Calling all YMCA/Community center Practitioners/Teachers..

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am curious to find out what other YMCA's charge for Martial Art's classes around the country. I am also curious about community centers. I would like to know the following information.

How often does your class meet?
How long are classes?
Do adults and children train together?
Do they charge by session, month, or not at all??
If you are an instructor, do you get paid, are there any other instructors??
How many students are in your class??
Also a General Location of the YMCA if you care to share.

Thank You for your input.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am curious to find out what other YMCA's charge for Martial Art's classes around the country. I am also curious about community centers. I would like to know the following information.

How often does your class meet? - Twice a week - Monday/Wednesday
How long are classes? - An hour in the summer due to budget issues, longer in the fall/winter
Do adults and children train together? - Yep
Do they charge by session, month, or not at all?? - Nothing
If you are an instructor, do you get paid, are there any other instructors?? - Nothing
How many students are in your class?? - A handful
Also a General Location of the YMCA if you care to share. - Marietta, Ga

Answers in RED

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am aware of this one, but do not participate in it:

http://bushidojo.net/Dojo/Schedule.aspx

It is held at the Warren Community Center, in Warren, Michigan.

Youth Lessons: ages 4-12
Warren Community Center (14wks)
$45 Beginners $50 Advanced $10 Non-resident fee
Discount - 2nd person receives $10 off, 3rd person receives 1/2 off
Section Day/Time Begins
A: Beginner Saturday 10-11 a.m. September 10th
A: Advanced Saturday 11 a.m. - 12:30 a.m. September 10th
Monday 6-7 p.m. September 12th
Adult Lessons: ages 13 and up
Warren Community Center (14wks)
$55 per person $10 Non-resident fee
Section Day/Time Begins
A: Beginner Monday 7-9 p.m. September 12th
A: Advanced Monday 7-9 p.m.
Saturday 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. September 12th
September 10th

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rent space in a small neighborhood community center in Northern Virginia. The community center doesn't really have programs of their own. We meet once per week, with additional training in other locations about once a month or every other month. Club dues are $45 a month, with some adjustments for family plans.

Where I work, they have a few martial arts programs through the municipal community center. Fees there vary a little by experience, and the class meets 2 or 3 times a week. Beginners meet twice a week, and pay $120 for residents, a little more for non-residents. Intermediate/advanced students meet 3 times a week, and pay $170 for residents. That covers about 3 months of training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our program is YMCA-based in Pueblo, CO.
$40/month for Y members, $60 for non-members.
Sabumnim is paid, but I don't know how much. He is not a YMCA employee, but is given a portion of the class fees.
Classes are
Tues & Thurs - Beginners 5-6, intermediate 6-7.
Sat - Advanced 9-1030.
I don't know how many people are signed up, but classes run up to about 30 people.

We're a Moo Duk Kwan school, under Grandmaster Wang H. "Bobby" Kim, with geup ranks certified by him for the Pan American Moo Duk Kwan Society and Dan ranks through either the MDK or Kukkiwon.
We use the Palgwe forms with the Taegeuks as optional forms, and Chodan requiring Kicho 1, the 8 Palgwe forms and Koryo.
Our sparring is closest to the ITF ruleset. We pad hands and feet and use the hands as much as the feet, including targeting the head. Contact is light for beginners, "dealers choice" for upper ranks and adults, with most of us using moderate to heavy contact. With my favorite partners, we basically ignore the "official" score. The only shots we care about are the ones we can still feel after the round. :)

OP
T

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We rent space in a small neighborhood community center in Northern Virginia. The community center doesn't really have programs of their own. We meet once per week, with additional training in other locations about once a month or every other month. Club dues are $45 a month, with some adjustments for family plans.

Where I work, they have a few martial arts programs through the municipal community center. Fees there vary a little by experience, and the class meets 2 or 3 times a week. Beginners meet twice a week, and pay $120 for residents, a little more for non-residents. Intermediate/advanced students meet 3 times a week, and pay $170 for residents. That covers about 3 months of training.

Is that on top of the community center membership fee's??

OP
T

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. I look forward to more responses.

Here is what we pay at our school. The only reason for me posting this thread is because I hear many different stories from around the internet. The other reason I am inquiring is because our rates just went up $10 for kids and $20 for adult. Still we don't pay alot for classes, but the fact that we were given no notice after almost 3 years of unchanged rates has some parents outraged. Children now cost $45 and adults cost $65, If you are not a member then it is $65 for children and $85 for adults.

How often does your class meet? Monday, Thursday, and Saturday
How long are classes? Monday and Thursday are 1 - 1.5 hours sometimes longer if we really get going on something, or if the kids are worked more during the 1 hour scheduled time. Saturdays 1 hour for kids and usually an additional 1-2 hours for adults.

Do adults and children train together? Yes, especially during the Scheduled class time(first hour).
Do they charge by session, month, or not at all?? Karate is the only program at the YMCA that I am at that charges by month rather than by session.

If you are an instructor, do you get paid, are there any other instructors?? Yes he gets paid, we have 4 "instructors" but only can be clocked in at a time, so they rotate who punches in, regardless of who teaches.

How many students are in your class?? about 20

Also a General Location of the YMCA if you care to share. Suburb of St.Paul, MN

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow! These prices don't match what I've been looking at. The closest equivalent I've seen was $225 for 12 weeks with parks and rec. YMCA was more expensive. Other places were $75-$80/month. I've checked out 6 places so far.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that on top of the community center membership fee's??
There are no membership fees to either community center. Where I teach, it's essentially a building that they rent out and use for local meetings. Where I work -- it's the municipal parks and rec program.

lma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is there a YMCA equivalent in the uk ? There should be !!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The local YMCA here has a Tang Soo Do class that meets 2x a week for an hour. YMCA fees are $60 a month for an individual, $100 a family. The TSD class is an extra fee class for YMCA members for another $60 a person. Non-YMCA members are charged $85 a month for the TSD class.

I help teach a TKD class out of my parish that has no fee at all. We meet 2x a week for an hour. More than one parent has told me that they love being able to send their kids to a martial arts class, but they couldn't afford even the YMCA class which is lower than most other training options in my area.

OP
T

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The local YMCA here has a Tang Soo Do class that meets 2x a week for an hour. YMCA fees are $60 a month for an individual, $100 a family. The TSD class is an extra fee class for YMCA members for another $60 a person. Non-YMCA members are charged $85 a month for the TSD class.

I help teach a TKD class out of my parish that has no fee at all. We meet 2x a week for an hour. More than one parent has told me that they love being able to send their kids to a martial arts class, but they couldn't afford even the YMCA class which is lower than most other training options in my area.

Sounds like yours is priced dimular to ours.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a YMCA equivalent in the uk ? There should be !!

YMCA was founded in the 19th century in London and spread from there. We have many YMCAs here.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

How often does your class meet?
Modern Arnis 2X per week (Monday and Wednesday nights)
Karate/TKD Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights and Saturday afternoon

How long are classes?
1 hour for the Karate/TKD program and 1 1/2 hours for the Modern Arnis program
Do adults and children train together?
No, I have no adult students in the Karate/TKD program, however if I did, I would let them together (adults and teens maybe)
Do they charge by session, month, or not at all??
I charge by the month, fees are due at the first class of the month.
If you are an instructor, do you get paid, are there any other instructors??
I do get paid a percentage of the monthly dues, however if there are other fees involved (out of city fees etc. etc.) I don't get a percentage of that money. Also I am now working with another instructor to sub for me if I get injured or need to take off due to work or something. I would compensate him out of my monthly earnings.
How many students are in your class??
I have somewhere around 30 + students in the TKD program and four students in the Modern Arnis program over all. The most students I have in any class at a given time has been 15 and that is in my karate class for intermediate/advanced belts with beginner teens in there as well.
Also a General Location of the YMCA if you care to share.
Roanoke TX.

I teach two separate programs at the Rec. Center; an American Karate/TKD program kids and teens, and a Modern Arnis program for teens and adults. I also let the older students in my TKD program cross train into the Modern Arnis program at no cost. I charge $70.00 a month for 3-4 hours of instruction per week, my senior belts actually get closer to 5 hours of instruction time available to them if wanted.

Also I have invested heavily in the program in the way of training supplies; I have purchased wavemasters, kicking shileds, paddles, blockers, padded weapons etc. etc. all to give the students a great training experience.

The answers to the specific questions are above in BLUE.

Latest Discussions