Gaseous phase of motion

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

... but is there a "plasma" state?

What if your movements are "viscous" -- is that like Jelly or Jell-o?

You know once I went from solid to liguid state, with a lot of gaseous state in between. But it served me right, eating what I did earlier that day.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Ken JP Stuczynski
... but is there a "plasma" state?

What if your movements are "viscous" -- is that like Jelly or Jell-o?

You know once I went from solid to liguid state, with a lot of gaseous state in between. But it served me right, eating what I did earlier that day.

Plasmas are conductive assemblies of charged
particles, neutrals and fields that exhibit collective effects. Further, plasmas carry electrical currents and generate magnetic fields. Plasmas are the most common form of matter, comprising more than 99% of the visible universe.

Plasmas are radically multiscale in two senses
(1) most plasma systems involve electrodynamics coupling across micro-, meso- and macroscale and (2) plasma systems occur over most of the physically possible ranges in space, energy and density scales. The figure here illustrates where many plasma systems occur in terms of typical density and temperature conditions.

However, the full range of possible plasma density, energy(temperature) and spatial scales go far beyond this illustration. For example, some space plasmas have been measured to be less than 10 to the power -10 /m3 (13 orders of magnitude less than the scale shown in the figure!). On one extreme, quark-gluon plasmas (although mediated via the strong force field versus the electromagnetic field) are extremely dense nuclear states of matter. For temperature (or energy), some plasma crystal states produced in the laboratory have temperatures close to absolute zero. On the other extreme, space plasmas have been measured with thermal temperatures above 10+9 degrees Kelvin and cosmic rays (a type of plasma with very large gyroradii) are observed at energies well above those produced in any man-made accelerator laboratory. Considering Powers of 10 is useful for grasping the unique way in which plasmas are radically multi-scale in space, energy and density.

States of Matter* Primary Natural Systems
Spherical Torus at Culham, UK
solids condensed matter, compact (nuclear)
liquids, neutral gas fluid (Navier-Stokes)** systems
plasmas electromagnetic (Maxwell-Boltzmann)** systems
*There are only four dominant naturally-occurring states of matter although many other states of matter exist when considered broadly (see A. Barton, States of Matter, States of Mind, IOP Press, 1997).
X-rays fromYohkoh
ISAS, NASA

**The Navier-Stokes equations are basic equations for studies of fluids and neutral gas systems. The Maxwell equations for electromagnetism and the plasma Boltzmann equation are the basic equations for studies of electromagnetic systems of which plasmas are a prime example
- see references.

Be a little hard to hit a plasma state wouldn't ya think?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
... Be a little hard to hit a plasma state wouldn't ya think?

I once dreamt up a futuristic "creature" called a plasmoid ... A programmable AI, hovering, shmoo-like mass that could extend out a temporarily dense pseudopod to hit you, and yet would yield and absorb your kenetic energy if you hit it, or even allow you pass through it or trap you.

It would suck to fight one of those, wouldn't it?

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
primitive, mechanical, & spontaneous stages of motion, what the three tiers on the flame represent

Someone else asked about this after ProfessorKenpo wrote it. I looked it up and it is in Infinite Insights Book 1. Page 66 I think.

It "might" be Book 2 now that I think again, but there is an illustration of the patch on the page and it is hard to miss if you are skimming to look for it.
:asian:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Micheal Billings

The only thing I would add is that paths of motion, by becoming more economical, may find additional targets, minor moves, reduce wasted motion, and in-fact, find new methods of execution that fill the available space between you and an opponent, limiting or eliminating "Dead Space".

Clyde aka ProfessorKenpo

"And this is the way I look at kenpo," continues Parker. "The end result is that I can kick one opponent and back knuckle two other guys off to my side. That's using kenpo in a vapor state, where I'm seeking my volume. But unfortunately, a lot of people haven't thought of this analogy

Paul Mills Video Clip

The above clip may take a while depending on your download speed.

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

... that bulky people can do pattycake REALLY fast if they want to.

Seriously, I think it has something to do with "filling the space" like gas as responding to your environment as a whole, including multiple attackers.

However, anyone counting on a couple of quick hand jabs against two people at once better either hope the opponents are total wusses or be heavily insured. Now BLOCKING two people at once is a far more procatical skill, then you can strike at will. But practicing hitting two people at once (or in rapid succession) does not impress me. Especially since the angle necessary for such would mean poor placement in relation to defense.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... the fastest hands in the West, and a champion quick draw handgun champ ... no fooling. He really does knock people down, I have not seen him in a decade, but from what I remember, he had the "heavy" Kenpo hands, we all know and love (OK - so not everyone knows what I am talking about) Feeling is believing.

-MB

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
And this represents what exactly?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Why do you need to draw your weapon so far back; like John Wayne, to develope power? Lets talk about point of orgin and were it fits into Kenpo.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fastmover
Why do you need to draw your weapon so far back; like John Wayne, to develope power? Lets talk about point of orgin and were it fits into Kenpo.

How long did that guy stand there before Mr. Mills hit him? Let's talk about non-static attacks too. :eek:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Ken JP Stuczynski
... that bulky people can do pattycake REALLY fast if they want to.
However, anyone counting on a couple of quick hand jabs against two people at once better either hope the opponents are total wusses or be heavily insured. Now BLOCKING two people at once is a far more procatical skill, then you can strike at will.

Funny that little "pattycake quick hand jab" that Mr. Mills did to the guy directly in front of him was the exact same shot that he crushed Larry Kongaika and Ron Boswell with, oh but I'm sure your right they are probably just big wusses!:shrug:

This particular demonstration was done with a large amount of control producing very minimal surface contact, however with a little penetration your "pattycake jab" becomes a little sledgehammer.

Two final comments before I leave here.
1) Mr. Parker could hit you a number of times at speed without making penetration, but I guess all he could do was play patty cake too, huh?
2) If you are trying to block incoming attacks from two attackers you are screwed. This also means your Environmental awareness is off. It's not like the movies, if you are about to be attacked by more than one guy don't be reactionary go on the offensive.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
Funny that little "pattycake quick hand jab" that Mr. Mills did to the guy directly in front of him was the exact same shot that he crushed Larry Kongaika and Ron Boswell with, oh but I'm sure your right they are probably just big wusses!:shrug:

This particular demonstration was done with a large amount of control producing very minimal surface contact, however with a little penetration your "pattycake jab" becomes a little sledgehammer.

Two final comments before I leave here.
1) Mr. Parker could hit you a number of times at speed without making penetration, but I guess all he could do was play patty cake too, huh?
2) If you are trying to block incoming attacks from two attackers you are screwed. This also means your Environmental awareness is off. It's not like the movies, if you are about to be attacked by more than one guy don't be reactionary go on the offensive.

What Mr. Mills does works for Mr. Mills and someone with his build, but a 90lb. woman needs to do more to generate power... Larry Kongaika was my instructor for a long time, and I am very familiar with the rythmic timing you guys use. It just doesn't work for everyone. Sorry.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Larry Kongaika was my instructor for a long time, and I am very familiar with the rythmic timing you guys use. It just doesn't work for everyone. Sorry.

It's worked for everyone I know, that understands it.

What Mr. Mills does works for Mr. Mills and someone with his build, but a 90lb. woman needs to do more to generate power

While these topics are addressed, one could argue that if a 90 lb guy or girl is in a fight they are in trouble. However, it seems that your point was people of smaller stature can't generate power the same way. There are always little tricks that can be used while the individual is learning to generate the power they need, but I'm not even sure I want to fight a 300 to 350lb lineman either. There are limitations in ANY ART based solely on the ratio of each participants size to their opponent(s). To claim otherwise is a lie.

Bill Lear
Where's his forward bow? Maybe Paul Mills doesn't need to transition into a forward bow, but what about his students? Maybe the forward bow is out dated?

The forward bow is not outdated, and you are correct Mr. Mill's stance change is minimal, but it's still there. The reason it is minimal is because he knows how to use the body mechanics from the toes up to the head in order to create and deliver the power for his strikes. This doesn't mean that the stance changes aren't used or aren't taught. Rather the students are taught to maximize the effectiveness of their movements from day one. I.e. each day they should be getting more proficient, and effecient. Day one everyone is taught the Neutral bow to Forward bow from here things get modified as the student continues. At some point you don't need the full forward bow because the summation of your bodies movement can create the same effect with less movement. You never see a boxer hit a forward bow, do you?

OP
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

... This particular demonstration was done with a large amount of control producing very minimal surface contact, however with a little penetration your "pattycake jab" becomes a little sledgehammer. ... Mr. Parker could hit you a number of times at speed without making penetration, but I guess all he could do was play patty cake too, huh?

Yeah, if they're not both moving irratically and you hit them just right while having trained properly for penetrating power and the moon is in correct phase ...

I'm not doubting penetrating power ... it's the use of those techniques in that circumstance if it was real life.

... If you are trying to block incoming attacks from two attackers you are screwed. This also means your Environmental awareness is off. It's not like the movies, if you are about to be attacked by more than one guy don't be reactionary go on the offensive.

Sorry. If I'm in range for attacking both I can be attacked by both. I'm not saying not to go on the offensive, but to hope you are skilled enough under a fluidly-changing circumstance to take out both with a couple of penetrating blows is either overconfidence for most people, or just plain stupid.

So Parker et alia can do it. In real life? Perhaps, but I'd like to see THAT video, which MIGHT have a positive outcome but would look totally different IMO. Even if they could do it this way with any repeatability, it doesn't make it the first option for a sane person defending themselves. If the demonstator in the video was in a real situation, I would hope he would respond much differently, as placing himself sqared off against two people within arm-striking distance shows NO AWARENESS environmentally.

It is far easier to make people get in the way of eachother, and slip from one into the other as you go. Defending against two people can be harder than one (CAN be), but very few are trained to fight coordinatively. I would NEVER stand where he did in the video unless I was dumb enough to be cornered there.

Think of it ... if the dice rolls wrong and your penetrating power doesnt hit right on both at the same time, you'll be caught waiting for your **** to be handed to you.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score

It's worked for everyone I know, that understands it.

For a non-staic attack? Really? How many people end up understanding it? And does their understanding of it change from situation to situation?

While these topics are addressed, one could argue that if a 90 lb guy or girl is in a fight they are in trouble. However, it seems that your point was people of smaller stature can't generate power the same way. There are always little tricks that can be used while the individual is learning to generate the power they need, but I'm not even sure I want to fight a 300 to 350lb lineman either. There are limitations in ANY ART based solely on the ratio of each participants size to their opponent(s). To claim otherwise is a lie.

It's called Self-Defense... It is feasable that someone with that build could have to defend themselves right? I think those tricks are called proper body mechanics... (i.e. properly executed forward bows).

The forward bow is not outdated, and you are correct Mr. Mill's stance change is minimal, but it's still there. The reason it is minimal is because he knows how to use the body mechanics from the toes up to the head in order to create and deliver the power for his strikes. This doesn't mean that the stance changes aren't used or aren't taught. Rather the students are taught to maximize the effectiveness of their movements from day one. I.e. each day they should be getting more proficient, and effecient. Day one everyone is taught the Neutral bow to Forward bow from here things get modified as the student continues. At some point you don't need the full forward bow because the summation of your bodies movement can create the same effect with less movement. You never see a boxer hit a forward bow, do you?

I've never seen a Boxer have to do "Parting Wings" in the Ring. :rolleyes:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
By the way... this is turning into a good debate... Lets not try and take anything personal here... I think we can all learn something from this dialogue... :cool:

Latest Discussions