Footwork when sparring or using mitts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on the boxer some switch a lot. Some never do it.

It should be used to to create angles or opportunities. So switching during a turn off or a switching left cross. Which i use a bit.

I have no idea how it would help if you are tired other than preserving your leg if it gets kicked in.
Since you may throw more leading arm jabs than you may throw back arm cross/hook, your leading arm may be tired sooner that your back arm. You may switch sides just to rest your leading arm and use your other arm to deliever your jabs.

You may switch sides if you are a "striker". Unless you can deliver powerful "cross/hook" from both of your arms, otherwise, I see no good reason to switch sides.

You should never switch side if you are a "grappler".

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not your opponent's feet that you should care about. It's his back hand that you should care about. IMO, don't give your opponent a chance to knock you out by his "powerful back hand cross, or powerful back hand hook" should be treated as your highest priority.
But that means you have to care about his feet. LOL

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not your opponent's feet that you should care about. It's his back hand that you should care about. IMO, don't give your opponent a chance to knock you out by his "powerful back hand cross, or powerful back hand hook" should be treated as your highest priority.

Yeah i agree with that. And that is the idea behind foot fighting a south paw.

I am still not sure the circling helps in the way i am envisioning it. Where i can just be standing there and you are doing laps around me.

my issues are that it is too slow and predictable to be confusing. As compared to just moving around and then cutting an angle on an entry.

And your circle is bigger than mine. If you are walking around me an i just pivot. I think i am controlling that space. I think i get the better angles ii travel less distance because my circle is smaller.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah i agree with that. And that is the idea behind foot fighting a south paw.

I am still not sure the circling helps in the way i am envisioning it. Where i can just be standing there and you are doing laps around me.

my issues are that it is too slow and predictable to be confusing. As compared to just moving around and then cutting an angle on an entry.

And your circle is bigger than mine. If you are walking around me an i just pivot. I think i am controlling that space. I think i get the better angles ii travel less distance because my circle is smaller.
The idea is that they are trying to make you do something stupid. If you are too smart for them. so be it, but you circle because moving straight in isn't the best option. Maybe he is a basketball player and you are smaller.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The idea is that they are trying to make you do something stupid. If you are too smart for them. so be it, but you circle because moving straight in isn't the best option. Maybe he is a basketball player and you are smaller.

But i assume we are not talking about circling off here. Bit more doing laps of a guy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are not used to turn with your opponent's circular footwork, you may get dizzy.

Here is an example that your opponent's circle is bigger that your pivot. It's not hard to see who is controlling the fight and why.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since you may throw more leading arm jabs than you may throw back arm cross/hook, your leading arm may be tired sooner that your back arm. You may switch sides just to rest your leading arm and use your other arm to deliever your jabs.

You may switch sides if you are a "striker". Unless you can deliver powerful "cross/hook" from both of your arms, otherwise, I see no good reason to switch sides.

You should never switch side if you are a "grappler".

I think there are better ways to deal with tired ams.

Getting stronger comes to mind.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have a suitable clip for the striking environment but I have a clip for the grappling environment. Here is an example that your opponent's circle is bigger that your pivot. It's not hard to see who is controlling the fight and why.

Ok lets call that circling off. And you hit that as a timing issue. Normally he goes straight at you and you circle. So you get a better angle.

I don't think that will work at the shaping up stage.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doing laps may be a better option than running into a jab that you will never out reach.

You cant outrun a jab in the manner you are suggesting. You could run at a full sprint in circles around me and i could still keep up with you throwing jabs.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is an example that your opponent's "circle walking" may make you to feel dizzy. I feel dizzy just by looking at this clip. :)

Also if your opponent can circle around you with speed of light, he may turn you into a new born baby. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok lets call that circling off. And you hit that as a timing issue. Normally he goes straight at you and you circle. So you get a better angle.

I don't think that will work at the shaping up stage.
The idea of "circular dragging" or "circle footwork" is to force your opponent to commit on something, anything, so you can take advantage on it. It's an "door opening" move. It's not a "finish move". You don't care about what your opponent may respond to it. You just want him to respond instead of just standing there and wait for you to do something.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think there are better ways to deal with tired ams.

Getting stronger comes to mind.
I will never switch sides in the middle of the fight no matter how tired that I may be. If I have to, I may switch to the "cross stance - right leg forward with left arm forward." instead.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will never switch sides in the middle of the fight no matter how tired that I may be. If I have to, I may switch to the "cross stance - right leg forward with left arm forward." instead.
I wish I could say that, but I originally learned to fight right handed, and would opt to at least give it a try. LOL

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The idea of "circular dragging" or "circle footwork" is to force your opponent to commit on something, anything, so you can take advantage on it. It's an "door opening" move. It's not a "finish move". You don't care about what your opponent may respond to it. You just want him to respond instead of just standing there and wait for you to do something.

TO give an example:

Opponent is leading with left leg. If you circle to his left (your right) he has turn that way, which opens up a portion of his stomach. If you circle the other way, its much easier for him to just move with you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In grappling, when you apply circular arm dragging, if your opponent turns with you, you can take advantage on his turning and help him to turn more than he wants to. In other words, you want your opponent to "commit on something, anything". If your opponent doesn't commit on anything, you can't borrow his force and take advantage on it.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All I have to do it stay to the right of your lead leg (I'm left handed)

Which you cant do the way you describe. Because to get to the side of my body you have to travel further than i do.

Because I can cover ground in a small circle more quickly than you can cover ground in a big circle.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which you cant do the way you describe. Because to get to the side of my body you have to travel further than i do.

Because I can cover ground in a small circle more quickly than you can cover ground in a big circle.
But I'm round house kicking you in the leg and blocking the jab. :)

Latest Discussions