fundies say the darndest things!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my man, when i was a fundamentalist christian not too much unlike these people, i thought the whole world was run by liberal athiest god-hating commies. after my paradigm shifted i felt like you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a fundie. i think whatever side you're on might seem like the oppressed one.

jf

That may be true, but there are a number of folks (that may or may not be fundamentalist Protestants) that talk about "tolerance" or "love" is a way of being, and a way of life.

I think genuine tolerance includes being able to tolerate what one doesn't like.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What makes you think "The Church" has anything to do with this? Im Catholic and have NEVER heard any of this crap in church. Maybe some churches (more properly priests/pastors) do it, but you just move to a different church.

Not directed at you, but it seems like broad statements about "The Church" get a pass, while broad statements about liberals or democrats get laughed at...why is that?

In my case - personally speaking - "The Church" would be the collective experience of the churches I grew up in peppered with the collective experiences of the churches I've had experience with as an adult topped off with the cherries and nuts found as examples on the site this thread references.

I never said that all churches do this. I'm saying that bad churches rape the mind ... and sometimes more. It is condoned fanaticism under false pretenses, for example, to convince people that gravity is really sin.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
That may be true, but there are a number of folks (that may or may not be fundamentalist Protestants) that talk about "tolerance" or "love" is a way of being, and a way of life.

Yes, there are, and I do need remind myself of that from time to time. The shrillness of one hardcore proselytizer (for) easily drowns out considerate, thoughtful people of faith.

I had two co-workers in the same workplace years ago who were quite devoted. I only learned of their strong religious beliefs over time -- it wasn't the first and only thing they spoke of. Though not religious myself, I admire a level of devotion that doesn't need proving.

This sort of in-you-face behaviour, though, happens among the irreligious as well. The effort that some people go to in order to prove there is no god can be equally absurd. Listening to people at the extreme opposites of the spectrum, I haven't heard a good argument about the existence of the Almighty in my adult lifetime.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
dawkins comes to mind as a prime example.

some of my metaphysical beliefs could be classified as pretty weird. but i keep them to myself unless i'm around like-minded or very open minded people. i think what scares many about the current fundamentalist movements is the tendency to legislate or otherwise force their views on others.

jf

Latest Discussions