Five Ancestors Fist ?

android

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there

wow - have not been on this site in ages...

Does anyone have any experience in training Five Ancestors Fist Wuzuquan style?
Recently came across a local guy who teaches this near me, just wondered what a typical class might involve

www.hulutang.org

Thanks
Andy

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the method.

A couple things that got my hackles up: on the website, in the section on Chinese Medicine, there is reference to the Sifu being a bone-setter, and also to the medicine being effective against cancer.

If I suspect I have a broken bone, I will go to the hospital, and not to my Sifu.

If I have cancer, I will go to the hospital, and not to my acupuncturist.

I think it is dangerous to flippantly bandy about statements that suggest acupuncture and moxibustion and such can cure cancer, and I think it is dangerous for people to be trying to set bones if they might not have the proper training for it.

I have had acupuncture and moxibustion and Chinese herbal treatments. I believe they can be beneficial, depending on the issues, and as part of a wholistic health regimen. However, there are times when Western medicine rules supreme.

In my opinion, some folks really get into the daoist thing, they embrace it whole-heartedly and they want it to be the answer to everything. I don’t believe that is appropriate. I tend to keep my distance from those people.

I don’t know if this fellow fits that description or not. But I did notice a couple things that gave me a weird feeling.

For what it’s worth.

OP
A

android

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wow - that's interesting, he runs a class tomorrow night i might pop along and see what its all about

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the method.

A couple things that got my hackles up: on the website, in the section on Chinese Medicine, there is reference to the Sifu being a bone-setter, and also to the medicine being effective against cancer.

If I suspect I have a broken bone, I will go to the hospital, and not to my Sifu.

If I have cancer, I will go to the hospital, and not to my acupuncturist.

I think it is dangerous to flippantly bandy about statements that suggest acupuncture and moxibustion and such can cure cancer, and I think it is dangerous for people to be trying to set bones if they might not have the proper training for it.

I have had acupuncture and moxibustion and Chinese herbal treatments. I believe they can be beneficial, depending on the issues, and as part of a wholistic health regimen. However, there are times when Western medicine rules supreme.

In my opinion, some folks really get into the daoist thing, they embrace it whole-heartedly and they want it to be the answer to everything. I don’t believe that is appropriate. I tend to keep my distance from those people.

I don’t know if this fellow fits that description or not. But I did notice a couple things that gave me a weird feeling.

For what it’s worth.
One point of clarification-i agree about tbe bone setting. And most of what you wrote as a general warning. But how i read the cancer portion, it doesn't necessarily say he is treating cancer, but that theyve helped people with issues (including cancer) with acupuncture. That might just mean that they help ease pain/negative symptoms from some of the medications/radiation people get, not that they help cure it. And it can help ease some of those symptoms. So I'd have to talk to him directly about that to see if I have an issue with it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One point of clarification-i agree about tbe bone setting. And most of what you wrote as a general warning. But how i read the cancer portion, it doesn't necessarily say he is treating cancer, but that theyve helped people with issues (including cancer) with acupuncture. That might just mean that they help ease pain/negative symptoms from some of the medications/radiation people get, not that they help cure it. And it can help ease some of those symptoms. So I'd have to talk to him directly about that to see if I have an issue with it.
I agree, and that distinction did not go unrecognized. But I think when statements like that are being made, there ought to be caution to clarify what they mean, and that clarification was missing.

Sometimes herbal treatments can affect or interfere with how Western prescription drugs work. So if Eastern medicine is going to be part of the treatment regime, they really need to be careful and make sure to work with the Oncologists so there aren’t any ugly surprises.

Some of this may seem obvious, and it should be. But I guarantee there are people out there who would jump on an Eastern medical treatment schedule for cancer, if they saw something like this. I’ve known such people. My wife knew someone who did it, and simply died. Misplaced trust in the wrong treatment schedule, that should have been avoided.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, and that distinction did not go unrecognized. But I think when statements like that are being made, there ought to be caution to clarify what they mean, and that clarification was missing.

Sometimes herbal treatments can affect or interfere with how Western prescription drugs work. So if Eastern medicine is going to be part of the treatment regime, they really need to be careful and make sure to work with the Oncologists so there aren’t any ugly surprises.

Some of this may seem obvious, and it should be. But I guarantee there are people out there who would jump on an Eastern medical treatment schedule for cancer, if they saw something like this. I’ve known such people. My wife knew someone who did it, and simply died. Misplaced trust in the wrong treatment schedule, that should have been avoided.
I agree with all of this. But from how it's written, I can't tell if he's working with treatment teams or not-he could definitely update that part of his website for clarification if he is.

IMO: if he is working with oncologists and using supplements they're in agreement with and/or acupuncture for symptom management, I think that's awesome. If he's telling people he can treat them, or not staying in contact with their treatment team to make sure everyone is aware of what he is doing, he should not be in business.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with all of this. But from how it's written, I can't tell if he's working with treatment teams or not-he could definitely update that part of his website for clarification if he is.

IMO: if he is working with oncologists and using supplements they're in agreement with and/or acupuncture for symptom management, I think that's awesome. If he's telling people he can treat them, or not staying in contact with their treatment team to make sure everyone is aware of what he is doing, he should not be in business.
Agreed. I think both methods ought to contribute, wherever appropriate.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well ... my Sifu has training in bone setting, so I wouldn't dismiss it entirely. It's not really something that requires modern technology or western methods. Here's a site about it, though unrelated to my Sifu: Bone Setting - Oriental Health | Premier Chinese Medicine Clinic

But the cancer statements? Yeah, I'd avoid saying that TCM can be effective against cancer.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well ... my Sifu has training in bone setting, so I wouldn't dismiss it entirely. It's not really something that requires modern technology or western methods. Here's a site about it, though unrelated to my Sifu: Bone Setting - Oriental Health | Premier Chinese Medicine Clinic

But the cancer statements? Yeah, I'd avoid saying that TCM can be effective against cancer.

Per Mrs Xue, TCM is great for reducing pain from cancer and is used regularly in China for that purpose. It is not used for curing cancer. It is used in cancer treatment to reduce pain and side effects from chemo