Garcia interview: Featherweight contender thinks Gamburyan is too small

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-17-2009 06:10 PM:

Leonard Garcia has his confidence back after a long battle and win over Jameel Massouh at WEC 42 in August. Now he wants another shot at theWEC featherweight title. He needs a few more wins to get back in the mix. Up next is Manny Gamburyan. When he spoke with Cagewriter, it didn't sound like he thought much Gamburyan's overall game. The 5-foot-8 Garcia fought three times in the UFC at 155 pounds, now that he's down at 145 he feels like a giant. Even more so against a guy like Gamburyan, who's a compact 5-4.

"It's definitely an advantage. I love it," Garcia told Cagewriter. "I like being considered one of the bigger guys. It makes me come in a little more confident. I know I'm going to be stronger than the other guys just because of leverage alone.

Garcia (13-4, 2-1 WEC) suggests Gamburyan is simply too small to strike with him:

"I feel like I can hold him with one arm and punch him with the other. I don't know if that'll happen during the fight, anything that'll work. Anything to use my reach is going to be utilized."

Thinking Gamburyan has to get the fight to the ground to stand a chance, Garcia drilled his wrestling and takedown defense heavily in training:

"Why would he stand up with me? He's been knocked out before (UFC 87 versus Rob Emerson). I'm sure he questioned himself after that."

Garcia says Gamburyan is no different than a one-dimensional striker, who's always looking for that home run punch:

"Manny's looking for the takedown [so] he might get knocked out. I'm not looking for anything. All I ever try to do is hit the guy as many times as I can."

Garcia also gives his ideas on why he's a power puncher and others lack power. He uses boxer Manny Pacquiao as the example. In spite of jumping from 126 to 145 pounds over the last five years, Pacman has retained his power at the bigger weight.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions