Getting up close and personal...with a waterfall?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feedback appreciated :)

All shot in RAW.

This is Franconia Falls, White Mountain National Forest (Lincoln, NH)

Attachments

• $IMG_0312-2.jpg
    $IMG_0312-2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 231
  • $IMG_0294.jpg
    $IMG_0294.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 241
  • $IMG_0318.jpg
    $IMG_0318.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 229

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous. There is something so beautiful about being beside a river.

or sitting down beside a little babbling brook. (which is really a very tiny little river. lol.)

I think I told you, that I think, that you take very pretty pics, Carol. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, I could hear the water hitting the rocks. Great pics.
icon7.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They are great; I have not been there in a very very long time.

Have you been to Frankenstein Cliffs yet? Not as impressive but it is mighty cool (in more ways than one) if memory serves.

The absolute coldest water I have ever been in (Including the Atlantic off of Cape Cod) was the pool at the bottom of the falls there. There was no pleasant feeling, no numb just STRAIGHT to excruciating pain. Pretty to look at but I would not jump into it ever again.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GREAT shots Carol!!! The scenery reminds me so much of where we lived in Tennessee. Really beautiful!

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are great; I have not been there in a very very long time.

Have you been to Frankenstein Cliffs yet? Not as impressive but it is mighty cool (in more ways than one) if memory serves.

The absolute coldest water I have ever been in (Including the Atlantic off of Cape Cod) was the pool at the bottom of the falls there. There was no pleasant feeling, no numb just STRAIGHT to excruciating pain. Pretty to look at but I would not jump into it ever again.

I haven't been to Frankenstein Cliffs! I definitely would like to go there...I'm trying to hit a lot of waterfalls now that it is the spring and the water level is high. Boy, I believe you when you say the water is extremely cold. We've had record high temps here...it was over 80 degrees when I took the photos but I was in a sweatshirt. The wind would blow off the Pemigewasset River and make it feel a lot colder than it was.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't been to Frankenstein Cliffs! I definitely would like to go there...I'm trying to hit a lot of waterfalls now that it is the spring and the water level is high. Boy, I believe you when you say the water is extremely cold. We've had record high temps here...it was over 80 degrees when I took the photos but I was in a sweatshirt. The wind would blow off the Pemigewasset River and make it feel a lot colder than it was.

So there was no skinny dipping?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As an avid hiker and one who has been in deep wilderness country those are indeed beautiful shots and beautiful locations. I try to get out into areas similar to the pictures you've taken (if not exactly the same locale :) ).
The work is very good and shows talent. 'tup!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great pics Carol! Looks so peaceful and relaxing. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So there was no skinny dipping?

Est si la classe sous-prolétariat.

Spoken like someone who has never helped his girl in to, or out of, a wetsuit, or warmed her up after a cold open-water swim. For shame, Ken. :p

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Another great place for pictures use to be the Baby Flumes (not to be confused with the Flumes), but in the spring it may be closed due to the size the river gets to due to snow melt.

Not so much in the way of waterfalls but the river is fast moving and going at a rather steep angle and it is pretty cool at how much the water has cut the rocks and... you are on the rocks... not walkways, or at least you use to be 20 years ago... could be different now

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another great place for pictures use to be the Baby Flumes (not to be confused with the Flumes), but in the spring it may be closed due to the size the river gets to due to snow melt.

Not so much in the way of waterfalls but the river is fast moving and going at a rather steep angle and it is pretty cool at how much the water has cut the rocks and... you are on the rocks... not walkways, or at least you use to be 20 years ago... could be different now

That's going to be my next trip! I want to follow the Cascades Trail along the Pemigewasset River and use all 8 gig of free space on my SD card :D

Its the same waterway. The Franconia Falls is the Franconia Brook just before it feeds in to the Pemigewasset. I caught pix further up the Pemigewasset of The Basin and the Kinsman Falls...I need to process those and put them online. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Waterfalls are notoriously difficult to photograph. They have extreme dynamic range (very white water foam and very dark brush and banks, etc).

I would give some thought to using flash - yes, flash. In your examples above, a powerful flash would give you some illumination of the overhanging foreground, which could help open up those shadows. Just a thought.

I would also consider playing with your shutter speed. A common trick with flowing water is to use a longer shutter speed to give a different appearance to the flowing water - more of a feeling of movement.

http://digital-photography-school.com/waterfall-digital-photography

If you're shooting from a tripod (and you should), you can also experiment with HDR to take multiple shots at different exposures and bring the results together so that the true dynamic range of the photograph is captured.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/qualityhdr/discuss/72157608585361683/

http://www.blaize.net/2010/02/how-to-shoot-hdr-waterfalls/

There are also a lot of waterfall fans out there who have compiled lists of waterfalls in your area, along with ratings, directions, etc...

http://www.world-waterfalls.com/

Here are a couple of mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/2029050188/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/3123420072/

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, thank you so much for the constructive feedback. I was hoping someone knoweldgeable could provide some technical pointers :) :)

Waterfalls are notoriously difficult to photograph. They have extreme dynamic range (very white water foam and very dark brush and banks, etc).

And the water spray...and the angles! Oh my gosh I didn't realize how difficult a real waterfall was to photograph until I tried to capture one with my lens....and not slip on wet granite. I also...uh...learned the hard way about the importance of keeping lens cloths on board. :eek:

I would give some thought to using flash - yes, flash. In your examples above, a powerful flash would give you some illumination of the overhanging foreground, which could help open up those shadows. Just a thought.

An excellent thought. I wasn't really happy with the way some of these shots came out...where I was standing in the shade and photographing the subject in full daylight. Methinks it will take a more powerful flash than what I have, but that's a great thought...especially where the tree canopy will be in before too long. Or so I hear. ;)

I would also consider playing with your shutter speed. A common trick with flowing water is to use a longer shutter speed to give a different appearance to the flowing water - more of a feeling of movement.

http://digital-photography-school.com/waterfall-digital-photography

Thank you!! Some of my shots just looked like a white blob, it was the very short shutter speed that actually captured something that looked like a waterfall. I'lL try a longer speed next time. :)

If you're shooting from a tripod (and you should), you can also experiment with HDR to take multiple shots at different exposures and bring the results together so that the true dynamic range of the photograph is captured.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/qualityhdr/discuss/72157608585361683/

http://www.blaize.net/2010/02/how-to-shoot-hdr-waterfalls/

*plugs ears* Don't say the word tripod!!! :lol:

Now now that I have my shiny new SLR, I bought a tripod to go with it. The falls are 3.5 miles in. My pack, between clothing layers, bottles of water, my lunch, the SLR (which is so much heavier than my G10!!), and the tripod was about 15 pounds. This is probably something you strong guys can do lying down....I got 2-2.25 miles in, I was already sunburned, running out of water, and cursing myself for packing so much. I had to turn back. Made it to the falls on my 2nd attempt, but that was with more water, less clothing, less food, and no tripod. I don't think packing a tripod on a hike is going to work unless I can put on a lot more muscle :( I should be able to use them for the falls that don't require a lot of hiking though.

There are also a lot of waterfall fans out there who have compiled lists of waterfalls in your area, along with ratings, directions, etc...

http://www.world-waterfalls.com/

Ooohhh more waterfalls! That will keep me busy for some time :D

Those took my breath away. Absolutely stunning. I really love your work, in fact it was your collections up on Flickr that inspired me to spring for an SLR and try to expand what I can do with my own creations. :asian:

Damn expensive hobby isn't it?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those took my breath away. Absolutely stunning. I really love your work, in fact it was your collections up on Flickr that inspired me to spring for an SLR and try to expand what I can do with my own creations. :asian:

Thank you so much for the kind words! :asian: I classify myself as an enthusiast, no expert.

What photography does for me is hard to explain. I love to make photographs, but even more, I love that having a camera gives me 'permission' to stick my nose where it otherwise would not belong. It makes me a Public Eye, a historian, a busybody, and give me time to be internal - just me and whatever it is I'm checking out; from parades to waterfalls.

Damn expensive hobby isn't it?

It can be! I am cheap, though. I tend to buy on eBay and look for older used gear. I lust after the great fast lenses and such, but in reality, I can do just as well with older technology. One of the reasons I went with Pentax was so that I could take advantage of the older manual focus lenses of yesteryear; much cheaper than modern lenses, and still quite good.

I've also been fortunate to have sold a few images that I placed on Flickr. Just having them there and using lots of 'tags' allowed people to find my photos and approach me about licensing or buying them. I've paid for some of my camera equipment with that money!

And it's not as if an SLR and expensive equipment were required for every shot. I sold one photo of a coal-mining company town in WV that I took while driving home to NC from MI with a cheap Kodak pocket digicam that I paid $50 for. It went into a text book and was also sold for an environmental online website. Sometimes, you just get lucky with a shot that others find useful, and the equipment itself is secondary.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carol... Instead of a tripod, try a monopod. There are several hiking sticks/canes designed to serve as a monopod by putting an appropriate threaded rod under the cap at the top of the stick. HERE is a cheap example; there's quite a price range. You can also find a small tripod that you could then set up on a convenient rock, tree stump, etc.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the kind words! :asian: I classify myself as an enthusiast, no expert.

What photography does for me is hard to explain. I love to make photographs, but even more, I love that having a camera gives me 'permission' to stick my nose where it otherwise would not belong. It makes me a Public Eye, a historian, a busybody, and give me time to be internal - just me and whatever it is I'm checking out; from parades to waterfalls.

In my eyes you are outstanding :) :)

That is interesting very interesting. I especially like the historian aspect of it. You have a wonderful eye for capturing an event. When you recently started posting here, I noticed that one of your photo collections was of audio equipment. I was an audio engineering at Berklee, so naturally that caught my attention immediately. :D Walking through your photos, I felt like I was there experiencing it myself.

There are times when I am out and about and something strikes me as a story that needs to be told...whether its the landscape of the hiking trail or something more serious. I'm working on a project right now chronicling some of the images of rural NC, where I have some relatives. The disparity of lifestyles alone makes a very stunning statement.

The other element is that I have a strong creative streak in me, one that hsan't really had much of an outlet....esp. where I am not playing music very much anymore. Photography seems to satisfy that, as well as being something that I can more easily share with other people.

Its also a great motivator to exercise! I love to capture landscapes (water in particular) and a lot of what I like to photograph requires a good amount of walking/hiking. I'm a lot more motivated to get my butt in gear and tough my way through a challenging hike when I know I'll have some nice photos at the end of the journey. :)

It can be! I am cheap, though. I tend to buy on eBay and look for older used gear. I lust after the great fast lenses and such, but in reality, I can do just as well with older technology. One of the reasons I went with Pentax was so that I could take advantage of the older manual focus lenses of yesteryear; much cheaper than modern lenses, and still quite good.

That is a great idea. I have to admit, I have not been the easiest on my cameras...combination of having coordination that is not the best, and photographing in locations that are a bit more harsh. I know some folks give Best Buy a ration of trash, mine has been great when I have brought my G10 in on a "messed up fixit pls" visit ;)

I've also been fortunate to have sold a few images that I placed on Flickr. Just having them there and using lots of 'tags' allowed people to find my photos and approach me about licensing or buying them. I've paid for some of my camera equipment with that money

I was wondering about whether that was possible! I'll have to try the same as I get my collections in order :D

And it's not as if an SLR and expensive equipment were required for every shot. I sold one photo of a coal-mining company town in WV that I took while driving home to NC from MI with a cheap Kodak pocket digicam that I paid $50 for. It went into a text book and was also sold for an environmental online website. Sometimes, you just get lucky with a shot that others find useful, and the equipment itself is secondary.

This was my "damn I wish I had my real camera" moment :D I was driving by a nature preserve at sunrise, but all I had was my blackberry. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40611453@N02/4326501769/

Latest Discussions