Getting in touch with old teachers

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What has your experience been in getting back in touch with old teachers?

I have heard stories where teachers will greet past students as if they are long lost family and I have teachers not even bothering looking at them.

I guess it depends on how you leave the school and the temperament of the teacher.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's mostly a matter of the circumstances under which you left. If you left because you moved to the other side of the country, they'll probably be pretty happy to see you again. On the other hand, if you left because you were caught selling crack at the local elementary school, you might not get such a warm welcome. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's mostly a matter of the circumstances under which you left. If you left because you moved to the other side of the country, they'll probably be pretty happy to see you again. On the other hand, if you left because you were caught selling crack at the local elementary school, you might not get such a warm welcome. :)

Sounds about right. I left Jhoon Rhee's school about 1965, and saw him again when he opened a new school in the area I had just moved to in 1987. He didn't remember me (no surprise), but was most congeneal. I never really left my Hapkido teacher. I wasn't able to continue studying with him since he wasn't in the same area as I. But we kept in touch and I would visit with him when he was in the area to visit with his family.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What has your experience been in getting back in touch with old teachers?

I have heard stories where teachers will greet past students as if they are long lost family and I have teachers not even bothering looking at them.

I guess it depends on how you leave the school and the temperament of the teacher.

yup, I think that you answered your own question! :0) I still keep in touch with my old teacher from 20 years ago and to me he will always be my teacher ( and friend ).

Latest Discussions