George Dillman

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Maybe we have a Connecticut Martial Talk meet and greet at this thing. What you guys think???

Well, I'm down in DE now... since the early 80's... but, as long as I can get off work... sounds good to me!

I always enjoy meeting other Martial Artists...

Keep me posted!

Regards,

Andy

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like we need to plan a small get together. How should we handle this? I know it is 4 months away but time flies as we all know!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One quick note ... Dillman was introduced to pressure point by Hohan Soken, who provided much written information. Dillman also trained under Master Oyata, who promoted Dillman to 6th or 7th Dan. And while George is spending a lot of time in the more esoteric area ... it's a mistake to assume his technique hasn't improved over the years. For instance, the DKI and KI guys no longer have to strike nearly as hard as they used to the get the response they're looking for.

As for hitting the points in a fight ... don't think 'sparring' ... think stand up grappling. This way the targets are easier to access. Oh, and the back-up to PP technique is ... blunt trauma. If you miss the point, you're still smacking them with a solid, ballistic technique.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well Andy, a student of the Dulinator, Not sure how to comment on that so I won't. Chad first introduced me to George when I was in law school in Louisiana. Chad was my Dillman instructor and I was his Modern Arnis instructor . I've been back in CT since 1998, but still train with Chad when we get the chance. Its a small world. MT event sounds great. This year we have a brand new location which cuts down on my overhead, so the seminar will be discounted compared to years past.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would deffinately suggest anyone that can should go to this seminar, even if you don't like George Ken Smith is one of the best stick fighters in world (IMO) and is a great teacher. Everyone knows how I feel about George IMO he is one of the greatest martial artist alive and is great at teaching and with the PP's.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Dillman learned from a good friend of mine, Mr. Seiyu Oyata. Dillman's skill isn't anywhere close to Oyata's and frankly, he's kind of gone off on a tangent with some of his material (e.g., women should hit this way because they're Yin and men should strike that way because they're Yang, and so forth).
Good call on that.
He learned from great sources and has some deep knowledge on the subject, maybe not the same depth as Oyata, but 99.9 1/2% of the WORLD can say the same on that subject!! ....anyway, my biggest beef with MR. Dillman right now is that he's "Gimmicky"...he finds a thing that he sees as "novel" and then drills it into the ground to the point that it's unrecognizable.

odd...
otherwise his knowledge and skills are great.
\
Your Brother
John

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok we need someone in the hartford area to get togeather a list of hotels/motels close to where the event will be held.
Also if the seminar is a one day event do all of you want to make it a 2 day get togeather and have a day of sharring knowledge and just getting to know each other?
Now as for the Dillman seminar how about posting it up in the events area if you have not already and give the cost and times.
It has been about 20 seen or met Mr. Dillman in about 20 years or so now there for I look forward to seeing in person what he is doing these days. As for Mr. Smith I have never met or seen him so that will be a learning exprence for me

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These days I train PP with Chris Thomas, co-author of Dillman's books. His approach is more scholarly than George and much less esoteric. Master Thomas is the first person I ever heard use the term ... "Blunt trauma is my friend." He has begun a research group call Kyusho Jitsu Kenkukai that's a lot of fun.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
ok we need someone in the hartford area to get togeather a list of hotels/motels close to where the event will be held.

I can put a list together if you'd like.

Also if the seminar is a one day event do all of you want to make it a 2 day get togeather and have a day of sharring knowledge and just getting to know each other?

Now as for the Dillman seminar how about posting it up in the events area if you have not already and give the cost and times.

Brett would be the best person to address these questions.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
If it is a two day thing I may be able to offer the dojo I workout at for the second day. Let me know!

Rob

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard Dillman is a great guy, but overall the reputation of what he teaches is shady to say the least.
Check out the National Geographic show done on him a few years ago where one of his 12 year old black belts throws a chi ball back and forth like a beach ball to another black belt. Also, when his one touch knockouts don't work, he explains that it was because the guy's big toe was up or his tongue was in the wrong position, thus cancelling the effect of the knockout.
That video can be viewed here:
I would be very wary of street techniques where tongue and toe placement negate a technique.

Also, check the vid out
That is of one of Dillman's students trying to do the moves on a whole bunch of bjj guys. The knockouts have no effect on any of them--just on the guy's students.

Be wary.

AoG

Last edited by a moderator:

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been knocked out with one of Dillman's techniques ... Chris Thomas, Dillman's co-author did it. It was ... remarkable. I can't speak to the problem George had on the NG show ... but I do know the technique Master Thomas used on me was extremely effective.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I have said befor I knew him through my instructor some 20 plus years ago and the man had some great techniques back then befor he started his current trends of teachin. The man was a good martial artist back then. I want to see what he is like today and i am willing to be the victum of a no touch technique.
Hell I know what to many who can knock someone out with touch so I want to experence a no touch. I have know some excellent martial as people and none of them could ever do a no touch so i want to experence it first hand
Sorry folks if Dr. Pai could not do a no touch i doubt any man can

I still want someone in Conn to take charge and set up a sort of meet and greet to go along with this seminar It would be an excellent way for many to meet for the first time

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well wheather it is real or not, for me I need irt done to me in person. As far as a MA'ist he was a great on in the eighties when I took some of his seminar great techniques and alot of info. from a great instructor.
Terry

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard he is a great instructor but this no touch thing really doesn't help is reputation and thats sad.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not trying re-hash old arguments about Mr.Dillman and his teachings now but the question that I have is with any pressure point strike would you not need to have the opponent in total control? After all the size of my pressure point area will not be the same as someone bigger or smaller than I. Also the speed in which a confrontation happens will have a dramartic effect on the ability to apply such techniques.

Rob

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rob,

You're exactly right.

In order to do surgery it's wise to strap the patient down first. That's why I say with pressure point fighting you're looking at stand up grappling. This is the way Chris Thomas teaches it. It's so common for an assault to begin with a push, grab or touch with the off hand that Master Thomas often deals with the 'reach' portion of the assault with tuite/chin na (grabbing seizing) techniques. Once the attacker is trapped, then the strike to the pressure point is applied.

Applying pressure points to free fighting is kind of like trying to do heart surgery while the patient runs a marathon.

I hope I'm not overstepping forum boundries when I suggest checking out one of our video podcasts http://martialarts.thepodcastnetwork.com If I am crossing the line, let me know and I won't do it again.

Best Wishes,

Latest Discussions