Getting the most out of free sparring.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts about free sparring:
When free sparring you should always try to use the techniques of your fighting system even if it means that you'll get punched in the face a couple of times before you get the application of the technique correct. The punches shouldn't cause injury as long as the punches are controlled and not at full power. If you record yourself and you don't see any of your martial art techniques from the fighting system, then that means you are doing free sparring training wrong.

I've been hit plenty of times in the face when learning how to apply a technique during free sparring. The hit to the face lets me know that I'm doing something wrong, need to make adjustments, or just simply using the wrong technique against the wrong attack or defense.

This is a video of me light sparring with my classmate. I included a normal speed and a slow motion version so that the application of the technique could be seen.

First video:
Technique used: Kup Choi. I look awkward because I didn't complete the punch. I had to pull all of the power since he didn't see it coming. The idea is to sink my body weight into this punch. In the video you can see him react to me lifting my leg and assuming that I was going to kick. If you look up Kup Choi you will see it used in forms as well.

Second video:
Techniques used: Series of pow choi, luk choi, and kup choi punches. The three basic punches. As you can see he had a really difficult time keeping up with the punches at less than half speed. Around 0:45 you can see the actually application of how the punches would interfere with any punches coming at me. If you look at any Jow Ga empty hand form, you'll see one or all of these punches in the form.

In my opinion this is the only way to learn how to use martial art techniques, especially kung fu techniques.

Don't let your kung fu be like the video below. If you don't have it in your forms then it shouldn't be in your sparring

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't see your videos, except the last one. When we free spar, we may use basically any safe technique (no blind techniques, etc) but we don't use typical point sparring techniques like the leaping in the air and touching the opponent's head I saw in the video. Nothing against point sparring but we don't do it in the dojo. Just techniques that would stop an assailant.

KFMo01

White Belt
Reaction score
I can only see the last video as well.

I completely agree, one should use their style when sparring and in real combat. I am constantly asking myself how applicable new moves I learn would be in a real confrontation.

I am not familiar with your style at all. I appreciate how you do not move back when your opponent strikes and that each time you strike you deliver multiple blows. Why do you guys bounce around so much? Is this preferred over moving only when necessary? Why?

Thank you for sharing, I like how you are critical of your self and do what it takes to learn an application of a move.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't see the reason of such point sparring. Why stop the exchange. So much of what the practitioner does in terms of movement and attacking is to prevent or to get a touch vs good defense and attacking for effect. Why not do continuous sparring as in a real confrontation where a strike from out of the proper range or a glancing blow would be ineffective?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's the direct link. I'm not sure why it's not showing. I may have to put it on one of my websites
I renamed the file. Try this link
http://www.forwebspace.com/tempvideo/kungfu.mp4

Why do you guys bounce around so much? Is this preferred over moving only when necessary? Why?
That's not a video of my school or fighting system. The video of my school is in the link that you weren't able to see. I went back to rename it to see if it made a difference. Let me know if you can still can't see it and I'll put it on one of my websites.

Thanks. I enjoy sharing my flaws mainly because so many people in the martial arts world tries to hide their flaws.

As for Jow Ga kung fu. The system isn't bouncy. Bouncy = no root. No root = me getting excited about sweeping a bouncy person.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really don't see the reason of such point sparring. Why stop the exchange. So much of what the practitioner does in terms of movement and attacking is to prevent or to get a touch vs good defense and attacking for effect. Why not do continuous sparring as in a real confrontation where a strike from out of the proper range or a glancing blow would be ineffective?
I feel the same way. Continuous sparring is better than the point sparring which has become more of an advance game of tag.

In sparring or even in a real fight situation, I'm always happy to to absorb a weak strike or a strike that glances if it means that I can deliver one that's solid and powerful. Point sparring trains bad habits, mainly all of the bouncing that occurs and the "one hit and I'm done" mentality.

KFMo01

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Your video is sweet! I can relate that to my own style more. It's different but we have some similarities, like how smooth your transition from parrying to striking to striking with the opposite hand and so on back and forth is. (well I'm going to have to watch your video again, it seems as if your hand strikes are simultaneously parrying your opponents strike and it would not matter if they were striking you or not, you would still execute the move the same either way. So I'm not sure if it would be called a parry.) I applaud how your footwork blends well with you hand movements and you are not stuck on a linear path going back and forth. I am going to have to watch this a few more times.
I was relieved to see that you don't bounce. Lol, I would still like to ask someone who does bounce why they do it.

Last edited:

KFMo01

White Belt
Reaction score
Point sparring trains bad habits, mainly all of the bouncing that occurs and the "one hit and I'm done" mentality.
To think I was hoping someone could explain the logic behind bouncing. I have seen people do this during a street fight though. I wonder why.

KFMo01

White Belt
Reaction score
I have seen people in real fights do this to. Not as bad though. It's like they would hit, pause bounce while walking around hit. Pretty pathetic really. Except no one really wants a street fight to be good. It's always better if the two nit wits exchanged a couple of blows and got over it without anyone really getting hurt.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to have to watch your video again, it seems as if your hand strikes are simultaneously parrying your opponents strike and it would not matter if they were striking you or not, you would still execute the move the same either way.
Very good eyes. You saw this correctly. Our punches perform the function of parry and attack simultaneously. The only times one would have a problem with the punches is if the person "bails out" of the technique which is easy to do, because from the attacking perspective it seems that someone could easily punch me in my face.

I don't know why TKD bounces around so much, the bouncing isn't in their forms. I think people who do it in street fights are probably trying to get into the other person's head by moving as if they can fight. They see other people doing in sparring competitions and copy that. Or it could be an influence from watching too many Bruce Lee movies. The bouncing wastes energy.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Other tips that will help get the most out of sparring is not to be afraid to make mistakes. Sparring is the best time to make mistakes that you can learn from because your partner isn't trying to knock your head off (shouldn't be trying to knock your head off). It's the only real time anyone can afford to make a mistake since it's controlled and the amount of power to be used can be predetermined and agreed upon. Some of my most meaning full lessons were from me making mistakes and getting punched in the face.

Don't worry about feeling awkward with using techniques from your forms. That awkwardness is normal and it usually indicates that you aren't using the technique correctly or that the timing for using the technique is off. If one technique feels awkward then try another technique in that scenario. If the technique feels natural and it works well during sparring then it means you have a good understanding of how to use it. In my case the techniques that feel awkward when I spar the ones that I'm using incorrectly. I don't try to force the techniques.

Video tape your sparring sessions as well. Watching a video gives you a chance to review everything about yourself and your opponent. It also helps you to see missed opportunities for attacks and techniques. You'll discover that you'll fight smarter when you are made aware of opportunities.

Be honest with yourself. I'll be the first to admit that I have a big ego when it comes to Jow Ga. I feel it's the best in the world which is fine because I train in Jow Ga. However, I have bring myself back to reality when I spar and when I look at my videos. I can't afford to have an ego that causes me to miss my own weaknesses. I also can't have my ego so big where I can't learn something about my style by viewing other people's styles. I always have to be able to admit that I'm not good at something and understand that I'm willing to work hard in order to get better at it.

Use sparring to focus on developing your ability to use techniques and not to win.

Ask your opponent for feedback. They will be more than happy to tell you how they were able to hit you with kicks and punches. They won't mind sharing with you what they see as weaknesses. Remember not to take it personal if it sounds bad to your ears. Take the feedback with an open mind. Check the video recording and see if what you were told was accurate.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't see your videos, except the last one. When we free spar, we may use basically any safe technique (no blind techniques, etc) but we don't use typical point sparring techniques like the leaping in the air and touching the opponent's head I saw in the video. Nothing against point sparring but we don't do it in the dojo. Just techniques that would stop an assailant.
\
I thought Ja Gow's demo vid, #1 -- the one I could see, illustrated perfectly how he is using sparring to effect & improve technique, and secondly, how to execute a specific kung fu tactic & technique against a clever striker (boxer).:)
\
On your end, I'm not a big fan of point sparring either.... But the value of point sparring is real, for all the reasons Ja Gow specifies.... Of course, people just out for fun can make a complete joke out of point sparring.... I don't see Ja Gow doing recreational kung fu,,, he's really training to learn....:bookworm:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
\
I thought Ja Gow's demo vid, #1 -- the one I could see, illustrated perfectly how he is using sparring to effect & improve technique, and secondly, how to execute a specific kung fu tactic & technique against a clever striker (boxer).:)
\
On your end, I'm not a big fan of point sparring either.... But the value of point sparring is real, for all the reasons Ja Gow specifies.... Of course, people just out for fun can make a complete joke out of point sparring.... I don't see Ja Gow doing recreational kung fu,,, he's really training to learn....:bookworm:

I didn't say I didn't enjoy point sparring. Nothing wrong with it. We just don't do it in our dojo, that's all.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
\
I missed any mistake? I saw solid execution....
My Sifu said that my big punches are too slow. I haven't learned how to separate the speed from the power of those big punches. My sifu wants me to focus on delivering speed without power. Students take 3 different approaches to forms training. 1st do a form only focusing on technique 2nd do a form only focusing on power 3rd. do a form only focusing on speed. I have trouble with the 3rd. When I add speed it comes with power and I need to learn how to separate the power from the speed.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:coldfeet:
I didn't say I didn't enjoy point sparring. Nothing wrong with it. We just don't do it in our dojo, that's all.
\
I avoid all free sparring a much as possible... I enjoy free sparring when I'm measuring the strength of the TMA base I'm developing.... Other than that, I think free sparring is largely counter-productive, exception allowed for belt-rank tests.... and certain reality testing venues....
\
So we share some commonality I suppose....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu said that my big punches are too slow. I haven't learned how to separate the speed from the power of those big punches. My sifu wants me to focus on delivering speed without power. Students take 3 different approaches to forms training. 1st do a form only focusing on technique 2nd do a form only focusing on power 3rd. do a form only focusing on speed. I have trouble with the 3rd. When I add speed it comes with power and I need to learn how to separate the power from the speed.
\
Ja Gow, this is puzzling to me, though I suspect your Sifu is after some manner of control (read mental discipline). Since my base builds from the inside out... the mind directs consciously speed, power, trajectory, technique selection, alteration, change,,, a whole host of physical movement execution(s).... speed up, stop, slow, than fast, fast then slow.... tension, relaxation, expansion/ compression, KIME in all its dimensions....this kind of mental discipline is best bestowed by kata... forms.... but it starts @ kihon (basics).
\
Pretty good for a shoto-noob.... :cool: -- the gamut physical actions under the mantle of mental discipline lie on a continuum to be dialed up or down.... by the conscious mind overseeing all of such....
\
Free sparring concentration is the root of your problem..... good luck.... And by the way.... your difficulty is a high class problem... nice, very nice job in your last boxing brother demo....:)

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
\
More on this 'problem.' Based on what you have explained & illustrated & demonstrated very well about your CMA philosophy re the actual sparring.... I would recommend that you NOT try to separate speed from power,,,,, doing so it counter to the principles of how you have elected to train, IMO..... And I think your Sifu is being disingenuous to suggest that you do so....o_O

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Students take 3 different approaches to forms training. 1st do a form only focusing on technique 2nd do a form only focusing on power 3rd. do a form only focusing on speed. I have trouble with the 3rd.
\
Truth be told, the variation your Sifu speaks of begins with basic.... people don't appreciate the worth of basic, practicing same.... forms are super complicated and on another plane altogether from basics....
\
But I will speak to the point of how to approach forms training the productive, right way (IMHO). The instructor does a decent job @ the techniques. He glosses over, however, critically important components.... greatly weakening the value of the practice (mentally) This is Hyung Il Bu... counterpart to Taikyoku Shodan
\
Here's the correct stages to learning the form - and I don't adhere to what your Sifu says, strictly speaking...
\
1. Memorize the steps & physically walk through them....
\
2. Attempt to do the form at the pace & mental intensity demonstrated by Tang Soo Instructor, Dustin Sparks...
\
3. Recycle, Step 1. then Step 2., continuing on iteratively....
|
In general descriptive terms, that's it.... What's going on in these iterations is massively deep & sophisticated.... yes in 'kiddy' hyung, Hyung Il Bu.:eek::eek::eek:
\
Post note: Boxing brother kills weak karate....:hurting:

Last edited:

Latest Discussions