Gary Johnson

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I found my guy for the 2012 Presidential election. From almost total despair, I believe I have found a guy I can trust, one whom I don't entirely agree with, but I can live the places we differ. Also, for a change, when he speaks, I don't want to a) punch his lights out or b) throw up for a week. He's just not slimy, he doesn't come off as a huckster, a liar, or a bible-thumper.

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/

I have issues with his stance on drug law reform. There are a few other areas where I am not so sure I agree with him, but they don't bother me much. And there is much that I *do* absolutely agree with.

Maybe he has no chance as a third-party candidate. But that sort of thing has never bothered me. It's my duty to vote for the candidate I prefer; regardless of his realistic chance of being elected.

So far, this is looking good, and I'm feeling a lot better about the upcoming election.

Take a look at his platform and let me know what you think.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like him better than Ron Paul, who has a lot of fatal baggage. Although I'm willing to listen to almost anyone who I believe is actually serious about restoring something approaching liberty and due process.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
This needs a "bump"

Gary Johnson is our only hope, I fear!

Judge Jim Gray is his VP candidate. He sat on the bench as a "warrior" on the "War on Drugs" and presided over many trials.

Listen to what he has to say about it. The logic and facts are infallable. It's not an endorsement for drug use, it's an argument against a failed policy that really does nothing to prevent drugs on the streets but instead lines a lot of pockets with money. As the old addage goes, "follow the money..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6t1EM4Onao&feature=share

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After alot of thought, I'm putting my support behind Johnson.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Bill-don't you get it?

THe most important thing this year is to make sure Obama doesn't get reelected.:lfao:

A vote for Johnson is a vote for Obama! :lfao:

Gary's getting my vote, though. Maybe, if he gets enough momentum, things will turn out differently this time........

In all seriousness, I'm in the same place as you-I don't agree with him on everything (though I do agree with him on drug reform-nannner nanner nanner! :2xbird: ) but, in the face of the other non-choices, I have to support him.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still planning to vote for him. I have heard (ad nauseum) the chants from the GOP that voting for Gary Johnson is 'throwing away' my vote, or 'voting for'Obama. They urge me to vote for the one who has a chance of winning. Well, here's the thing. I don't want Romney to win. I don't want Obama to win. So why would I vote for either guy, when I dislike them both? I am voting for the guy I want to win. If he does not win, well, that's the way it goes.

I sincerely hope that both major parties lose membership until they no longer matter. As dead as the Whig, Federalist, or Bull Moose parties. America is sick to death of them and it's starting to show.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm in KS so I don't need to worry about throwing my vote away for Obama. lol Never heard of this guy before today, but...

According to former New Mexico Republican National Committee member Mickey D. Barnett, "Any time someone approached him about legislation for some purpose, his first response always was to ask if government should be involved in that to begin with." - Wikipedia

...I like the cut of his jib.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, Gary is my second choice...Why? Because I was and have been really pulling for Ron Paul this time around...hoping that there would be some sort of Major upset, and Romney wouldn't get the candidacy, but yet it seems that I was living in a fantasy world on that one...

So upon reviewing the DEM and REP candidates, and then looking to see what the LIB party has to offer...Gary Johnson will bring the Country back to where it needs to be...he won't be more of the same.

Also Ron Paul never fully endorsed Gary but he is the only candidate Ron had anything positive 100% to say about..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What issues are the ones that Americans consider important when they vote? I can see from reading on here and other media that things like abortion rights, the war on drugs etc are often talked about but when actually voting what do Americans actually consider to be the priority for the people they vote for to sort out?

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of the time, people choose to go with the "other guy" because they are simly just tired of the same ol same ol...when Bush was president we were promised that the DEMs would fix things, and now the REPs are telling us that they will fix what the DEMs broke...and so on and so forth...so why not bring in someone/a party that is saying something totally different than what the mainstream is saying..and a lot of it, actually makes sense.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What issues are the ones that Americans consider important when they vote? I can see from reading on here and other media that things like abortion rights, the war on drugs etc are often talked about but when actually voting what do Americans actually consider to be the priority for the people they vote for to sort out?

Everyone has different hot-button issues that they care about; I presume it's the same everywhere. I am concerned with the things you mentioned, but they don't play into my hot-button issues for the upcoming elections. I am concerned with the economy, first and foremost. I am also deeply concerned with the increasing intrusion into our privacy by both left and right wings of our current political parties. Both sides want us to give up more liberties for the sake of safety. There are not polite words to describe the depths of my contempt to those beliefs. I will never willingly sacrifice my civil liberties for the illusion of safety. Republicans believe that Democrats are making unwarranted intrusions into our rights, and Democrats believe it is Republicans doing so. Both sides describe their own intrusions as 'necessary'. I wish them both good luck in hell.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tez, it really just depends upon the voter as to which issue is THE issue.

My hope is that no matter who you vote for, it is an informed decision. An informed voter is the first best defense against a lot of the nonsense we are currently see in the political arena. No vote is wasted, if you believe it is the right person to vote for.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would be nice to feel comfortable voting for Jill Stein and the Greens this year. I have my quibbles with the platform, and their tax ideas are extremist, but they're ambitiously progressive, which is a good thing. But, for now, it's more important to me to do my part in keeping Mittens from performing a Mafioso style bust-out on America itself than it is to vote that ambition.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could imagine myself getting behind Gary Johnson if he left social issues alone. For Ron Paul, that and his tax ideas. Both have some great positions but can't leave the social stuff alone.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could imagine myself getting behind Gary Johnson if he left social issues alone. For Ron Paul, that and his tax ideas. Both have some great positions but can't leave the social stuff alone.

What don't you like about his positions? I haven't bothered to look yet myself but the LP traditionally's been pretty much hands-off at the Federal level on things.

Latest Discussions