Glock Handgun

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey whats up not sure where to put this so I thought why not here, anyways I have a S&W right now but nothing great. I plan on getting my ccw soon and looking to get a Glock now every where I go seems like eather you love them or hate them any reviews? or comments thinking of model 21 or 22

adam
thanks for the help!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might take a look at somewhere like The High Road.

For my two cents, I've had a Glock 21 for years and really like it. IT's flat shooting, easy to care for and feeds everything I've put through it except for some crappy "small-manufacturer" (reloaded and sold) stuff that had about 1 in 6 bad primers. The built-in rail is nice.

The downsides are that it's a big service pistol. The options for concealed carry are somewhat limited. I have large hands and short stubby fingers, so reaching the magazine and slide releases can be a chore. And you'll need a holster which leaves absolutely no doubt about covering the trigger guard. With only a trigger safety externally you have to take Rule #2 "Keep you finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned" very seriously.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like--no, make that love--Glocks too! They're terrific! I have a 26, so it is a bit smaller. Tellner is right, make sure you train thoroughly to keep your finger to out of the trigger guard until you're ready to shoot. (this rule is true with all firearms anyway). A Glock is not a gun to mess around and a very good holster is a necessity.

- Ceicei

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have Glock 17 (full size) and I cannot easily conceal it, so I have a 26 for concealed carry (sub-compact). If your main purpose is to carry concealed, I'd recommend looking at the compact or subcompact models. I think the Glock compact models make a nice compromise between capacity and concealiblity.

If you haven't shot a glock before, I'd recommend going to a range and renting one. I think most peoples problem is that the grip angle is different than many other pistols and may take some time to get used to, also some people don't like the trigger. I like the glocks, they are incredibly reliable and I shoot them well, and I can't ask much more out of a tool than that.

Lamont

edit: PS: we have a sub-forum called "The Firing Range." :D

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got to really like the Glock trigger after a box or two of ammunition. It's the same on every shot. Once you get used to it that little "click" on reset allows you to have a shorter pull if you want one.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey whats up not sure where to put this so I thought why not here, anyways I have a S&W right now but nothing great. I plan on getting my ccw soon and looking to get a Glock now every where I go seems like eather you love them or hate them any reviews? or comments thinking of model 21 or 22

adam
thanks for the help!

What I personally do not like about the Newer Glocks is that they have the finger grips built into the frame.

This is my issue for my hand size. The older glocks without the finger grips and a full size frame are something I migh consider.

Although I did get a good deal on an H&K USP 9mm which did not have the built in finger grips. Yet as many have pointed out the double action / single action trigger is something that some find combersome or irratating or ...

Good Luck

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It takes a bit of sandpaper and some sweat to take the finger grips down, Glocktalk has a bunch of threads of modded grips, heck, its becoming a closet industry. You can hire someone else do it for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Personally, the grips work for me, but I don't have large hands.
see this page on grip mods:
http://www.rosssportinggoods.com/612600.html

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I personally do not like about the Newer Glocks is that they have the finger grips built into the frame.

This is my issue for my hand size. The older glocks without the finger grips and a full size frame are something I migh consider.

Although I did get a good deal on an H&K USP 9mm which did not have the built in finger grips. Yet as many have pointed out the double action / single action trigger is something that some find combersome or irratating or ...

Good Luck
I have a Glock 19 that I've had for a few years now and I love it. I also have other brands but Glock is my gun of choice.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to get a full size cause I have larger hands now the glock sport combat hoster pretty good? looks ok nice price and made by glock

thanks for ur help

adam

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally after shooting Glock's for so long I would probably never consider a differnt model. They are simply awesome! However like any tool there is always someone that they might not work for so
before you buy try and find one that you can test shoot. (if at all
possible) All of course under the watchful eye of an instructor.
(this is what I would do in your position)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I want to get a full size cause I have larger hands now the glock sport combat hoster pretty good? looks ok nice price and made by glock

Is that how you are planning to carry? Outside the Waistband?

The thing about holsters is its all about how YOU carry. Inside? Outside? shoulder holster? Ankle (well not with a fullsize :D)? Appendix? 4:00?

You are going to figure out what works for you for concealment and comfort. For most people it isn't the first holster you buy.... or the second. I will recommend a company because I have good success with their products, and the owner is a hell of a nice guy.
http://www.comp-tac.com/

Lamont

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
------------
Mod. Note

Thread moved to "Firing Range".

-Jonathan Randall
-MT Moderator

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like glocks a lot. I have a 17 and a 19. Because of the weird grip angle, it takes me a while and more than a few rounds to make the transition. And if you are worried about not having an external safety, you can get an aftermarket one installed. I've done that on mine and I love it.

Jeff

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The wife and I both have a Glock 29-we love them out in the field, hiking, biking, or concealed. She also has the Glock 20-she really likes Glocks, and 10mm (because if you have to shoot the bear, you want the bear to lie down)...If you get one, and get used to it, you'll likely enjoy it-they just don't jam, except, as someone said, with cheaper ammo.....I'm not about to make any holster recommendations, though.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carry a 19 off duty and a 23 on...love 'em both. I've had the 19 for two years this month and I've put close to 6,000 rounds through it without a single weapon-related malfunction.

The great thing about Glocks is that the majority of them are 100% reliable right out of the box...you don't have to "tinker" with them. Just buy one, slap a decent set of sights on it, and shoot the hell out of it.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glocks are great if you like them and they fit your hand well. I love my glock 30; it is my favorite carry pistol.

But what will matter is if it fits YOU. So test one out before you buy it! :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must have been under the influence of jet-lag when writing my last post here.

I do not have a 19, but a 22.

Jeff

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

As one of the resident Glockaholics, I may be able to shed some more light on this.

Both guns are full sized pistols. You can certainly use them for CCW, but the problem here, is that you're going to have to be very selective when choosing a holster, since you don't have much margin of error with guns of these sizes.

The model 22 is a full-sized (4.5" barrel) pistol chambered in the .40. It's a great gun, and the most popular choice amongst law enforcement folks these days. You get a 15+1 capacity, and the recoil is actually quite easily managed, since the flexible polymer frame helps soak up much of it. Accuracy is quite good, and I'm glad that they are using a 1 in 9.84" twist.

The model 21 is a full-sized (4.6" barrel) pistol chambered in the .45 ACP. Also a very soft-shooting .45 ACP. The grip thickness, though, is a bit greater than its above cousin, and those with smaller than average sized hands may find it a bit too wide. This is a very accurate gun, and reliable with just about any .45 ACP factory ammo (except for semiwadcutters).

I would actually encourage you to try the midsized models, as well. The Glock 23 has a 4" barrel, a 13+1 capacity, and still handles recoil of the .40 very nicely, as well as being easier to conceal.

Also, don't discount the Glock 19, which is similar to the 23, but chambered in the 9 mm (15+1 capacity).

You may also want to give the subcompacts a whirl (26, 26, 33, 39). If you like the two-fingered grip (as opposed to the standard 3 fingered grip), and don't mind curling the pinky under the magazine baseplate, then these are fantastic guns for CCW.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It takes a bit of sandpaper and some sweat to take the finger grips down, Glocktalk has a bunch of threads of modded grips, heck, its becoming a closet industry. You can hire someone else do it for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Personally, the grips work for me, but I don't have large hands.
see this page on grip mods:
http://www.rosssportinggoods.com/612600.html

I agree that I could modify it.

But why should I pay for it. When I can get a quality gun some place else with out the finger grips and I do not have to modify it by hand or pay someone to do it.

What I want is for Glock to offer the option of the Finger Grips for thsoe who want them. And to offer a Straight Frame for those like me who prefer not to have those grips line up with the middle of my fingers. If I wanted them then I could add their old Add on in the location I wanted to make sure I coudl still have a proper grip.

I stated it is a personal issue. Nothing against the company other than I think they are loosing money for not offering Options or Models to the public. I mean they have the molds and tooling already, they may have had to update the tooling I agree and there for they went with one set for ease of aline flow. But I still think they are loosing an opportunity here.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I stated it is a personal issue. Nothing against the company other than I think they are loosing money for not offering Options or Models to the public. I mean they have the molds and tooling already, they may have had to update the tooling I agree and there for they went with one set for ease of aline flow. But I still think they are loosing an opportunity here.

Actually I agree, I think the new M&P is showing how grip mods are practical on a polymer frame. Maybe on the fifth generation....

Lamont

Latest Discussions