Ford Transit?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Normally I am not even looking at cars, but I saw one of those in front of me and it looks like it would fit the bill nicely. It seems to be spacious, more car like than a van, more room and lower to the ground than an SUV, cargo space not unlike a truck, with a lot of headroom.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitconnect/

At around 24k for what I would consider essential not too expensive either (though about 10x as much as what I usually drive.

Any ideas? I have not been car shopping in 20 years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a nice Landrover!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Normally I am not even looking at cars, but I saw one of those in front of me and it looks like it would fit the bill nicely. It seems to be spacious, more car like than a van, more room and lower to the ground than an SUV, cargo space not unlike a truck, with a lot of headroom.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitconnect/

At around 24k for what I would consider essential not too expensive either (though about 10x as much as what I usually drive.

Any ideas? I have not been car shopping in 20 years.

Do you meant the Transit or the Transit Connect? From the description, I think you mean the TC, which is considerably smaller - totally different vehicle.

I see them a lot around here. They look cool. Kind of a weird story on them if I recall correctly. They are imported from some eastern bloc nation that makes them for Ford, but they come in with seats installed as a station wagon due to import laws, then the stuff is taken out and they are sold as delivery vans.

Yeah, here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit_Connect

The Ford Tourneo Connect, a leisure activity vehicle, is a Transit Connect with side windows and rear seats. All North American Transit Connects destined for the USA are imported as passenger vehicles to circumvent the 25% "Chicken Tax" on imported light trucks.[1]

The Transit Connect employs the front-wheel drive Ford C170 platform of the original international Ford Focus—the same platform used with the North American Ford Focus before the 2012 model.[2] Other than the name, it shares few components with the Transit. The Connect is manufactured by Otosan in an all new production plant at Gölcük, near Kocaeli, Turkey, and since September 2009 in Craiova, Romania.[3]

I think they're pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of the old sedan deliveries.

$FordTransitConnect-001.jpg

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, Ruskie playboy did indeed sell the company down the river - a great shame for a mighty marque to end that way.

This is still one of my favourite motoring moments on video:

[yt]XGATSb54YEQ[/yt]

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coming from a logistics background I imagine the TC is a result of a Sprinter shrinking after being caught out in the rain.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something about those proportions makes me think rollover risk.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something about those proportions makes me think rollover risk.

It seems to be pretty low to the ground, unlike an SUV. But I seriously doubt the wisdom of putting a roof carrier on one of those puppies, no matter that they are in the option lists

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems to be pretty low to the ground, unlike an SUV. But I seriously doubt the wisdom of putting a roof carrier on one of those puppies, no matter that they are in the option lists

Actually more or less irrelevant as far as proportions go; weight balance an center of gravity is the issue and the TC's COG is nice and low, no more rollover risk than your average minivan.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the Landrover Freelander, living where we do nothing much other than a 4x4 is practical.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still got that snow picture of yours somewhere....but when we get snow even 4WD does not safe the day....I just stay home then. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my heart set on an 02-03 Discovery for my next vehicle

Discos are nice, our Freelander was a compromise, my husband wanted a Defender but there's no way I'm travelling around in that. Defenders are all work, the farmers and the military have them, I wanted a bit more comfort. The Disco is too big to fit in our garage lol.

that link on my previous post is weird, I didn't put it there!

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like that link was added automatically by some software, Tez. Let's see if it does it to me ... Landrover Freelander ... for when you can't live in Chelsea ... :D

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, Skimwords picked that up - might be the board software or might be an 'interloper'. Maybe Cap'n Bob can say?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, Skimwords picked that up - might be the board software or might be an 'interloper'. Maybe Cap'n Bob can say?

Perhaps a mod could remove it for me please? It's not a good link could cost me a lot of money in the wrong hands.

Quick edit, I think I've changed the account so should be okay but still odd! Chelsea, humph...ours is dirty!