GI custom made by seamstress

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is another company that will put a picture on your GI.

I watching a you tube video about a serial killer when this ad popped up! wasn't expecting it. Guess the alogarithm got me!

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another company that will put a picture on your GI.

I watching a you tube video about a serial killer when this ad popped up! wasn't expecting it. Guess the alogarithm got me!
Was he wearing the gi? 😂

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Meh. A uniform does not support your weight like running shoes, so I have a hard time calling that a fair comparison. Can they make a difference on comfort during hard training? To be certain. Do they make you a better fighter? Maybe in the last round when you are gassed.
Except that comfort is the point, so it IS a fair comparison. Brooks are for more comfortable to run in than Sketchers.

Did I claim that a more costly gi makes you a better fighter? Did I claim that more costly shoes will make you a better runner?

I didn't before... but I will make the claim now. If you run in a cheap pair of Sketchers, your feet and ankles are going to be hurting because they don't absorb shock as well as the Brooks. As a result, you're not going to be running as often as you would if you had the Brooks. You buy Brooks, you run more, you become a better runner.

The quality and comfort of the gi that you wear has that same affect on how often you're gonna show up to train, and having tried out many different gis, I know this to be true myself.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@opr1945, you’ve become such an expert on keikogi, you should start a business selling them to accommodate those who are unusually built, want a particular weight or design. You don’t have to make them, just make your descriptions of them clearer than anyone else’s:
lightweight = like a denim dress shirt,
heavyweight = like a flexible tarpaulin,
medium weight = somewhere in between the other two a bit like a denim shirt.

A 10% shrinkage is virtually meaningless to me so how about ‘buy sleeves that go just beyond your wrists and just rest on the heel and they will shrink to just above you wrists…’ or whatever.

I’m sure such a venture would make you…oh…tens of dollars.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Got a favorite design?
You can have any picture that you want put on the lining of the GI.
Are you training BJJ now too? At first, I was looking at the designs when I was shopping around, but then I decided to go plain and add my own flair. You can do that in BJJ.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I could never wear cheap Gis. We trained for a living, long days and nights. Cheap gis would be ripped apart in short order. Some of them contain polyester as well. Uncomfortable and smelly within a couple months.

Heavy canvas Gis for us. Some custom made by a friend of ours. If it wasn’t going to last five to ten years, not interested. Not even a little bit.

Surely a coincidence.. I competed for twenty five years. I’ve lost more matches than most folks have seen. But I never once lost to someone wearing a cheap Gi.
You knew if they were wearing junk they were going to fight like junk.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could never wear cheap Gis. We trained for a living, long days and nights. Cheap gis would be ripped apart in short order. Some of them contain polyester as well. Uncomfortable and smelly within a couple months.

Heavy canvas Gis for us. Some custom made by a friend of ours. If it wasn’t going to last five to ten years, not interested. Not even a little bit.

Surely a coincidence.. I competed for twenty five years. I’ve lost more matches than most folks have seen. But I never once lost to someone wearing a cheap Gi.
What do you consider cheap?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here we go........
I wore the Stars and Stripes one for years. Back in the day if you bought one you had to order way bigger than your size and wash it dozens of times and put it in the dryer each time.

That particular gi was the slowest shrinking gi I’ve ever seen. But it sure did shrink.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you consider cheap?
We didn’t think in terms of cost, we either got our gis wholesale or custom made for us by a professional seamstress. (The wife of one of my Instructors.)

When I say cheap, I mean junk material. Stuff that if you really rock and rolled with, or grappled a lot with, would rip or fall apart in no time. Junk.

I always wore cheap clothes and drove used junk boxes. My gis had more miles on them than any of my cars.

I’ve spoken on MT before how lucky I was, right time and right place kind of deal. A Chinese Laundry opened right near my dojo. Really nice family, real nice kids. Opening a new business is tough. So…

I go in there the first week they’re open. I have eight heavyweight gis and all my laundry. I pick it up two days later. The clothes are wrapped in two parcels of brown paper bound with string. I go back to the dojo to put my gis away. My, God, they looked like they were folded by a machine. So exact, so neat, so perfect. And it was really inexpensive.

I go back the next week and ask him if I can start sending my guys there. He says “of course.”
I tell him “But you’re going to have a ton of those heavy Martial Arts gis, and they must be a pain in the neck to deal with.”
He says “just come.”

Within two weeks thirty of my guys are dropping of gis and laundry. And every single thing came back perfect.

We tipped that guy more than he charged us. And it was worth every cent. And it extended the life of our gis.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dangerous I know, I assume light easily torn in todays world would be 6 and 7 oz GI's. Heavy grappleing weights would be 14 to 16 oz GI's. Then 10-12 oz GI's would be mid weight GI's. That leave some grey area that I have no idea about. (From what I read GI's made from Japanese cotton are not rate in ounces but numbers which are completely meaning less to me.

If someone could fill in the at I would appreciate it very much. It is possible that many of you already know this stuff. Thanks.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

Oh, how I Hate the feel and smell of polyester in any kind of clothing.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dangerous I know, I assume light easily torn in todays world would be 6 and 7 oz GI's. Heavy grappleing weights would be 14 to 16 oz GI's. Then 10-12 oz GI's would be mid weight GI's. That leave some grey area that I have no idea about. (From what I read GI's made from Japanese cotton are not rate in ounces but numbers which are completely meaning less to me.

If someone could fill in the at I would appreciate it very much. It is possible that many of you already know this stuff. Thanks.
Thread count?

Latest Discussions