CMA Sword and Shield

j.ouellet23

White Belt
Reaction score
I am curious about the combination of sword and shield in traditional CMA.
I have seen it a few times used as a demonstration piece in Shaolin, but I cannot seem to find a name for the form or any sort of reference material?

Is the sword and shield only present in Shaolin, or does it show up in other forms of CMA in a more standardized form?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am curious about the combination of sword and shield in traditional CMA.
I have seen it a few times used as a demonstration piece in Shaolin, but I cannot seem to find a name for the form or any sort of reference material?

Is the sword and shield only present in Shaolin, or does it show up in other forms of CMA in a more standardized form?
I don’t know to be honest, and I’ve only seen shield work once or twice, although my Sifu has a couple bamboo shields in his garage. I don’t know what he knows about it.

My gut tells me that a shield is bulky and not likely to be carried by a civilian. It would have been more common in the context of military, so may not be very common within methods largely practiced by civilians.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Liao Wuchang (廖五常) had demonstrated sword and shield in Taiwan many years ago in his Southern taizuquan system (南太祖拳).

liao.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions