Master of Arts
Reaction score
詠春 vs 永春

yǒng chūn
literally: "spring chant",
[also romanized as Ving Tsun or Wing Tsun in Ip Man lineages]

Or
永春 Literally: "eternal springtime"

So anyone wanna venture opinion as to what is going on here?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll take a crack at it: As the legend goes, isn't yǒng chūn the name of the founder, and if so, looking for a connection between the name and the art might be a bit of a mug's game? Alternately, if the founder were legendary, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine someone's coming up with those characters (or words) to create a female master.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yim Wing Chun is the figurehead/legendary founder of Wing Chun Kuen. Her name was spelled with the characters for Eternal Spring. According to legend ...

There's a village in Fujian named Yong Chun where the White Crane practiced there has a striking resemblance to Wing Chun but isn't what most consider "Wing Chun".

Look at Hong Quan ... Flood Boxing, Red Boxing, Hero Boxing and also the family name for Hung Hei Goon, legendary founder of Kung Kuen/Hung Ga ... Hong Quan. All correct & all use different characters.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I always jokingly referred to Cantonese as "Devil Language"... but these days, I'd be hard pressed to actually figure out which one is "Devil Language"

Fujian Hakka?

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nope...I am only referring to Mandarin and Cantonese...... Fujian Hakka is just unintelligible to anyone who does not speak Fujian Hakka...so I have no way of knowing if it qualifies as Devil language or not
Only devils understand devils. Lol. I suspect that every one views some other group as thier devil and their own group as angels etc.

However, I see within humanity as a whole greatness and falleness. Strength and weaknesses. Courage and cowardice. And I find the only real enemy is myself. And only the hero within me can defeat the villain inside me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Only devils understand devils. Lol. I suspect that every one views some other group as thier devil and their own group as angels etc.

However, I see within humanity as a whole greatness and falleness. Strength and weaknesses. Courage and cowardice. And I find the only real enemy is myself. And only the hero within me can defeat the villain inside me.

Nah, it had a lot more to do with clfsean and myself bustin' on each other... but Fujian is still pretty much unintelligible to anyone out side of Fujian

Latest Discussions