Even Grandmasters have brain farts

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone been around an instructor, (or been the instructor) who was showing a technique, or was about to reveiw something, when all a sudden he/she could not remember what what they were doing or what the technique name was?

I have had it happen with all my instructors. My Aiki sensei has been teaching for over 30 years. One class period we were about to go over a Tenchi Nage Variation, and he couldnt think of the name. He referred to the Dojo technique book before naming it.
A Ninjutsu instructor in my area did the same thing. of course he is a Shodan so it is less extreme than someone who has been doing the same martial art for 36 years

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that we all have them at times. The brain may be thinking of way to many things and you just go blank, or say something that is incorrect. :idunno:
I think anyone who has been teaching for a while experiences this once in a while.
It sure can be a humbling experience

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think that's limited to Ninjutsu. I've seen it happen in Kenpo with every instructor I've had. Even Ed Parker Jr., did go blank once during a seminar, trying to think of the name of a very common Kenpo technique. Just goes to show that it happens to even the best of us, regardless of style. It likely is what tshadowchaser said, the mind can be so busy thinking of too many things at once.

- Ceicei

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was watching one of my SKH videos, and he goes blank for a while. someone asks him a "what if" question, and he says"...........well.......sometimes we dont achieve our goals........the basketball player doesnt always make the shot...." and went on like that.

I do it all the time, and Ive only begun to tap the Martial arts (well, eight years of tapping,......literally)

A

auxprix

I don't practice ninjutsu, but this topic is pretty relevant to everyone.

My Sensei has never in my presence forgotten the name of a technique, but he is often at a loss to come up with the english translation, as he doesn't speak fluent Japanese.

the most extreme example of a brain fart that he had was during a Sankaku (a choke using the legs) demonstration, where he couldn't lock the technique. Now he's done this manuvre countless times, but he must have just not had the feel at that moment. Pretty soon, we were all crowded around him and his unfortunate demonstration partner trying to figure out what he was doing wrong, shouting commands of "move your leg" and "twist that arm" but making no progress. After about 10 minutes of shuffling around, he finally gave up saying "Forget it. Looks like I have some reading to do tonight. Let this be a lesson to all of you...Even senseis don't know everything." He worked it out that evening. On the next lesson, he demonstrated it perfectly on the first try.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing that is interesting about my Aiki Sensei forgetting a technique name, is that he speaks wonderful Japanese......He is a Shinto preist........

Speaking of Sangaku......,
My Ninjutsu Instructor was performing O'Gyaku Henka, and the Uke was not cooperating. the uke tackled him, and the sensei locked him in Sangaku jime.

E

Elizium

Instructors do have a lot to show when on the mat. Which is why before hand you refer to your notes prior to showing the technique. Even students have this problem as it happens to all of us.

Me personally, I just do a technique that is basic and add to it to make it work better. Something along the lines of a kick, punch, a painful nip or grab or a choke out.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

It is a biological function, nothing more or less.

Regards, Gary

U

unterlich

its better if the sensei read the book then if the sensei tell the wrong name.
no problem its called humanity

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, it would be better if sensei came right out and admitted their error. What really looks bad is when they try and cover it up and let their pride win. Keepin' it real works better in my opinion. But, again, it's just my opinon. I have a greater respect for someone if they just say, "I screwed up." Let me figure it out. Of course this is a rarity for most sensei's I would imagine.

Latest Discussions