Fighting in the Ryuha

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
But if someone knows you are coming at you with technique "A" and resists it in a way that it is difficult to do that technique, then it is stupid and against the rule of Kyojitsu Tenkan Ho to try to do the technique he is expecting and preparing for.

'Zackly right. By the same token, were it an actual fight, if an opponent is able to tell what you're doing and tries to resist/counter it, you shouldn't be trying to do more of what isn't working easily or trying to do it "harder". Resistance is Nature's way of telling you that something is wrong.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm at work, had to run for a sec...

I used to be one of those students, not fully executing a technique in training. It's something I'm still working on, as I rationally understand the value of "keeping it real", I just have had some psychological barriers to going all out. It's actually kind of funny - it (holding back) comes froma a place of not wanting to harm, but if I trust that the partner is capable of not being hit, then no harm is done. If they do get hit, they'll learn to try better next time.

Please, don't discount those who hold back - they'll learn eventually, and everyone's training will be the better for it when they get there.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tech.... This is an interesting concept, can you expand on what you mean by that?

But not the "truth".
My truth is, teach fighting from the stand point of enlightenment.
Then from a stand point of understanding the enlightenment.
Then from a point of view of historal concepts and pragmatic experience.

OK..
In my own word then,
I am not a hobbyist.
This should aid you to understand what it is I am saying.

If I wish a student to learn I let them experience what it is they will encounter in a fight by feeling it from experience during stress sparring, matches, etc.
This helps them to get a feel for the pragmatic views of the nature of a conflict first hand.
Having the feeling of not wanting to be hit, grabed or what ever the student then has knowledge.
Knowledge gives way to reason.
The pathway to self-discovery.

Self-discovery is not in hearsay.

ralph severe, kamiyama

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ron sensei,
Fighting is a very frightful word to many.

Many in martial arts have never even sparred or had a street fight.

For example,
Some feel that doing forms in taekwondo is fighting.
Many in a koryu system doing forms and cutting straw is fighting too.
Some like in kali doing stick drills seem to be fighting.
Students going to class and hearing about fighting makes them feel they in fact have been in a fight.
Even kickboxing aerobics are sold as fighting.... LOL.

But the facts are those are not fighting at all.
Ron sensei it is hard to be mindful of your ego and say you are a fighter once you have found truth and know you are not a fighter at all.
It doesn't matter if you are a fighter at all if you just enjoy martial arts for the sake of art and health. This is really ok...............................
I have seen you spar many times as I have with Steve sensei. Both with and without weaponry. I have even got into sparring with you both.. and been hit by you both many times.
Those who know... understand.
Those who do not...

ralph severe, kamiyama

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Sparring without forms is just brawling.

I just realized what was bothering me about this statement.

Ok, I agree with you with what you meant. But I have to point out that in a brawl on the street you may end up dead. Sparring has much less chance of getting you killed. In a brawl on the street, you do not know what is going to happen next. Will he pull a weapon, will his friends jump in, etc. Sparring is pretty much set.

Quite simply put, anytime two people agree to "fight" it is not a combat situation. There are a lot of people that point to their record at mutualy agreed fiistcuffs as "combat experience." And they base the evolution of what they create their art to be based on this simulation of combat.

And of course, it does not satisfy many of us.

Nothing short of lessons built on actual, trustworthy, combat experiences should be used as the standard for what a combat oriented art should become. Thus I stand by the lessons of Rex Applegate and his shooting method over those of the biggest Practical Pistol Competition (PPC) champion anyday.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Ok, I agree with you with what you meant. But I have to point out that in a brawl on the street you may end up dead. Sparring has much less chance of getting you killed. In a brawl on the street, you do not know what is going to happen next. Will he pull a weapon, will his friends jump in, etc. Sparring is pretty much set.
I thought of that after I posted... But yes, by brawling, I meant unskilled fighting. I've done a bit of sparring, and new students will always go back to what they know (or think they know), and forget everything you've taught them...

Jeff

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
But yes, by brawling, I meant unskilled fighting.

So maybe we can agree that the term "flailing" might be a better word? I know I am being anal retentive, but I do teach English for a living.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
So maybe we can agree that the term "flailing" might be a better word? I know I am being anal retentive, but I do teach English for a living.
Flailing it is. Don't make me start critiquing your posts for spelling/grammar... :2xbird:

Jeff