Flow vs Basics

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear a lot of talk about flow, and about mastering the basics.

Id say being able to do both is important to being "well rounded" but at what point do you transition. (almost) No one's basics are perfect, and we could spend a lifetime mastering them... so at what point do you "move on" and work on other things? A lot of people here seem to imply NEVER, but I don't think they mean it that way, because that leaves no room for growth...

So where do you guys feel the balance point is?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I hear a lot of talk about flow, and about mastering the basics.

Id say being able to do both is important to being "well rounded" but at what point do you transition. (almost) No one's basics are perfect, and we could spend a lifetime mastering them... so at what point do you "move on" and work on other things?

Excuse me but what is that supposed to mean? "Moving on"?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my styler of ju-jitsu there are no "basics". There are only concepts that are reflected in various techniques. We employ the concepts in each technique and work to refine the execution of the technique itself.

One of the concepts of all of the techniques is "flow". So, by working the technique and adhering to the concept, the "basic" (the technique) and the "flow" (the concept) become one.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Excuse me but what is that supposed to mean? "Moving on"?

By "Moving on" I mean... well, like when you start, you work the basics, you learn Ukemi, stances, sanshin, Kihon Happo, and that is your FOCUS... it may not be the only thing you learn, but its your main... what is a good word... PURPOSE... at that time in your training. I think at some point that focus shifts, you never stop working on and using those basics, but at some point you start looking at, I dunno, other stuff?? How they apply, or the space around your opponent, or the other dynamics in a confrontation... as opposed to the gross motor movements of the Sanshin, or the stances...

I guess, Moving on means looking at "more" in terms of your taijutsu.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
By "Moving on" I mean... well, like when you start, you work the basics, you learn Ukemi, stances, sanshin, Kihon Happo, and that is your FOCUS... it may not be the only thing you learn, but its your main... what is a good word... PURPOSE... at that time in your training. I think at some point that focus shifts, you never stop working on and using those basics, but at some point you start looking at, I dunno, other stuff?? How they apply, or the space around your opponent, or the other dynamics in a confrontation... as opposed to the gross motor movements of the Sanshin, or the stances...

I guess, Moving on means looking at "more" in terms of your taijutsu.

Sometimes it seems to me that all "advanced" Bujinkan training can be described with three words.

Pimp My Kihon. :ubercool:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Sometimes it seems to me that all "advanced" Bujinkan training can be described with three words.

Pimp My Kihon. :ubercool:

lol. Thats an amusing image

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's a good idea to get a good feel for how to use leverage before moving onto "flow". If one moves onto flow without having leverage, couldn't you end up just flowing into a dangerous position?

I dunno....

Richard Maloof

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Id say being able to do both is important to being "well rounded" but at what point do you transition. (almost) No one's basics are perfect, and we could spend a lifetime mastering them... so at what point do you "move on" and work on other things?

Never. You work on the basics as they are presented for a long time. Then you move on in a fashion. But then you need to go back and fine tune those basics and look at them with new eyes. And again you follow them as shown to you for a long time until you get to a matter of freedom. Then you start the cycle over again.

I have seen people far better than me be corrected in their kihon happo. The level of subtlety being corrected was far beyond what I could understand and I growled at someone who wanted me to translate this private conversation that they would probably never understand. If these skilled Japanese could be still looking at the basics like that, there is no way I can believe that any of the guys strutting around and calling themselves 'shihan' can honestly say they know the Kihon Happo well enough to leave it behind and never look back.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of consciously moving on. I think as you train your basics repetitively, you develop a flow. This coming from a guy who has all the flow of a brick... :lol:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We were training with Rob Renner on Monday night and he made many good points, one in particular that I think may be relavent to this and I think it also ties in with what some have said. Essentially, what I got out of it, was that as we train we are constantly trying to do but with less. I believe this process is how flow gradually becomes part of the training. I don't think there is a line of demarkation that states at this point flow begins, I think it is a natural progression of training as we keep going over the basics and stripping out our own inefficiencies. I am saying that I think that flow will naturally happen as we train.

Just some of my thoughts.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
there is no way I can believe that any of the guys strutting around and calling themselves 'shihan' can honestly say they know the Kihon Happo well enough to leave it behind and never look back.

Well, if you go read my clarification of "Moving On" you will see I never said leave them behind... I was asking at what point do you conciously start working on other things...

Ive been to several Bujinkan schools, seen it done differently at each. I like the way we do it now personally... I was just wondering what the rest of you think... and it seems my first impression may be right after all.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BigShadow, I think you're right about this. I also think that flow is something that needs to be kept in the forefront of our minds as we train.

I've seen some high ranks that are still very stiff. But, overall, I think that flow is a natural progression of training.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that flow is very hard to teach separately from the technique itself. Only by continuous practice on the technique will the principle of flow be developed.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I think as you train your basics repetitively, you develop a flow.
Navarre said:
Only by continuous practice on the technique will the principle of flow be developed.
Hell of an echo in here, eh?

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
as we train we are constantly trying to do but with less. I believe this process is how flow gradually becomes part of the training. I don't think there is a line of demarkation that states at this point flow begins, I think it is a natural progression of training as we keep going over the basics and stripping out our own inefficiencies. I am saying that I think that flow will naturally happen as we train.

I agree and I believe this is also what Don is saying by "revisiting the kihon." As an example, after I (thought I) understood the "mechanics" of omote gyaku, I decided that I wanted to be like my teacher and be able to pin my uke to the floor without using my hands. I tried for many months to do this, and eventually got it such that I could hold my uke on the ground using just my knees and hip, freeing my hands to draw weapons and freeing my attention away from the guy beneath me.

In doing this, however, I started to rethink what I (thought I) understood of the mechanics. I "threw away" movement that was unimportant, and as a result, my understanding of "the basics" improved.

I believe this reflects all three opinions mentioned here: (1) At what point do you make a decision to "go flow" (e.g. work precisely on efficiency) (Technopunk), (2) The process is natural progression of training (Kreth & BigShadow), and (3) The process results in feedback that alters what you thought you knew (DonRoley).

In other words, you grow! :)

-ben

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bencole said:
I agree and I believe this is also what Don is saying by "revisiting the kihon." As an example, after I (thought I) understood the "mechanics" of omote gyaku, I decided that I wanted to be like my teacher and be able to pin my uke to the floor without using my hands. I tried for many months to do this, and eventually got it such that I could hold my uke on the ground using just my knees and hip, freeing my hands to draw weapons and freeing my attention away from the guy beneath me.

In doing this, however, I started to rethink what I (thought I) understood of the mechanics. I "threw away" movement that was unimportant, and as a result, my understanding of "the basics" improved.

I believe this reflects all three opinions mentioned here: (1) At what point do you make a decision to "go flow" (e.g. work precisely on efficiency) (Technopunk), (2) The process is natural progression of training (Kreth & BigShadow), and (3) The process results in feedback that alters what you thought you knew (DonRoley).

In other words, you grow! :)

-ben

Yes! Yes! This is exactly what I was wondering! You get to a point where you move away from "In Omote you peel the opponents hand off and step forward, and then circle it up, after which you pull back and twist and this is the throw" (And yes, I know thats not right and that is on purpose) but you move into "In omote, as your body turns this way, his wrist will roll and you may then lock it and break it or throw your opponet by positioning your hips here"

This is good, because reading a lot of posts I got the impression from a lot of posters that since our basics are never perfect we should not try and move away from "In Omote you peel the opponents hand off and step forward, and then circle it up, after which you pull back and twist and this is the throw" type of training... but rather should perfect that type of movement from our basics... Im beginning to see what they ACTUALLY mean now!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's also said that flow is essential to learn the usage of broken rhythm - something which sadly a lot of people these days don't know how to utilize. Comments?

(and no, I was not being disrespectful, to whom it may concern)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
It's also said that flow is essential to learn the usage of broken rhythm - something which sadly a lot of people these days don't know how to utilize. Comments?

(and no, I was not being disrespectful, to whom it may concern)

If you mean me, then no offense taken. I have little desire to take the internet world as reality.

... On the other hand, someone gave me a neg rep point today for my previous post in this thread yet failed to give a reason or sign their name. That's really pathetic.

Oh well, in the end it's just a little red GIF file. Thanks [whomever] for giving me something colorful to look at.

As for flow and broken rhythm, I'd be interested in hearing how you think flow is necessary. I don't doubt the claim; I just want to make sure we're talking about the same concept. ... kinda like you wanted to clarify mine earlier.

Latest Discussions