frame, I imagine it would be more obvious.

Usually I keep it in my truck, easily accessible under the right side of my seat (captain's chairs). I carried it this way for years, then made friends with an FBI agent, who told me "if I was to give advice to my son, for instance, I would tell him to keep it accessible in his car, and not worry about carrying it". Things are pretty quiet where I live, and most situations here aren't going to be a "quick-draw surprise" kind of a thing. If you're awake, you should be able to see the need for a gun ahead of time. For the surprise walking down the street kind of stuff, I usually rely first on not being stupid enough to get into a dumb situation, then second on being able to react quick enough to escape. But, like I said, I live in a quiet town. If I moved, I would have to re-think a lot of this stuff.

My Dad had shot a .357 Blackhawk for years before he got his Glock, and it took him a long time to get used to the "Double-action-only" feeling of the longer trigger pull. So definitely spend some time getting used to the different feeling of the gun before you need to rely on it. For me, it was one of the first pistols I had really spent any dedicated time with, so I was able to adjust to it faster.

I'm interested in the subject of the conversion kits brought up earlier. I knew someone who had three or four kits he could put into one frame, but I've lost touch with him since several years ago. Anybody here have any experience with them?

-Travis

Latest Discussions