Feling very bad

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am felin very bad, not phisically buy emotionaly, I don't feel happy at the dojang anymore, I am a third dan black belt in TKD and been doing it for almost 30 years with it's in's and outs but long enough I think. TKD evolved (to me) in an outstanding sport and I am like a dinosaur, I am from the old school, the good old times where TKD was a beautiful and extremely good martial art focus in the self defense. Today all the dojangs in my citya are the same thing I mean all are sport TKD full with children and trainings directed to win trophys/medals and can not stand it.
I am a warrior still and need to begin to look forward to another martial art that fills my needs.

Any advice?

El Manny

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Start your own school with the focus that you want.

Alternately you might be able to start an "adults only" class at your dojang with the specific focus you wish, apart from the "Jr. Dragons" sport club.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Start an anti-bullying class focused on learning to use TKD as a self-defense
Nah. Don't work with kids at all. Too much "anti-bullying" crap revolves around "tell an adult" and "understand the poor bully just feels bad about himself." Teaching the kid to actually hit or kick a bully is too much liability.

Just stick with adults.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am felin very bad, not phisically buy emotionaly, I don't feel happy at the dojang anymore, I am a third dan black belt in TKD and been doing it for almost 30 years with it's in's and outs but long enough I think. TKD evolved (to me) in an outstanding sport and I am like a dinosaur, I am from the old school, the good old times where TKD was a beautiful and extremely good martial art focus in the self defense. Today all the dojangs in my citya are the same thing I mean all are sport TKD full with children and trainings directed to win trophys/medals and can not stand it.
I am a warrior still and need to begin to look forward to another martial art that fills my needs.

Any advice?

El Manny

I feel your pain. I did TKD many years ago and have watched it change. I also have been doing Taijiquan for over 20 years and it use to be a bunch of us actually training the martial arts of it, but now it is mostly people wanting to do a slow moving meditation.

I looked to other arts to train.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Check out Filipino Martial arts (Arnis, Kali, Eskrima) we tend to get a lot of guys with assorted martial arts backgrounds and it's more geared towards adults. Every art is gonna have its share of questionable characters but I like that FMA is usually a pretty casual atmosphere and pretty tolerant of diverse training backgrounds.

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Challenge your master to the death. Wield a lawn flamingo in each hand.

Or just ask your instructor if you can run a heavier contact class a couple of times a week. It sounds like you have the experience needed to do such a thing.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Challenge your master to the death. Wield a lawn flamingo in each hand.

Or just ask your instructor if you can run a heavier contact class a couple of times a week. It sounds like you have the experience needed to do such a thing.

I had my own adult class with my sabonim (owner and head of the dojang), he gave me carte blanch to run the adult class, I had 5 adults and the class was oriented to clasic TKD. Sadly my sabonim leave us on july 2014, he returned to Mexico City to take caero of his dojangs there and the dojang I went was given to a female sabonim and since then thinhgs had not been easy. The actual sabonim and owner of the dojang erease my class to put cardio fitness class and ... well the only thing I've been doing since last year is asist her with the peewess but there is no growing for me in the dojang and I am sick and tired of only doing kicking circuits and not focusing in the art of tae kwon do.

Opening my own dojang is a good thing altough finantialy I am not in big bucks to expend or invest rigth now.

Manny

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's rough, Manny. You should talk to the new head about this, or just find a new dojang or a completely new school. It must be hard to consider switching to another discipline but it may be your best option considering the current state of popular TKD. I'd personally love to learn some classic TKD, but I don't expect to find it very easily.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah. Don't work with kids at all. Too much "anti-bullying" crap revolves around "tell an adult" and "understand the poor bully just feels bad about himself." Teaching the kid to actually hit or kick a bully is too much liability.

Just stick with adults.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The anti-bullying classes that revolves around "tell an adult" are crap. No offense to anyone that does this. The only reason that a child should tell an adult about a bully is so that when fight day comes, that child will have an adult on his / her side when the questions are being asked who started the fight and who was at fault. As a kid I made sure that at least 2 or 3 teachers knew that I was getting bullied, that way when I knock the bully out, those 3 teachers are my witness for why I knocked the bully out.

I teach my son this important first step so when he takes the bully out the adults will know that he wasn't at fault, making it less likely that he'll be suspended for defending himself. I teach our kid students this same process as the first step. The second step is for them to know how to defend themselves. We even tell the parents that, telling a teacher doesn't guarantee that their child will be safe from the bully. Depending on where that bully lives the child will be in even more danger after school. We tell parents the reality of the situation and we ask the parents the hard questions and scenarios like. Ok your child tells the teacher, but the bully knows where you child lives, or lives in the same neighborhood. Or the bully pretends to be friends with your child just so that they can beat your child up outside of school. None of those scenarios are covered by "tell an adult" or "understand the poor bully just feels bad about himself." Bullying has gotten worse sense these tactics have been implemented.

Do you know who bullies don't mess with? People who can beat them up. We let the parents know that when all else fails your kid better know how to fight or at the very least lose without being beaten severely.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had my own adult class with my sabonim (owner and head of the dojang), he gave me carte blanch to run the adult class, I had 5 adults and the class was oriented to clasic TKD. Sadly my sabonim leave us on july 2014, he returned to Mexico City to take caero of his dojangs there and the dojang I went was given to a female sabonim and since then thinhgs had not been easy. The actual sabonim and owner of the dojang erease my class to put cardio fitness class and ... well the only thing I've been doing since last year is asist her with the peewess but there is no growing for me in the dojang and I am sick and tired of only doing kicking circuits and not focusing in the art of tae kwon do.

Opening my own dojang is a good thing altough finantialy I am not in big bucks to expend or invest rigth now.

Manny
Oh now your situation is easier to understand. Basically the martial arts has stopped and turned into something else entirely. At that point you would be better off practicing on your own revisiting the basics in order to get a deeper understanding and finding some MMA guys that don't mind sparring with you.

Latest Discussions