Glock Handgun

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I want is for Glock to offer the option of the Finger Grips for thsoe who want them. And to offer a Straight Frame for those like me who prefer not to have those grips line up with the middle of my fingers. If I wanted them then I could add their old Add on in the location I wanted to make sure I coudl still have a proper grip.

There is another option. There are plenty of factory refurbished police trade-ins, that have the 2nd generation frames (no finger grooves, no rails). These are carefully inspected, tested, cleaned, and all parts are stripped down and replaced, if needed. They undergo a final cleaning and refinishing, and are as good as new. Usually you can find them for under 400 bucks, if you look carefully.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is another option. There are plenty of factory refurbished police trade-ins, that have the 2nd generation frames (no finger grooves, no rails). These are carefully inspected, tested, cleaned, and all parts are stripped down and replaced, if needed. They undergo a final cleaning and refinishing, and are as good as new. Usually you can find them for under 400 bucks, if you look carefully.

Thanks, and while I know they would do a great job, part of me says if people can complain about TV's and Cars and other products then why can I not complain about something I want from a manufacturer? ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought we weren't supposed to have religious arguments here :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score

lol. No, I belong to the Church of ladder day glock. ;)

But seriously, a lot of the Kimber 1911's I have had in my hand tend to have a slimmer profile for concealed carry (especially a larger person), yet are plenty large enough to fit in a larger persons hands.

I've never tried carrying one myself, but I would think it might be a better fit for a larger person then some of the other concealed carry choices.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score

Heh, that made me crack a huge smile and a chortle.

I've played a bit with the 19, and (is the the 22? The 40 cal version?), but I think I'd have to put a few hundred rounds out there to give it a fair shake. I was raised on the open slide of a Berretta and Taurus, so the weight seems a bit different, and the site config, not to mention that in/trigger safety was bizarre as hell to me. But, I think I could get used to one if I had to ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kimbers are nice. I would never ever own a stock one. I've fired them. The triggers out of the box were way too light, and the travel was dangerously short. They couldn't have been more than a pound and a half. It's ND waiting to happen, and not waiting too patiently. Mind, if I could replace it with a good three pound trigger it would be a great gun.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I'd skip all that and just get a nice Kimber full size 1911.

Well I am happy with my full size H&K, if I go looking for something else it will be just like my car and my truck and my motorcycle and this gun, I handled them before I bought them and were bought for a specific purpose.

:)

PS: I prefer these religious discussions to some other ones. :D ;)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kimbers are nice. I would never ever own a stock one. I've fired them. The triggers out of the box were way too light, and the travel was dangerously short. They couldn't have been more than a pound and a half. It's ND waiting to happen, and not waiting too patiently. Mind, if I could replace it with a good three pound trigger it would be a great gun.
Which model were you shooting? was it a competition/custom-shop model? I ask because I believe most of their pistols come with a 4-5 lb. trigger-pull.

bigkicks

White Belt
Reaction score
i have serveral glocks but i have to say my fav is the glock 36. it is the single stack slim line 45acp. i take it where ever i go. i am a big guy and can conceal a full size 21,17,or 22, but i feel more comforatable with my g36.

if you go with a 40cal, you might what to consider buying the 357 sig version and buy the extra barrel to shoot 40s&W cartrige in. its like having two guns in one. but if you buy the 40 version you can't shoot 357 sig in it, the gun will not take the pressure.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have serveral glocks but i have to say my fav is the glock 36. it is the single stack slim line 45acp. i take it where ever i go. i am a big guy and can conceal a full size 21,17,or 22, but i feel more comforatable with my g36.

if you go with a 40cal, you might what to consider buying the 357 sig version and buy the extra barrel to shoot 40s&W cartrige in. its like having two guns in one. but if you buy the 40 version you can't shoot 357 sig in it, the gun will not take the pressure.
I've been thinking a lot about doing just that very thing lately.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I carry a Glock Model 22 and Model 27, depending on whether I'm in uniform or plainclothes. It's possible -- though impractical, uncomfortable, and difficult -- to carry the Model 22 concealed, if you're big enough. Small of the back carry is best for that, though it takes practice. The Model 27 is easily concealed, and you can buy an extender for the magazine that adds that last bit for the grip. I've fired Model 27s both ways; with the extender and without, and don't personally have a major issue either way. I shoot slightly better with the extender -- but not so much so that I'd personally worry about it. At realistic combat ranges when I'd be using it -- it's point shooting anyway!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what models the two were. One was a new Kimber a friend had bought. The other was one that a guy on the range was shooting and let us try. I think his was a custom job.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry a Glock Model 22 and Model 27, depending on whether I'm in uniform or plainclothes. It's possible -- though impractical, uncomfortable, and difficult -- to carry the Model 22 concealed, if you're big enough. Small of the back carry is best for that, though it takes practice.

I'll have to disagree on this matter.

Once upon a time, when I was a dirt-poor grad student, the only gun that was in my collection was a Glock 17 (full sized, same size as the Glock 22). At first, I tried various types of shoulder holsters (too uncomfortable), as well as various ballistic nylon holsters, but none of them held the gun securely enough for me.

One day, I bit the bullet, and splurged on a 60 dollar Galco Silhouette holster (horsehide leather, OWB), and found that suddenly, the gun was held very snugly to the body. Once my cheap 10 dollar thin Walmart belt broke, I spent another 30 bucks at the gun show, and bought a very nice, thick leather belt that's still around my waist to this date. The combination of a good holster and a solidly constructed belt, made concealing that Glock 17 much, much easier, and that it disappeared underneath an untucked shirt, even in the hot and humid South Carolina weather.

I've since then bought only higher end holsters (Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, Desantis (to a lesser degree)), and have been quite comfortable carrying any of my Glocks.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone here use Dave Workman's T-Bar or T-BarII holsters?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry a Glock Model 22 and Model 27, depending on whether I'm in uniform or plainclothes. It's possible -- though impractical, uncomfortable, and difficult -- to carry the Model 22 concealed, if you're big enough. Small of the back carry is best for that, though it takes practice. The Model 27 is easily concealed, and you can buy an extender for the magazine that adds that last bit for the grip. I've fired Model 27s both ways; with the extender and without, and don't personally have a major issue either way. I shoot slightly better with the extender -- but not so much so that I'd personally worry about it. At realistic combat ranges when I'd be using it -- it's point shooting anyway!
I got to disagree with something else. SOB carry isn't what I consider an ideal method. It's not as easy to get too, and there have been people who have fallen and had some serious back injuries from it. Strong side behind the hip is the best way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I generally only carry full sized pistols. 1911's, CZ 75, and Occasionally my Glock 17. With the right leather and or kydex and sensible choice of dress, it's easy and comfortable to carry OWB.

Jeff

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard about the "Fall on SOB - break your back" thing. But I've never actually heard of a case where it happened. It's always been "might", "could" or "would". There may be such cases, just never had a real case described. Of course, falling on your side with hip or IWB carry could break the bursa or otherwise damage your hip.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
One day, I bit the bullet, and splurged on a 60 dollar Galco Silhouette holster (horsehide leather, OWB), and found that suddenly, the gun was held very snugly to the body. Once my cheap 10 dollar thin Walmart belt broke, I spent another 30 bucks at the gun show, and bought a very nice, thick leather belt that's still around my waist to this date. The combination of a good holster and a solidly constructed belt, made concealing that Glock 17 much, much easier, and that it disappeared underneath an untucked shirt, even in the hot and humid South Carolina weather.

I've since then bought only higher end holsters (Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, Desantis (to a lesser degree)), and have been quite comfortable carrying any of my Glocks.
Exactly...Buy a decent holster/belt combo (I use a Milt Sparks belt and holster) and many of the concealment issues become non-issues. I can carry under an untucked T-shirt w/o anybody noticing...even those that know I carry.

Raiderbeast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a Glock 27. I have a couple other .40 handguns but I always carry the Glock. Being ex military and current LE I get to fire different hand guns and I have always liked the feel and durability of the Glock..

Latest Discussions