George Dillman

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
so yea, has anyone seen his DVD's or Videos? im curious about pressure points and knockouts. and from what i have heard that guy is excellent.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't say much about Mr. Dillman, but a good friend of mine studies Kyosho Jitsu. He worked his way up to Sandan in JKA Shotokan before he started studying the kyosho. I thought it was BS, but I allowed him to use me as an uke. Then one night, after several months of letting him hit me, after a series of strikes I looked at him and said "Nope that didn't.....", then fell face first on the floor. Now I wonder about the SD applications. I think it might take a bit too much precision to work in a really stressful situation, but it is very interesting. He loves Dillmans vids and seminars btw.

Jeff

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
so yea, has anyone seen his DVD's or Videos? im curious about pressure points and knockouts. and from what i have heard that guy is excellent.

Pressure points have their pros and cons. I wouldn't completely discard them, as in some cases, I think they'd work very good.

Dillman is coming to CT. in December to do a seminar along with Ken Smith (Modern Arnis) I'm planning on going, as I've never met Dillman, and would like to form my own personal opinion of him.

Mike

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
i am very interested id Dillman's teachings. from what i understand it is hard to find use of the pressure points in a "real fight"

he explained that in a tournament you get in a punch and you get a point, in a street fight that means Nothing. so he developed a system of awareness and counters incorporating the pressure points.

but to be honest i dont really know anything about the subject of pressure point in modern MA

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
when is he coming??? i live in CT!!!!

I believe the date is Dec 2. in Middletown. If you're interested in going, let me know, and as the time draws near, I can give you more info.

Mike

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
small world i grew up in west hartford lol i just moved from there to the waterbury area. lol unreal. i gotta meet up at the dec 2nd date

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dillman learned from a good friend of mine, Mr. Seiyu Oyata. Dillman's skill isn't anywhere close to Oyata's and frankly, he's kind of gone off on a tangent with some of his material (e.g., women should hit this way because they're Yin and men should strike that way because they're Yang, and so forth).

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Oyata is a 10th dan in Okinawan kempo and lives in Independence, MO. He trained with several legendary karate masters of the time, including Chojun Miyagi. However, he learned his "spotting" techniques from a gentleman whose family was originally Chinese (although they'd lived on Okinawa for generations) and who practiced a family form of kung-fu.

Oyata's skill is subtle and genuine. I don't know if he's doing any seminars presently as he's getting up in years.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Pressure points have their pros and cons. I wouldn't completely discard them, as in some cases, I think they'd work very good.

Dillman is coming to CT. in December to do a seminar along with Ken Smith (Modern Arnis) I'm planning on going, as I've never met Dillman, and would like to form my own personal opinion of him.

Mike

Mike,

I am finalizing the details presently. The seminar will be held in Middletown CT this year, at the new and improved Middletown Kenpo Karate. Seminar will be from 1pm to 5pm. I am working out the pricing details presently. We trimmed costs this year and will be offering the seminar for a preregistered price around $60 (maybe less for super early bird type deal) and about $75 at the door

As usual, there will be a dinner/social hour afterward at one of my student's restaurant. Multiple course meal about 15-20 extra

As for your meeting Dillman for a first time: George has a very different approach than many instructors. He has a strong (putting it very mildly) personality that is off putting to some (myself included the first time I met him), but he typically in a general seminar format works concepts that students can easily build from and incorporate into their existing training if they take the time to work with it.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Dillman learned from a good friend of mine, Mr. Seiyu Oyata. Dillman's skill isn't anywhere close to Oyata's and frankly, he's kind of gone off on a tangent with some of his material (e.g., women should hit this way because they're Yin and men should strike that way because they're Yang, and so forth).

I have trained with George over the last 8 or 9 years. I would agree that some of his focus has shifted toward an esoteric fringe that many, myself included, find limited use for. In terms of his nuts and bolts pressure point and tuite material, with emphasis on proper angle and direction of movement, breakdown of kata and movement, and applicability of stances, his material is still very solid. Like almost any instructor, it is what you do with the material you are presented, how you analyze and distill it out, and ultimately how you apply it with respect to your own body type, movement style, or situation that really matters

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]December, eh?

Hmm...

I was born/raised in West Hartford... right off of South main St... just up from Conard HS... and got my MA start at the WH YMCA!

And my Sister and her family still live there... less than a block from my old elementary school (Webster Hill)... so I'll have a place to stay!

Sounds like a good time!

My Modern Arnis Guro (Chad Dulin) was/is a personal student of Mr. Dillmans... and he's even in a few of his videos... I have the Leon Jay (Prof. Wally's son) seminar on tape... and LOVE IT! Such s-m-a-l-l movements with such BIG PAIN! And the knockouts they show are amazing (at least to the un-initiated)…

Unfortunately, due to some recent life changes... Chad's no longer on MT… and also no longer in DE. So, we won't be able to hear from him on this one...:wah:

Regards,

Andy[/FONT]

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
modarnis said:
Mike,

I am finalizing the details presently. The seminar will be held in Middletown CT this year, at the new and improved Middletown Kenpo Karate. Seminar will be from 1pm to 5pm. I am working out the pricing details presently. We trimmed costs this year and will be offering the seminar for a preregistered price around $60 (maybe less for super early bird type deal) and about $75 at the door

As usual, there will be a dinner/social hour afterward at one of my student's restaurant. Multiple course meal about 15-20 extra

As for your meeting Dillman for a first time: George has a very different approach than many instructors. He has a strong (putting it very mildly) personality that is off putting to some (myself included the first time I met him), but he typically in a general seminar format works concepts that students can easily build from and incorporate into their existing training if they take the time to work with it.

Sounds great!! Looking forward to going! I was pretty impressed with the pressure point work that Ken was blending into the Arnis at the Camp! Its really amazing how hitting those areas gives an entirely different view of the material.

Mike

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a roll call of Connecticut not to get off topice here. I was born in New London, raised in hard hittin' New Britain, and now live in Plainville. I will be the first to say I do not believe in all of Mr. Dillman's material but I also believe that everyone has something to offer. Maybe we have a Connecticut Martial Talk meet and greet at this thing. What you guys think???

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
set it up
i had a small one in Ma. a few years ago and met avout 20 people tha where on Mt at that time. We all gave smal ldmos of what they did and everyone had a great time. NO egos where involved. People just wondered around after a while and woked out togeather

Latest Discussions