Filipino Food?

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
What's it like? I'm familiar with Japanese and Chinese and like those, tried Thai and it's just not my thing.

Also, anyone know of a place in the Greater Cleveland (Ohio) area that I could check out and try some? :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Presas brought me to a place once in New Jersey.
I let him order for me because I didn't know what any of the food was!
It wasn't quite like anything i have eaten before!
It was an interesting experience! I must admit that under normal circumstances i would prefer a thick steak! :)
If you find a place, let us know how it went!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto. :) I spent a year in Parma (suburb of Cleveland for those not familiar with the area or the Drew Carey show) and don't recall any, but wasn't looking at the time either. I try to get back that way at least once a year so if you find one, I'd love to try it out. Sadly, none in WNY that I know of.

Read somewhere that BBQ was a regular part though. ??

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dabble in cooking, leaning towards Chinese and Mexican, but some of those recipes look fun to try. Any suggestions on where to look for some of the ingredients? I didn't find a few at my local grocery store (which has a decent international section.)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I dabble in cooking, leaning towards Chinese and Mexican, but some of those recipes look fun to try. Any suggestions on where to look for some of the ingredients? I didn't find a few at my local grocery store (which has a decent international section.)

I am lucky to have to Asian Grocery Markets near by and some of the spices and non-parishables I order over the internet. Some local Asian restaurants often sell me certain things in bulk.

OP
The Game

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is there a primary ingredient to Filipino food? Something you'll find pretty common in many dishes?

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rice. Steamed Rice. You can't pass by a filipino meal without seeing a big ol' bowl of steamed rice that everyone then piles onto their plates.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rice is good. Any particular type, or just plain white rice?

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Plain ol' white rice is the norm, but some folks (especially in the US) will make and use variations according to their individual tastes. My great-aunt switched to brown rice for it's health and nutritional benefits, for example. Some recipes also call for glutinous, or sticky rice, for porridges and soups/stews.

PeteNerd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Rice is good. Any particular type, or just plain white rice?

Thai Jasmine Rice Milagrosa is the best substitute you can get in the states, for filipino rice. It's comparable to one of the more expensive rices sold in the philippines. Also in the Visayan region, people tend to eat a lot of gritted corn instead of rice. For some it's a price thing, some it's just a preference. Some people also serve rice and gritted corn at the same table.

Pete

PeteNerd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Game said:
Is there a primary ingredient to Filipino food? Something you'll find pretty common in many dishes?

Most filipino cooking starts the same, with garlic and onion sauteed in oil. Then they build from there. They use a lot of vinegar and soy sauce in their cooking too. They also use a lot of ginger. Sometimes coconut milk. Some favorites are
Adobo - Pork or chicken cooked in vinegar, soy sauce and garlic
Sinigang - Sour soup
Pancit - Noodles with vegetables and meat
Kare Kare - Ox Tail in Peanut Butter sauce

Cuisine varys quite a bit from region to region. There is chinese, spanish, malaysian and american influence on the cuisine. They eat a lot of fish and seafood also. Barbecue is a big street food, basically grilled meat on a stick.
At Fiesta time nothing beats Lechon. Lechon is a whole pig, put on a bamboo pole and roasted over hot coals. It is cooked until the skin is brown and crispy. You can crack off pieces of the skin and fat, which everyone wants. Underneath that is all the meat. It's really delicious.

Well that's a good primer. I suggest just searching for recipes online or getting a filipino cook book.

Pete

PeteNerd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
PeteNerd said:
Make sure you try Aso or Ascal too. It's delicious.

Pete

I guess no one got my joke, so i'll explain. Aso is dog and Ascal is Aso de Calle or street dog. Certain regions are known for eating dog. A lot of people in the Philippines think it's gross to eat a dog, but there are a lot of people there that enjoy it too. When I was in Cebu I tried it and it's not really that bad. Sort of like beef, but a little more stringy and has more of a gamey flavor.

Pete

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Me and my buddy polished of a pack of tocino and a pack of longanisa last night. I swear I think my heart stopped at one point.

Tocino is suger cured porked it has a lot of fat (60g of fat per 400g) it rocks on the BBQ.

Longanisa, is filipino sweet garlic sausage (so damn good!). As my friend says " it makes bacon look like lean turkey.

I have so say that filipino's are geniuses with pork.

Vince
aka Black Grass

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black Grass said:
Me and my buddy polished of a pack of tocino and a pack of longanisa last night. I swear I think my heart stopped at one point.

Tocino is suger cured porked it has a lot of fat (60g of fat per 400g) it rocks on the BBQ.

Longanisa, is filipino sweet garlic sausage (so damn good!). As my friend says " it makes bacon look like lean turkey.

I have so say that filipino's are geniuses with pork.

Vince
aka Black Grass

I will second that! If you like pork, you cannot go wrong.

eric10

White Belt
Reaction score
Tocino and Longanisa rock, I love them, but they are so bad for you.
Some places will have beefsteak, basically BBQ beef with Filipino marinade on it. (Good stuff)
Pancit, like Lo mein is good.
Adobe is good, but you must like vinegar, usually has a nice vinegar bite to it.
Lumpia, Rocks this is a tiny egg roll filled with meat.
If you’re not a fan of white rice, some places have garlic rice, and or fried rice.