Ginga refresher? (Capoeira)

Didymus

White Belt
Reaction score
New to the forums, hi. I took about a year of capoeira classes, and it really helped my footwork and stability elsewhere in life.

Plenty of videos show the first ginga, but I'm trying to find a video that goes over all 10 basic ginga motions because I've forgotten everything past 4... Being a less popular martial art, the resources are slimmer, and my terminology is top far off to find what I'm looking for.

Does that make any sense to someone?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
New to the forums, hi. I took about a year of capoeira classes, and it really helped my footwork and stability elsewhere in life.

Plenty of videos show the first ginga, but I'm trying to find a video that goes over all 10 basic ginga motions because I've forgotten everything past 4... Being a less popular martial art, the resources are slimmer, and my terminology is top far off to find what I'm looking for.

Does that make any sense to someone?
When I was younger I had dedicated a number of years to obsessively training capoeira, and was a senior student (graduated student) in my school. I do not know what you are referring to. Ginga is a fluid movement used as a functional base. We never referred to 10 basic ginga motions, nor any other such progressive sequence for ginga.

That being said, different schools and different lineages will do ginga differently, from the fundamental ginga all the way to how it is utilized in transitions and in a dynamic roda. So perhaps your school used such a progression in a way that you will not find in other schools.

May I ask, who was your teacher and from what lineage?

OP
D

Didymus

White Belt
Reaction score
1- it was years ago and 2- I have a HORRIBLE memory for names of things. I'm sure I have it VERY wrong.

It may be better explained as looking for a warm up exercise to practice the fundamental different directions you might go during your ginga (apart from actual attacks or counters)

1- basic ginga to the left and right.
2- ginga with an extra side step each way.
3- ginga with a sidestep behind your foot to either change directions or load up for a queixada. (Don't judge me, we never went over spelling!)
4- ginga with a turn.
5- ginga with a sort of advancing negativa... supposed to be a kick evasion but I use it at work all the time to walk under low places where other people have to duck.

... it was a really good warm up, but I explain very badly. Don't have anyone to train with anymore... Just looking for some warm ups to try to maintain my fluidity as I get old and fat.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1- it was years ago and 2- I have a HORRIBLE memory for names of things. I'm sure I have it VERY wrong.

It may be better explained as looking for a warm up exercise to practice the fundamental different directions you might go during your ginga (apart from actual attacks or counters)

1- basic ginga to the left and right.
2- ginga with an extra side step each way.
3- ginga with a sidestep behind your foot to either change directions or load up for a queixada. (Don't judge me, we never went over spelling!)
4- ginga with a turn.
5- ginga with a sort of advancing negativa... supposed to be a kick evasion but I use it at work all the time to walk under low places where other people have to duck.

... it was a really good warm up, but I explain very badly. Don't have anyone to train with anymore... Just looking for some warm ups to try to maintain my fluidity as I get old and fat.
Ok, this just sounds like a basic series of movements put together. Perhaps your school codified these into standardized sequences, but a lot of schools don’t codify it. Usually these things are changed constantly to work on variety.

I don’t think I can help you as we never looked at these as standardized. There are a lot of things you can do, use your imagination to mix it up and come up with new sequences. An Internet forum is not a good venue to try and describe most of this, unfortunately.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can verify that, at least in the Cordao de Ouro lineage, "ginga" just refers to the basic movement. The other movements (moving sidewise, back, forwards, down, etc) are taught, but aren't systematically numbered or considered to be types of ginga.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can verify that, at least in the Cordao de Ouro lineage, "ginga" just refers to the basic movement. The other movements (moving sidewise, back, forwards, down, etc) are taught, but aren't systematically numbered or considered to be types of ginga.
Is that Suassuna’s lineage?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounded familiar. There are/were a couple teachers here in San Francisco from his lineage as well. I’ve been away from capoeira for a bunch of years and no longer have my finger on the pulse of what happens around here, so I don’t know if they might have moved elsewhere.

I was in the ABADA lineage, under Camisa in Rio.

Latest Discussions