For Terry

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
God day Terry, I want to know what kind of okinawan karate do you practiced and how this has improved your TKD?

I've practiced Kenpo karate for one year and this helped me to improve and enrich my ho si sul, right now I am out of kenpo, don't know if I will return to it or will opt for aikido. Aikido is a nice MA to learn too.

I think your okinawan knowledge must be shown in yor ho si sul techs.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terry can answer for himself about what style he studied, but I wanted to clarify that bunkai does not equate to hosinsul. They're somewhat related, but IMO their training goals can actually be at cross-purposes with each other at times. Maybe this is material for another thread however.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well first off I did that before TKD and it was a Shorin Ryu blend. It has helped my understanding of techs alot better because the attention to the tiny detail that goes along with Karate. TKD has dare I say limited techs during a poomsae where as Karate has alot more advance techs. The footwork in Karate fits me better now a days because I am stronger and a little slower that I was when I was youinger. Dancingalone is right about it can hurt you more than help sometime especially in the hosindul.

Manny any art can co-exsist with eachother if the person doing them has an open mind to see what can blend and cannot blend together.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think judo is an excellent complement to TKD. The footwork is more straight forward and "hard". Either that or go whole hog and try to make the hapkido transition.

I think you can blend some elements of aikido or hapkido to TKD but it is not as easy of a marriage.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you to both of you. Kenpo Karate helped me in my understanding of ho si sul in this way, korean hosisul uses a lot of large circles and kenpo is straigther,shorter and in some times quicker cause the range of motion is short. Kenpo remind me the use of the low kick and the use of elbows,hands and some punching techs that we had in TKD but are not used so much.

Manny

Latest Discussions