Ferris Bueller- "Life moves fast"

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ferris Bueller has this famous line- "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!" Anyway, on his day off, Ferris did anything but stop. He did so much in that one day that you wouldn't exactly call it stopping. Sure he cut school and all, but he perhaps learned and did more in that one day than he would've done and learned in a week of school. He got so much done that rather than stop, what he did was to go go go!!!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, PhotonGuy for posting this......

I liked the movie and thought it was entertaining and funny.
Below are some interesting facts about the film.

Hughes wrote the screenplay in less than a week and shot the film—on a budget of $5.8 million—over several months in late 1985. Featuring many famous Chicago landmarks including the then Sears Tower and the Art Institute of Chicago, the film was Hughes' love letter to the city: "I really wanted to capture as much of Chicago as I could. Not just in the architecture and landscape, but the spirit.
Released by Paramount Pictures on June 11, 1986, Ferris Bueller's Day Off became one of the top-grossing films of the year and was enthusiastically received by critics and audiences alike.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes those are some good facts to know about the movie. Anyway, with this "life moves fast" line from Ferris Bueller, he's right, life does move fast. That is why my philosophy in life, which I've posted about a bit on other boards, is to do as much as you can as soon as you can. Get as much done as you can in as little amount of time, because life moves fast and time moves fast. Therefore, do everything you can in the smallest amount of time because your time will be gone before you know it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ferris Bueller has this famous line- "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!" Anyway, on his day off, Ferris did anything but stop. He did so much in that one day that you wouldn't exactly call it stopping. Sure he cut school and all, but he perhaps learned and did more in that one day than he would've done and learned in a week of school. He got so much done that rather than stop, what he did was to go go go!!!

Yes those are some good facts to know about the movie. Anyway, with this "life moves fast" line from Ferris Bueller, he's right, life does move fast. That is why my philosophy in life, which I've posted about a bit on other boards, is to do as much as you can as soon as you can. Get as much done as you can in as little amount of time, because life moves fast and time moves fast. Therefore, do everything you can in the smallest amount of time because your time will be gone before you know it.

Well, that's one way to completely miss the point of the quote and film....

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, that's one way to completely miss the point of the quote and film....

The point of the film was to have fun watching it. It was a comedy and it was about taking time off from the everyday routine to enjoy life. Also, it was about how much our friend, Ferris Bueller, was able to fit into one day.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a lot of good sense in that, given we're (presumably) only here (on Earth) the one time (unless you're a Hindu) so you might as well experience as much as you can of what it has to offer...the thing is, some things just take time. If you just dip in and then dash off to the next big thing - you're going to miss getting your hands on the real goods.
Is it better to paint a crapy picture, dash off a half-ar#@d poem, learn two chords on the guitar, followed by two weeks learning the trapeze or to devote a year (or ten) to creating (and to experience the creation of) a work of art?

I'm not sure and maybe the true answer is different to every person.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The point of the film was to have fun watching it. It was a comedy and it was about taking time off from the everyday routine to enjoy life. Also, it was about how much our friend, Ferris Bueller, was able to fit into one day.

Wrong, as Chris has pointed out, the film and the quote itself was actually a portrayal of the true strivings one should apply to koryu and the inner meaning of true kata application (d'uh, how could you miss that!!!???!) : )

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a neutral place to chill, great concept....

The Locker Room Bar & Grill

For non martial arts talk. This is the place to relax, unwind n just chat about whatever. Stop in, pull up a stool and say hello. This is the place to kick back, relax, catch up on whats new with everyone, and just chat.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a neutral place to chill, great concept....

The Locker Room Bar & Grill

For non martial arts talk. This is the place to relax, unwind n just chat about whatever. Stop in, pull up a stool and say hello. This is the place to kick back, relax, catch up on whats new with everyone, and just chat.

Oh no, am I being growled at? I thought my last post was clearly a joke (in that, it was humorous and not a joke in itself that is), if not, apologies to all if some rule has been broken

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not at all, just a general statement expounding on the concepts of a thread far removed from some of the more confrontational areas. Nothing directed toward anyone specific, after all, this is "The Locker Room Bar & Grill". A safe zone so to speak... :)