A training tool

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you could only purchase/own ONE tool for your training, what would it be?

A hanbo? A piece of rope? A Gi? What would you consider invaluable?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me it would be a Bo- Staff.
Terry
Everything else is irrevelant to training, I can kick on everything and punch my walls.:erg:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A hanbo, definitely. A hanbo is usable in more of a variety of settings than say, a bo. Also, it would be tough to run afoul of weapons laws with one unless you were caught actively beating someone with it. :lol:
Some other weapons are easily improvised. Loose pocket change makes a good distraction, a la shuriken; and you could improvise a kusari fundo from a belt, rope, or rolled up shirt.
An anecdote while I'm thinking of it... Several years ago, there was a retired school teacher training at our dojo. He often carried his hanbo with him. It doubled as a walking stick, and he also used it on a few occasions to fend off unfriendly dogs while walking. He eventually fitted it with crutch tips on either end, and was offered early boarding on a flight once while travelling to visit family.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A Hanbo is something that you can also easily improvise. Is it actually important to own one?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
A Hanbo is something that you can also easily improvise. Is it actually important to own one?
Based on its versatility alone, I'd say yes...

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:

My "hanbo" is a Military Riot Baton.

its about 3 feet long, straight, and wooden. The only thing that I would say makes it different than a "regular" hanbo is the grooves at the ends.

So in my case I own it cuz its just cool. Heh. But you are correct, it is an easily improvised weapon. But I think a lot of weapons are... excluding maybe bladed ones.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey i like the idea of having one with me at all times. Having one disguised as a walking stick is a great idea! Just got to get to work on growing a white beard to make it look the part now..

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Heh, I actually have one of the Combat Canes from Cane Masters.

Me too -- love it!! Simple oak with "teardrop" shaft. Goes with me on airplanes with no problem. If I take a bus somewhere I can always sit near the door, even if it's crowded, because people make. . .certain assumptions. . .and I don't even have to whack them with the cane for them to give up a seat.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Heh, I actually have one of the Combat Canes from Cane Masters.

Same here and I carry mine everywhere..Never got any hassles when boarding an aircraft..

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Mind, all the rest I can make :D.

Less hassles if you let them bring their own toys to the party and they accidently fall over and hurt themselves with them.:D

I must admit though I am a Bo staff man myself.

I do have trouble keeping my mind on the plane though, as it likes to watch the flight attendants instead.:D

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would say may hanbo or my bokken for same reasons it has spent alot of time with me seems more like a freind than tool though.

Latest Discussions