Getting knocked up is a court martial offense.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am of multiple minds about this 1. If you are in the Military and scheduled to deploy then you should not start a family or become pregnant. 2. I don't like a Government entity to decide what I should or should not do with my organs, reproductive ones included. 3. Becoming pregnant and missing your deployment means that someone else goes in your place. 4. If you are in the Military then you should have the understanding that deployment is a part of the package and you should keep your-self in a ready state at all times.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am of multiple minds about this 1. If you are in the Military and scheduled to deploy then you should not start a family or become pregnant. 2. I don't like a Government entity to decide what I should or should not do with my organs, reproductive ones included. 3. Becoming pregnant and missing your deployment means that someone else goes in your place. 4. If you are in the Military then you should have the understanding that deployment is a part of the package and you should keep your-self in a ready state at all times.

For those who are "nobody's gonna tell me what to do" types, the military is the worst career choice to make. They tell you what you will do with a great deal of your body, including when and how you workout and whether or not your wisdom teeth come out. (FYI: yes, they will). Like they say: give your soul to Jesus, because your *** belongs to Uncle Sam.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feels a lot better than shooting yourself in the foot.

ROFLMAO...

Non-military people don't understand that once you sign that paper you're no longer a "citizen" per se. Your butt belongs to Uncle Sam and everything you do is subject to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice.)

It's a different world, and has to be due to it's nature.

As stated, if you have issues with being told what to do and how to do it.. the military ain't for you. Though I think many could benefit from learning how to be a little more disciplined IMHO.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are one of those "you cant tell me what to do..you are not the boss of me" types here is a piece of advice.

Stay out of the military.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This reminds me of this thread. I pretty much stand by my comments from that thread. IMO, if you want to get pregnant, be sure that you dont do what that girl did. Have backup plans in place. Should you be able to do what you want, as far as the 'dont tell me what to do' thing goes....well, as its been said, you're in the service now, so while I not, nor have I ever been, it seems that they can pretty much dictate what you can/cant do. Knowing that you're in the service, knowing that you could have to deploy at a moments notice, starting a family probably isn't the best thing to do. Again, if you do have a family or want to start one, be prepared with plan a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j and k. :)

*off topic* Then again, there are many people out there that pump out kid after kid after kid after kid, totally unable to care for all of them, so that responsibility falls of the rest of the world, ie: welfare, so in a way, it would be nice if it was possible to force people to get off their *** and get a job.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In an e-mail to CNN, Cucolo stressed the rule "is just a small part of a general policy on behavior and actions," and is "lawful."
The memo outlines a long list of behaviors that are prohibited, from gambling and using drugs to behaviors that would offend Iraqis, such as entering a mosque or religious site unless "required by military necessity."

Well, I guess they did an OK job of not sounding too negative here, but they did manage to leave out a MAJOR important piece of information. I love the media.

Initially we were under General Order No 1a (for this war at least), and that was ammended in 2006 and again in 2007 to GO1B. See full text here: http://www.bagram.afcent.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-080614-004.pdf

All that Gen Cucolo is doing is associating a specific policy and punishment with a rule that already exists. While the text of GO1B does not explicitly state that sexual conduct is prohibited, it does state that you may not enter the room of a member of the opposite gender. There are many bases that also specifically prohibit sexual contact, although that is down to the installation commander I believe. Generally sexual contact is considered a part of GO1B, due to commander's intent. The not entering the room of a person of the opposite Gender is intended to prevent sexual activity. Of course, this has led to sex in conexes, on cots behind the dorms, etc. All for which you would have already been punished if caught. Now there is just a more strict punitive policy against actually getting or making someone pregnant.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's in the article. Pregnancies through Sexual assaults won't be punished.

I was thinking more that it'd be useful for flushing the scum that do that sort of thing rather than it'd be used for punishing the victim.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
General Wesley Clark (retired) was on Sirius Left radio this morning, and he basically said the same thing that KellyG's post said: When you join the armed forces, you accept the reality of deployment. Pregnant women are generally not considered deployable. So if you get pregnant while deployed, or to avoid deployment, you're essentially reneging on the commitment you made when you enlisted.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
U.S. military drops ban on soldiers getting pregnant

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/12/25/iraq.us.soldiers.pregnant/index.html
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Updated policy no longer includes "pregnancy provision," military spokesman says
  • Revoked order made getting pregnant, impregnating fellow soldier an offense
  • Rule affected 22,000 troops under general's command in northern Iraq
  • General said he was taking "every measure to preserve my combat power"

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another example of how the military is no longer allowed to be the military. Sad, really.

Latest Discussions