Footwork when sparring or using mitts.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another post which included some talk around footwork has prompted me to comment here.

I boxed when younger and I like to move on my feet. 20 years later and I've started over with Hapkido, when sparring or using the mitts I still constantly moving side to side, and I get criticized by some club members (not my instructor) that I'm trying to be flashy as they tend to stay still, or they just move in back and forward in a linear fashion.

I'm more agile and have better response times when kept in motion and I can keep it up a lot longer than a linear approach, which I find slows me down and feels sluggish.

How do you teach (or are taught) to move when sparring or mitt work in your club?

Last edited:

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Generally, we teach to circle and stay as light as you can. But understand this cant apply to everyone. Different bodies have to spar different ways. If the one of the older gentlemen can move and circle as quick or as much as me, thats fine. As long that theyre staying as light as they can and not standing as stiff as a heavy bag.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think if it's okay with your instructor, it's okay.

I teach people to move as their body allows. Movement (footwork) is twofold, avoid getting hit while staying, or moving into, a position to hit.

When sparring, the feedback is pretty clear as to if it's working. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do similar to that boxing footwork drill except have some more movements and concepts here and there.

That drill and concept shouldn't really have to be style specific because tend to be structured the same so it is going to be a pretty consistent idea.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was quite pleased with that video. And employing those strategies will take advantage of people who don't.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We teach students to move move move. Lateral movement is generally the best choice, and a linear retreat is generally the worst.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drop Bear, excellent footwork concepts on the video.
Angle going in and on egress. Don't always enter the same or egress the same. Proper angles allow you to be in position to attack and the opponent to have to reposition to counter/counter-attack. If you must step backward angle immediately zoning to the opponent's weaker position.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you teach (or are taught) to move when sparring or mitt work in your club?
I like to teach my guys to always move in circle. If your opponent has

- "right" leg forward, you should circle to his "right".
- "left" leg forward, you should circle to his "left".

Because your opponent doesn't want you to move behind him, you can "force" your opponent to circle around with you, and use his leading arm to jam his own back arm. This way, you will always force your opponent to fight with your favor footwork and not with his favor footwork.

You should always move your back foot first, when your back foot and both of your opponent's feet are on a straight line, if you move in through that line, it will be difficult for your opponent to escape your "single leg" attack.

circle_running.jpg

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because your opponent doesn't want you to move behind him, you can "force" your opponent to circle around with you, and use his leading arm to jam his own back arm. This way, you will always force your opponent to fight with your favor footwork and not with his favor footwork.

You should always move your back foot first, when your back foot and both of your opponent's feet are on a straight line, if you move in through that line, it will be difficult for your opponent to escape your "single leg" attack.

circle_running.jpg

Yeah very good methodology there.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

circle_running.jpg
A good opponent won't circle with you. Will cut you off instead.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A good opponent won't circle with you. Will cut you off instead.
Of course that may happen. It's better for your opponent to circle with you (you lead the fight) than for you to circle with your opponent (your opponent leads the fight). Also if you have spent more training time in this kind of circular footwork, you will be more familiar with this situation than your opponent does. That will be your advantage.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course that may happen. It's better for your opponent to circle with you (you lead the fight) than for you to circle with your opponent (your opponent leads the fight). Also if you have spent more training time in this kind of circular footwork, you will be more familiar with this situation than your opponent does. That will be your advantage.

You would have to watch for switching and cross stepping. Because then you would be circling into punches and not away from them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You would have to watch for switching and cross stepping. Because then you would be circling into punches and not away from them.
Agree! When your opponent switches sides, you switch your circular direction too. Again if your opponent switches to his

- right side forward, you want to circle to his right.
- left side forward, you want to circle to his left.

You want to circular into your opponent's "side door". The definition of your opponent's "side door" is the "outside area of his leading leg".

If your opponent stands like the following picture, you should circle to his left (your right). You don't want to circle into your opponent's "front door - inside of his leading leg" so his powerful righ cross or right hook can reach you.

IMO, when your opponent shuffle his stance and switch sides from "uniform stance" into "mirror stance", your back leg roundhouse kick should kick out right at his belly. You should then move in right at that moment. No more circle around footwork will be needed after that. You just use your roundhouse kick as your 1st set up for your "entering strategy".

A boxing coach would tell you that when you see your opponent switches sides in the middle of the game, he must be tired, you should attack with everything you got right at that moment.

boxing_stance_1.jpg

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, no matter how your opponent may stand, you should always try to move your back foot "toward the direction" in order to line up "your back foot with both of his feet".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, no matter how your opponent may stand, you should always try to move your back foot "toward the direction" in order to line up "your back foot with both of his feet".

The only time i would really bother with his feet is if he is south paw In which case I keep my front foot on the out side of his. Otherwise i think it might just get too focused on the feet and less focused on the face punching.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree! When your opponent switches sides, you switch your circular direction too. Again if your opponent switches to his

- right side forward, you want to circle to his right.
- left side forward, you want to circle to his left.

You want to circular into your opponent's "side door". The definition of your opponent's "side door" is the "outside area of his leading leg".

If your opponent stands like the following picture, you should circle to his left (your right). You don't want to circle into your opponent's "front door - inside of his leading leg" so his powerful righ cross or right hook can reach you.

IMO, when your opponent shuffle his stance and switch sides from "uniform stance" into "mirror stance", your back leg roundhouse kick should kick out right at his belly. You should then move in right at that moment. No more circle around footwork will be needed after that. You just use your roundhouse kick as your 1st set up for your "entering strategy".

A boxing coach would tell you that when you see your opponent switches sides in the middle of the game, he must be tired, you should attack with everything you got right at that moment.

boxing_stance_1.jpg

It depends on the boxer some switch a lot. Some never do it.

It should be used to to create angles or opportunities. So switching during a turn off or a switching left cross. Which i use a bit.

I have no idea how it would help if you are tired other than preserving your leg if it gets kicked in.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only time i would really bother with his feet is if he is south paw In which case I keep my front foot on the out side of his. Otherwise i think it might just get too focused on the feet and less focused on the face punching.
It's not your opponent's feet that you should care about. It's his back hand that you should care about. IMO, don't give your opponent a chance to knock you out by his "powerful back hand cross/hook" should be treated as your highest priority.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions